Boomer
Lieutenant Colonel

Thu Jun 20, 2013 10:05 am

RebelYell wrote:You play the Union? :mdr:

Sometimes. Born and bred in the South, though. My great great grandpappy in the 28th Louisiana would kick my butt though if he saw me marching my blue coats around Shiloh.

Back to the supply thing. Command points. That's all I'm saying. Some of you guys have proposed the idea, and I like it. CPs would allow the limiting of movement and action, just like supply would, while still making the campaigns a fluid and engaging thing... without all the added trouble of depots, wagons, and bottlenecks.

I pay attention to what other laymen on other forums say about my type of games, and from what I gather, the typical NON-hardcore strategy gamer finds the mechanics and supply issues in AGEOD games to be very frustrating. With something simpler coded in like command points, I think they entire WEGO style strategy genre could take on a whole new market and get out of the hardcore niche corner it's been in for years. Many casual players take one look at a AGE map and just shake their heads and go elsewhere. The AGE engine itself is very good. It just needs to be tweaked, IMO.

RebelYell
General of the Army

Thu Jun 20, 2013 11:21 am

Boomer wrote:Sometimes. Born and bred in the South, though. My great great grandpappy in the 28th Louisiana would kick my butt though if he saw me marching my blue coats around Shiloh.

Back to the supply thing. Command points. That's all I'm saying. Some of you guys have proposed the idea, and I like it. CPs would allow the limiting of movement and action, just like supply would, while still making the campaigns a fluid and engaging thing... without all the added trouble of depots, wagons, and bottlenecks.

I pay attention to what other laymen on other forums say about my type of games, and from what I gather, the typical NON-hardcore strategy gamer finds the mechanics and supply issues in AGEOD games to be very frustrating. With something simpler coded in like command points, I think they entire WEGO style strategy genre could take on a whole new market and get out of the hardcore niche corner it's been in for years. Many casual players take one look at a AGE map and just shake their heads and go elsewhere. The AGE engine itself is very good. It just needs to be tweaked, IMO.

I just think that introducing some command point system would make it even more complex.

The supply realism can just be an option in the menu, realistic supply ON.

Why reinvent the wheel? When a big issue in Union strategy was about supply and taking river systems for that, why not show that in the game?

Narwhal

Thu Jun 20, 2013 3:51 pm

Cohesion recovery is the average of the elements in an unit. If one element has 100% and the other 0%, the average will be different than 50/50% due to one gaining 0/turn.

Captain_Orso

Thu Jun 20, 2013 7:50 pm

Ace wrote:The brigade/division cohesion toolotip can be misleading as it shows average cohesion recovery of brigade units. Since some units in it may already be at 100% cohesion, brigade tooltip would show lower average brigade cohesion recovery since it contains units with 0,0 cohesion recovery rate. The cohesion recovery rate of individual elements is not influenced by the brigade average.

Narwhal wrote:Cohesion recovery is the average of the elements in an unit. If one element has 100% and the other 0%, the average will be different than 50/50% due to one gaining 0/turn.

Thanks for your replies Ace and Narwhal,

What is displayed on the tool-tip I would imagine would be. For an individual regiment or battery, unless a single regiment or battery unit, there is no way to see what that regiment or battery's CR rate is.

In my test scenario I sent a corp marching along for several months without stop going from one city to another so that they always had enough supplies. Once their average was down to about 10 cohesion points--some were lower(at least one infantry regiment was at 3), the skirmishers, cavalry and artillery were higher--I let them stand outside a level 3 city with supplies, but no depot.

It was November when they arrived and the weather was fair and their CR rate was about 1.78 per day.

When the weather went to snow their CR rate went down to 1.65.

Once they had entrenched to about level 3 or 4 their CR rate went up a little again.

Looking through the GameLogic.opt file, there are many environmental factors that influence the CR rate. Maybe there are other influence too like a unit with hits. I have no idea.

Having CR run a Sigmoid Curve would be nice, but certainly not a major issue.

