Michael T
Sergeant

Depot Construction

Mon Nov 18, 2013 12:44 am

Can someone explain to me the requirements to build a depot. Because the manual's list of requirements is plainly not comprehensive. Sometimes I am able to build a depot and sometimes not. I have no idea why.

Manual lists just this:

Depot: It can be built at a cost of two Supply Wagons or by two

transports ships if a harbor or anchorage is in the region.

The tooltip will tell you that you may not be able to build a depot because of a lack of control or required units, but it does not tell you how much or how many.

Such an important mechanic, but again a lack of information.

Aurelin
Colonel

Mon Nov 18, 2013 2:37 am

Actually, it's by elements, not the counters. A full wagon has 4 elements, while a transport has only 2.

Not sure about the control needed, I *think* if yours is greater, you can build one. (Took Island #10 on one turn, and burned a wagon for the depot on the next. The supply filter showed it as green)

marquo
Lieutenant

Mon Nov 18, 2013 2:39 am

Mike,

I have had the same question; I think the wagon has to have supplies, and the region has to be somehow connected to the supply net - I am not sure about control, etc.\

Also - what happens if you use a 4 wagon unit rather than a 2 wagon unit - is the depot twice as big??

Geohff
Corporal

Mon Nov 18, 2013 2:40 am

The standard Supply Wagon is 4 wagons and the standard River Transport Ships is 2 ships, one of either will build the depot. The reason it must have an anchor only is if you use ships. To build you must FIRST control the area; ie: it must be turned your sides color. Once that is done you need to move the unit into the area and on the next turn you have the option to build the depot. Common problems. 1. You are trying with a 2 wagon Supply, which is very hard to figure out, check the unit and make sure it has the 4 wagons, or the unit has been damaged and lost a wagon or ship in a fight. 2. There is no anchor and you are trying to land a ship. 3. The area is not an area you control, even if no enemy are there it must be in your color. 4. No enemy unit moved into area the same time your unit did. Hope this helps some.

The Red Baron

Mon Nov 18, 2013 5:29 am

With a 4 element wagon train, the depot is the same size. I believe the 2 element build was instituted to benefit the CSA, which lacks the cash and supply wagon building ability of the Union.

Michael T
Sergeant

Mon Nov 18, 2013 5:36 am

Ok I think the manual is wrong or I am doing soemthing wrong. I am able to build supply depots with wagons and transport ships that have 4 wagons or 4 ships. If I use wagons or transports with only 2 wagons or 2 ships I cannot build a depot. This is in the same port under identical circumstances.

So 4 works, 2 does not.

I thought at some stage I did build a depot with 2 wagon/ship units but I can't replicate that now.

The Red Baron

Mon Nov 18, 2013 11:35 pm

The same problem happened to me. In one game I was able to use a 2-element supply wagon to build a depot. Later, in a different game (or maybe the same game, I don't remember which), I couldn't build a depot using a 2-element supply wagon, and I was surprised. In both instances I was playing as the Union. Since the initial time, I have been unable to construct a depot using the 2-element supply wagon.

Pocus

Tue Nov 19, 2013 10:26 am

According to the depot file:

EltSubType0 = $SupplyType
EltAmount0 = 4

so that's 4

Hofstadter's Law: "It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's law."

RebelYell
General of the Army

Tue Nov 19, 2013 11:18 am

Use the flatboats for depots when possible. :)

loki100
AGEod Guard of Honor

Tue Nov 19, 2013 11:27 am

marquo wrote:Mike,

I have had the same question; I think the wagon has to have supplies,

No, you can build a depot with empty wagons, its the elements that matter. For obvious reasons, its often better to detach your expended wagons and use them for depot building
AJE The Hero, The Traitor and The Barbarian
PoN Manufacturing Italy; A clear bright sun
RoP The Mightiest Empires Fall
WIA Burning down the Houses; Wars in America; The Tea Wars

Ol' Choctaw

Tue Nov 19, 2013 12:43 pm

I think a certain amount of supplies is required but they usually gain that in the supply phase before the depot is constructed.

StoneWall Jackson
Corporal

Tue Nov 19, 2013 4:45 pm

RebelYell wrote:Use the flatboats for depots when possible. :)

I had not thought about that, thank you RebelYell. ;)
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

The Red Baron

Wed Nov 20, 2013 4:50 am

Pocus wrote:According to the depot file:

EltSubType0 = $SupplyType
EltAmount0 = 4

so that's 4

Thanks for the clarification, although I was positive I used a 2-element supply unit at one point to build a depot.

@ RebelYell: excellent tip about the flatboats. I love finding little gems like that on the forum.

Return to “Civil War II”