Byrd
Lieutenant

A couple of questions for my fellow players

Thu Oct 10, 2013 2:14 pm

Hey guys

I'm currently in my second Confederate campaign; the first one ended far too quick with me taking Washington, more by accident in late '61. I'm using Colonel for difficulty and the usual settings to keep the game a good and proper challenge. And this campaign really is. Until now, I've relied on personal experience from ACW I, the manual and a couple of forum posts (on division composition for example).

But now that my campaign reached late '62 I noticed some problems which seem to be much more intense in ACW II, which I do relish, don't get me wrong but I'd like to learn how you guys face those issues.

As to recruitment:

With ACW II I've discovered that the AI concentrates it's early Invasion forces much more numerous and faster. Usually I recruited units for the Virginia front only in the Carolinas and maybe Georgia additional to VA to keep distances as short as possible and to reserve the other areas of recruitment for the western theater. This time around, it seems that the AI is not granting me that luxury. In early and late '61, I have to ship every unit built on the map to the Eastern theater to keep them away from West Virginia and the Shenandoah and to face the humongous armies they raise under McDowell, Banks and McClellan. How do you guys recruit? Do you keep the recruited units in their respective theaters or do you move them all to Richmond in '61 and '62?

Do you guys recruit bigger, regular regiments or do you assemble them by training conscripts and militias and adding artillery, cavalry and stuff in the process?

As to armies:

In the beginning I keep Beauregard and Jo Johnston in Virginia. As Lee becomes active, I keep his army in VA and send out corps; Beauregard usualy moves to either Georgia or Louisina to keep away invading Yankee forces. Both Johnston's are send to either Tennessee or Arkansas. I usually field four armies. How do you guys keep it early in the war and how does it usually develop?

As to the economy:

I discovered that even with slight investment in industry, war supplies never become an issue. As to manpower, I run low in the early war, but as soon as I can mobilize or pay premiums, that is settled as well. The sole problem is money. I've thought about expanding my navy because it seems that smugglers can add an additional 100 per turn if success and plentiful. But it's a dangerous game and takes some time to build up. Now I've read that either Arsenals or Armories add some money, and I end up gaining about 200 by mid '62 which is probably how it should be for the CA; again, I'm not complaining, I wanna optimize. So the question would be, how much do you invest in industry early on? Do you build up your navy and if so, how strong?

I'd greatly appreciate some answers.

Best regards from Germany

P.s This game needs a pbem helper ;)

Return to “Civil War II”