I still think that having replacements cause a small cohesion loss to be a good idea. It's just a matter of logic. Plus I think as Stauffenberg showed, that a unit need so work the get replacements integrated into their new parent unit.

Captain_Orso

Thu Jun 20, 2013 9:12 pm

Stauffenberg wrote:I would like to come at this issue from another angle, one that does not at all argue against any of the specific points you make regarding cohesion recovery and replacements (fortunately for me! ;) ).

Rereading my initial post I realize I didn’t emphasize enough that I was out to talk about “Command Points”, or something like them, in conjunction with new supply depot dynamics. As things stand there is far too much leniency in what larger formations and stacks are actually able to do, and the penalties for doing the improbable are too light.

I think the best example I can give is Grant’s Richmond-Petersburg “siege” from June ’64 to late March ’65. Grant wanted to get at Richmond and cut Lee off from Richmond somehow and force him to battle. In his memoirs he states that his first idea was to have ten days of supplies in wagons and to cut loose from his main supply line and depots, moving down east of the Blue Ridge to the west of Lee. He would then swing to the East, moving to cut Lee off from Richmond. The most interesting thing he has to say here is that he would have done it if he had experience with the Army of the Potomac, but that in early 1864 there was no time for the command relationship to develop: he didn't know the AoP, and the AoP didn't know him.

That to me directly raises the issue of command initiative which I think could be effectively (and without massive complexity) be detailed as Command Points, or call it a given general's Command Initiative Rating, one that is always either increasing or decreasing turn by turn depending upon his activity or inactivity.

As it turned out Grant moved SE across the James after a series of battles, lured by the instant availability of a massive supply boost shipped in on the James to an upgraded harbour depot at City Point. The game really does model the superiority of river supply over RR and land very well. But then note how the campaign developed in this “siege” of Richmond-Petersburg.

[ATTACH]22986[/ATTACH]

In the first instance it was not a classic “siege” as the attached map shows: Lee and his positions were never surrounded. What we end up with is a massively fortified arc of positions from the north of Richmond to the south of Petersburg, a large inverted *C* some 50 miles long. Question: why didn’t Grant, with greatly superior forces and two entire Army commands north and south of the James attempt this? Clearly, all he had to do was effectively cut both the Southside RR into Petersburg, and the Richmond & Danville Line into Richmond, for Lee's entire position to become untenable. Grant knew this, but would not or could not do it and one has to wonder why. The answer is that his supply situation would degenerate drastically the further he got from his main supply head on the James, and that developing a major new supplyhead from Fredericksburg to the north would take too much time or was otherwise not feasible.

In game terms this situation is unlikely to occur as armies and their subordinate corps are only limited by a possible inactive stack, as the need for a developed and dedicated supply line to supply head is not articulated strongly enough. It is an immediate flaw I noticed from my first pbems: the skilled Union player will usually use a sort of “pawn-storm” offense with numerous mutually supporting corps stacks (with a supply wagon each of course) advancing and occupying large swathes of Virginia and certainly able to surround CSA positions in a manner that Grant himself was unable to do late in the war. There are various methods the CSA player can employ to thwart or even defeat this approach but the point I think is that the lack of CPs and more realistic supply constraints is at the root of the problem. Armies stayed as close to depots as they could get away with… or else they now and then loaded up with supplies and cut loose, but this was relatively rare, and it did not involve large constellations of corps churning on into enemy territory (Sherman's March to the Sea an exception). It also required an army commander-army relationship built up over time to allow for such an initiative.

A nice way to deal with this it seems to me is to have every Army Command (hereafter AC) generating CPs at a rate directly proportional to the strategic value of the general (obvious candidates for the fastest CP generation Lee, Jackson, Forrest, Grant, Sherman, Sheridan etc.). Move the general to a new army or corps command and it is set to zero. ACs generate CPs in regions with depots or adjacent to regions with major depots (built on top of regular depots at for the same cost—4 more supply elements). Once you move the AC, engage in combat, or if any of its elements does MTSG, there is a CP cost. AC’s with zero CPs can still move attack and defend but all factors are reduced—in particular attack strengths are halved. Something like that.

