chocko101
Conscript

Re: The Blockade System Explained

Wed May 03, 2017 4:41 am

Principles and Cardinal, thank you for the feedback. Very helpful.

BigDuke66
General

Sun Apr 01, 2018 5:44 pm

What happens to those ports that are not blocked but conquered? Will such a port still add % to the blockade?
"Spread word to every slave, that even the mighty republic bleeds when struck!"
Join the Napoleonic Wargame Club
Join the American Civil War Game Club
Join the The Blitz Wargaming Club

Captain_Orso

Mon Apr 02, 2018 2:14 pm

Yes, but to 100% and not 50%. Taking New Orleans alone can mean about 5 or 10%.

BigDuke66
General

Sun Apr 08, 2018 10:08 pm

@PhilThib
The list on the first post, is "St Joseph" in the region "The Dead Lakes" Florida missing just by accident or on purpose?
If it's purposely missing I wonder if that is an error as afaik all other coastal ports are on the list(except Southport opposite of Wilmington & Ornge opposite of Beaumont but I guess because of the opposite ports they are purposely missing), why it should not be so with St Joseph is unclear to me as there is no port opposite of it.

BigDuke66
General

Mon Apr 30, 2018 5:18 am

Is there a reason that the distant blockade feature does not apply on New Orleans?
I had NO blocked by taking Fort Jackson & Fort St Philip, blockade value rose to 70%.
This turn it's back in 55% and the blockade symbol isn't showing up for NO.

Captain_Orso

Tue May 01, 2018 7:11 am

IIRC it's because New Orleans has a canal system out to Lake Pontchartrain and from there through Fort Pke at the south-east side of the lake into the Gulf. This isn't terribly apparent, because the game doesn't allow for a region to have two harbors, which NO kind of actually has, although the Lake Pontchartrain harbor was actually just a cargo harbor for off-loading goods, for bringing them into the city on canal barges.

Also, if you ride up the Mississippi to the Red River confluent you can then sail down the Atchafalaya River into the Gulf as well, so Distant Blockade is not really possible.

BigDuke66
General

Tue May 01, 2018 6:03 pm

Ok but why did it work for some turns and now not?
Can't imaging that it was some time limited, maybe the Confederate pulled something off but what could that be?

Captain_Orso

Fri May 04, 2018 6:35 pm

Look in '..\CW2\Events\USADistantBlockades.sct', New Orleans IS included.

To see if it is in affect or not, the absolute certain way it to look in '..\Documents\My Games\CivilWarII\CW2\Scripts\' at the 'ScriptReport0000.txt' for the turns in question. '0000' is the internal turn number starting with 1750-Jan-Early being 0001 IIRC, and each file exists only once, so if you have two or more scenario's being played at the same time, one will eventually overwrite the logs of the other, on the time frames of each scenario.

BigDuke66
General

Sat Jun 16, 2018 6:10 pm

Do Rebel ships in the blockade boxes have any effect?
At least I don't see that they lower the shown blockade value.

Captain_Orso

Sun Jun 17, 2018 3:24 pm

CS Brigs in the Blockade Boxes are considered Blockade Runners and bring some money and occasionally a WSU per turn. When the Brigs return to port they also are given a bonus of money and/or WSU, but there are dangers involved. Entering and leaving the Blockade Boxes, when Blockade Flotillas and/or other patrolling combat ships are present, greatly increases the chances of the Blockade Runners being caught(1) and possible forced into battle, especially when they've been at sea for an extended period of time and their cohesion is lowered. Therefore they should always be set to evade combat, and many say to PP (Passive Posture), bc it will enhance their chance of escape, but it will also increase the damage they take if they are caught, so you'll have to decide where you want to take your chances.

Blockade Runners require extensive management, especially if you use a lot of them. The last time I played the Confederacy, I filled the Gulf Blockade Box with all the Runners I could build. I used the Gulf Blockade Box only, bc from an income point of view, which box you use makes no difference, and unless you have bad whether or your Runner has lost a lot of cohesion while in the Box, you can generally get them from the Box into harbor (Mobile) in one turn. That means two turns longer in the Box collecting money while cycling them if they can make the trip in one turn. The Atlantic Box always takes two turns to get to harbor, regardless of which harbor you were to use.

So every single turn you have to look at ALL of you Runners to check their supply status, bc when the run out of supplies at sea they start to take hits and lose huge amounts of cohesion, which means it take even longer to get back to harbor, which means even more hits and cohesion loss, and plus repairing hits is costly and time consuming--basically the Runner might as well have stayed in port--, so it's something you rand to avoid like the pest.

(1) As the Union player, if you are trying to catch Raiders in the Shipping Lanes Box (I don't recall it working as will will the Blockade Boxes), build some small Hunter-Killer™ squadrons of a couple Sailing Frigates (ships), a few Steam Frigates, maybe 4 or so, preferably with a naval leader, and cycle them into and out of the Shipping Lanes. They must be in OP (Offensive Posture) while outside in the Boxes, for them to attack encountered ships, but in the Boxes and while entering and exiting the boxes, other rules apply, and they can be in DP as well, which lessens the Wear-n-Tear™ while in, entering or exiting the Boxes.

Cycling your Hunter-Killer™ squadrons in and out of the Shipping Lanes greatly increases the chances of them finding a Raider, but it also greatly increase Wear-n-Tear™, which means they quickly lose cohesion and may even take hits from bad weather and just general Wear-n-Tear™ while sailing in OP, which greatly lessens the chances of them finding a Raider. I only ever cycle them into the Shipping Lanes twice at the most, before they must return to harbor to recover.

You can also just leave them in the Shipping Lanes in DP if want to try your luck at passively patrolling, but from my experience, the chances of finding a Raider passively is pretty low.

Raiders in the Shipping Lanes can greatly lessen the money and WSU the Union gets for their Transports in the Shipping Lanes.

Return to “Civil War II”