Gen.DixonS.Miles
Captain

Promotions.

Sun Nov 17, 2013 2:35 pm

How much seniority must be attained for a commander before that commander can be promoted? Does it also depend on the generals ratings?
“In my opinion, Colonel Miles was a drunkard, a coward and a traitor, and if I had the power I would have had the United States buttons taken from his coat.”

Elble, Sigmund-Soldier with the 3rd U.S. Infantry

Elble, an officer on the frontier who knew Miles well

Le Ricain

Sun Nov 17, 2013 2:46 pm

I believe that if you move the commander's seniority up by 4, you will be able to promote him. If there are leaders of the same rank, but higher seniority (lower number), then there will be NM & VP penalties for promoting junior generals over senior generals.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

'Nous voilà, Lafayette'

Colonel C.E. Stanton, aide to A.E.F. commander John 'Black Jack' Pershing, upon the landing of the first US troops in France 1917

Gen.DixonS.Miles
Captain

Sun Nov 17, 2013 3:26 pm

Thanks Le Ricain.
“In my opinion, Colonel Miles was a drunkard, a coward and a traitor, and if I had the power I would have had the United States buttons taken from his coat.”

Elble, Sigmund-Soldier with the 3rd U.S. Infantry

Elble, an officer on the frontier who knew Miles well

The Red Baron

Sun Nov 17, 2013 5:00 pm

One other add'l piece of info I learned the hard way: if a general gains seniority, but you don't promote him immediately, he may later lose his seniority from lost battles and no longer be promotable until he wins enough fights to achieve the 4 pt difference required for promotion.

melvi
Corporal

Sun Nov 17, 2013 8:13 pm

If you move your mouse cursor above the + icon in the promote screen there is a tooltip that says the requeriments for promoting a general. Tooltips give a lot of info in most ocassions.
If your general earns 4 or more seniority points and you dont promote him that turn, he will loose seniority ( iirc 1 point per turn) doing nothing, he dont "need" to loose a battle to loose seniority, till his starting seniority value ( they never go under their starting seniority value unless they loose a battle).

Regards:

Melvi

The Red Baron

Mon Nov 18, 2013 5:21 am

I wish this was documented in the manual (tool tips don't indicate loss of seniority due to inactivity). I let two promotion slip by waiting to improve another general's seniority first.

RebelYell
General of the Army

Tue Nov 19, 2013 8:13 pm

I lost two promotions by placing the leaders inside a structure after I pressed to promote them. The promotions should be made easier to use, from the generals list would be good.

John S. Mosby
Lieutenant

Wed Nov 20, 2013 1:25 am

RebelYell wrote:I lost two promotions by placing the leaders inside a structure after I pressed to promote them. The promotions should be made easier to use, from the generals list would be good.

One cannot be promoted inside a structure? Never knew that. Was that intended? What's the reasoning?

willgamer
Lieutenant Colonel

Wed Nov 20, 2013 4:17 am

John S. Mosby wrote:One cannot be promoted inside a structure? Never knew that. Was that intended? What's the reasoning?

As near as I can tell, it's moving/changing the status of a unit that cancels a promotion. I'm almost certain I've promoted units inside structures as long as clicking the promotion was the last thing I did with that unit.

The Red Baron

Wed Nov 20, 2013 4:46 am

This jives with my recent experience. Promos seem to work if it's the last thing you do with the stack in which the general resides.

Le Ricain

Wed Nov 20, 2013 11:27 am

I can confirm this promotion quirk. Pressing the promotion button needs to be the last thing done to a leader in a given turn.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

'Nous voilà, Lafayette'

Colonel C.E. Stanton, aide to A.E.F. commander John 'Black Jack' Pershing, upon the landing of the first US troops in France 1917

Pocus

Fri Nov 22, 2013 3:31 pm

Someone has a save with a promotable leader?

Hofstadter's Law: "It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's law."

Return to “Civil War II”