Back to my example of Grant and the “siege” of Richmond-Petersburg, there would be compelling reasons for the Union player to have his two ACs adjacent to the major supply depot in City Point harbour on the James, but with loaded up supply wagons and CPs independent commands could be sent around both flanks in an attempt to surround Lee. As it stands now you just load up a corps with some supply wagons… and you are good to go.

I also raised the issue of developing some sort of “interception movement” on the part of ACs but will leave that for another post.

Hi Stauffi :wavey: ,

I have to disagree with a number of things.

Grant's idea to bypass Lee by advancing east of the Blue Ridge Mountains was in lieu of attacking in The Wilderness. It would have left him with a less secure supply line. He wanted to keep himself between Lee and his supplies and therefore depended on ports as much as possible and constantly sidled around Lee's right to keep Lee away from his supply lines.

During the Overland Campaign Grant shifted his supply base a number of times; first from Aquia Creek, to Fredericksburg, then to Port Royal, to White House Landing on the Pamunkey River and finally, after crossing the James River, to City Point, where by he probably retained White House Landing for the troops above the James.

Before the campaign started, that Grant was a uncertain of what to expect from the Army of the Potomac is not surprising. Even when they had won a battle they never had advanced. Not after Antietam, not after Gettysburg. Grant advanced after Shiloh and nearly everywhere, as long as he had troops to fight. He simply didn't know whether rumors bore any validity that the men in the East just didn't "have the belly to fight".

After The Wilderness I think Grant had a good idea of who the troops and leaders were with whom he was dealing and how to handle them. That he fought one of the hardest battles of the war in Spotsylvania only days later attests to this.

Once Grant shifted to south of the James River--he still left substantial number above it--the battle lines became long and thin on both sides, but more so for the Union, being that they had to cover the outside of the arch. With Lee on the "inside-track" with much shorter distances to shift units from one point to another Grant could not afford to make great round-about maneuvers to get behind Lee's lines. He would have had to pull too many troops from the line to create a basically a third army--considering each force above and below the James to be an army in their own right--to push around one of the flanks. Grant didn't have that many troops; on top of which many of the most experienced were either dead or had left after their 3 year contracts expired.

Grant tried a number of times to shift forces to one end of the battle line and attack hard there or the other end, or both at the same time. The troops were leery of another Cold Harbor and Lee's genial shifting of his forces just kept Grant a bay until the last days of March '65; and part of this also had to do with Sheridan coming in from the Shenandoah Valley.

What I see is numerous instances of the situation dictating what Grant could and couldn't do and not an imaginary amount of Campaign Points that as far as I can see only correspond coincidentally with any real world facts pertaining to Grants ability to execute maneuvers with the troops he had on hand. Approaching the time of the break-through on Lee's right Grant was no less active in trying to find a way to break Lee's lines beyond what the weather dictated.

In the end it was fate that brought the curtain down when it fell. Were Picket with his division when Sheridan and Wilson pushed through his position, and not off at a dinner party unannounced and unreachable, the Siege may have carried on further, although certainly not indefinitely.

aryaman

Fri Jun 21, 2013 10:37 am

Another question I would like to call the attention is the issue of garrisons. The Union fielded ablout double the numbers of the CSA, however almost half of the troops were regularly kept in garrison duties, protecting supply lines and keeping territory under control. In game terms garrison are no as useful so the Union player doesn´t have the incentive to use them as much as it was the case historically, leaving the field armies with a superiorityin numbers over the enemy much smaller .

Captain_Orso

Fri Jun 21, 2013 11:40 am

If the Union isn't garrisoning his hinterland than it's the Confederate player's fault if he's not taking advantage of it.

