Joe Wheeler
Corporal

Element frontage question for good old Ace...

Tue Sep 24, 2013 4:36 pm

Sorry I can't make a screen shot. I open the info panel for a particular element and under the combat tab there are some entries that I can't figure out and they are certainly not explained in the very basic manual.
Frontage open
Frontage closed
Combat signature
What are these and what effect in game?

Thank you.

Ace

Tue Sep 24, 2013 8:26 pm

Every unit has its frontage value. These values are different depending on the terrain where the combat takes place, as well as the weather. Mountains, swamps, hils, forests, forts, cities have lower frontage space - meaning fewer units can fight at the same time.
Regular units have low frontage value in open terrain - meaning you can deploy a lot of them in the combat line, and big frontage value in difficult terrain - in mountains you can deploy onlyfew units to fight at the same time.
At the same time irregular units - like partisans and light infantry have smaller frontage values in difficult terrain - meaning you can deploy more of them at the same time.
I do not know for certain what exactly Frontage open and frontage closed numbers mean - but I think it has to do with what I said here - frontage of unit in open and difficult terrain.
Combat signature is exactly that combat signature - likeliness a unit will be targeted in combat. Units with high CS will be on average targeted before units with low CS.

There is an excel spreadsheet with various frontages for various units in various weather and various terrain. It is easy to understand why all these numbers do not need to be represented in the game. No one wants to look at units stats looking like an excel spreadsheet. That is why this info can be found on forum and on AACW1 wiki. It is an excellent site to learn the game basics. Do not tire yourself with these numbers. The game can be played excellently just by vaguely knowing that large force in hill will not neccecarly bring victory, just because the defender is defending that one pass where only limited amount of units can fight at the time.

Return to “Civil War II”