If you find Morgan with a couple of cavalry regiments and an horse artillery suddenly up near Cleveland getting ready to smash up the artillery batteries the Union was building their and take that major US city, then you will think twice about not garrisoning.

aryaman

Fri Jun 21, 2013 1:45 pm

Whai I mean is that the Union player is not required to garrison as much as historically, for instance the Army of Cumberland at the Battle of Stone river had just 44.000 from a total of 81.000 efectives, the rest dispersed in Garrisons. No Union player will put almost half his force in garrisons

aryaman

Fri Jun 21, 2013 2:02 pm

To further clarify my point. Historically garrisons were very useful, the have several advantages absent in the game

1) Lower upkeeping cost. Units in garrison don´t need trains (supply, ammunition, bagage, artillery) nor the animals to pull the wagons.
2) They can train and drill, whgle units in campaign many times don´t have the time to do it.
3) They exert control over enemy territory, being able to secure war contributions.

Stauffenberg
General

Fri Jun 21, 2013 2:53 pm

aryaman wrote:To further clarify my point. Historically garrisons were very useful, the have several advantages absent in the game

1) Lower upkeeping cost. Units in garrison don´t need trains (supply, ammunition, bagage, artillery) nor the animals to pull the wagons.
2) They can train and drill, whgle units in campaign many times don´t have the time to do it.
3) They exert control over enemy territory, being able to secure war contributions.

This applies to the CSA as well and in my pbems we adjust the CSA divisional limit up to 50 to allow for numerous "static" commands that will invariably appear in various cities and important locations behind the main army fronts. Or you can think of them as training divisions made up of a large % of militia and commanded by less than stellar divisional commanders.

aryaman

Fri Jun 21, 2013 3:12 pm

Stauffenberg wrote:This applies to the CSA as well and in my pbems we adjust the CSA divisional limit up to 50 to allow for numerous "static" commands that will invariably appear in various cities and important locations behind the main army fronts. Or you can think of them as training divisions made up of a large % of militia and commanded by less than stellar divisional commanders.

Noit to the same extent, as CSA didn´t have to garrison enemy territory nor secure supply liones through it. In all the percentage of garrison over field forces in the Union army was considerably larger.

RebelYell
General of the Army

Fri Jun 21, 2013 3:23 pm

True, almost all the the colored regiments went as garrisons, that is close to 10% of the forces already there!

In game terms all regions with a major road, rail, town or harbor should be garrisoned.

dpt24
Sergeant

Fri Jun 21, 2013 3:44 pm

Do we really want American Civil War 2 to be micromanagement hell? Because both the Garrison idea and the Command point ideas sound like they'd increase the minutia by 100 percent. With garrisons we could have garrison units like in AJE and that would be fine but to have to detach even more troops for guard duty sounds pretty unpleasant.

RebelYell
General of the Army

Fri Jun 21, 2013 4:17 pm

dpt24 wrote:Do we really want American Civil War 2 to be micromanagement hell? Because both the Garrison idea and the Command point ideas sound like they'd increase the minutia by 100 percent. With garrisons we could have garrison units like in AJE and that would be fine but to have to detach even more troops for guard duty sounds pretty unpleasant.

Im sure it was unplesant in real life also, i have only suggested an option for realistic supply settings.

Im all for getting more players for these games, not scaring anyone.

dpt24
Sergeant

Fri Jun 21, 2013 4:31 pm

But it's not like Lincoln and Jefferson sat there and determined each garrison either

DrPostman

Fri Jun 21, 2013 5:06 pm

Stauffenberg wrote:This applies to the CSA as well and in my pbems we adjust the CSA divisional limit up to 50 to allow for numerous "static" commands that will invariably appear in various cities and important locations behind the main army fronts. Or you can think of them as training divisions made up of a large % of militia and commanded by less than stellar divisional commanders.

Where did they come up with the idea to limit CSA divisions to just 30?
I'm glad they made it easy to change that in the code but I don't see
why they would make such a small limit. Was there a historical aspect
to that? I have no clue how many divisions they had during the war but
I'm sure it was quite a few.
"Ludus non nisi sanguineus"

Stauffenberg
General

Washington Union vs the CSA Rebels

Fri Jun 21, 2013 6:57 pm

Captain_Orso wrote:Hi Stauffi :wavey: ,

I have to disagree with a number of things.

Grant's idea to bypass Lee by advancing east of the Blue Ridge Mountains was in lieu of attacking in The Wilderness. It would have left him with a less secure supply line. He wanted to keep himself between Lee and his supplies and therefore depended on ports as much as possible and constantly sidled around Lee's right to keep Lee away from his supply lines.

During the Overland Campaign Grant shifted his supply base a number of times; first from Aquia Creek, to Fredericksburg, then to Port Royal, to White House Landing on the Pamunkey River and finally, after crossing the James River, to City Point, where by he probably retained White House Landing for the troops above the James.

Hi there Mentat Orso :gardavou: ;)

Yes, I liken this to a game of rugby if you are familiar with it (my favourite sport btw). The ball is put into play in a scrum by Washington Union and Union gets it and surges forward into the Wilderness, is rebuffed and laterals left to attempt to drive forward at Spotsylvania and so on, lateraling left all the way to the James where the Union leftwing #11 Butler, after 5 opposing tackles, opts to keep running the ball forward across the James, and is finally brought down with a brilliant tackle made by the CSA fullback #15 Beauregard: Union gives up possession to the CSA Rebels a few meters from the goal line (on the outskirts of Petersburg and Richmond). :w00t:

My point is that without some sort of Campaign Point dynamic (or in rugby the 6 tackle=ball turnover rule) the Union could simply keep advancing and surround Lee’s positions at will—there’s just nothing stopping it other than stack activation and troop cohesion or supply issues. This critical limit is in place in rugby for very important game dynamics; i.e. initiative cannot simply be taken for granted and infinitely extended. It should be in AACW for game and historical reasons imho.

Once Grant shifted to south of the James River--he still left substantial number above it--the battle lines became long and thin on both sides, but more so for the Union, being that they had to cover the outside of the arch. With Lee on the "inside-track" with much shorter distances to shift units from one point to another Grant could not afford to make great round-about maneuvers to get behind Lee's lines. He would have had to pull too many troops from the line to create a basically a third army--considering each force above and below the James to be an army in their own right--to push around one of the flanks. Grant didn't have that many troops; on top of which many of the most experienced were either dead or had left after their 3 year contracts expired…

….What I see is numerous instances of the situation dictating what Grant could and couldn't do and not an imaginary amount of Campaign Points that as far as I can see only correspond coincidentally with any real world facts pertaining to Grants ability to execute maneuvers with the troops he had on hand. Approaching the time of the break-through on Lee's right Grant was no less active in trying to find a way to break Lee's lines beyond what the weather dictated.

In the end it was fate that brought the curtain down when it fell. Were Picket with his division when Sheridan and Wilson pushed through his position, and not off at a dinner party unannounced and unreachable, the Siege may have carried on further, although certainly not indefinitely.

Even agreeing with most of what you relate—if Lee could hold off a much superior force by remaining in his fortified works, so could Grant, and he would have been able to free up a powerful force to march around one or both wings to get at those rail lines. He obviously wanted to do this (as would any general worth his salt) and you can surely imagine that the Union player in this situation would not be content to sit and run the clock out.

Or perhaps they would. In the end Grant’s armies occupied Lee’s defensive works and took both cities, not because he surrounded or fought his way into them, but because Lee abandoned them. The advances of Sherman to the south, and above all the depleted nature of Lee’s supplies and replacements from a southern economy in tatters, finally obliged him to attempt to escape the siege. It was at this point of course that Grant was able to snap the trap shut.

..and Union player #1 Grant touches the ball down and scores a try...
GOAL!! :p ompom:

Stauffenberg
General

Fri Jun 21, 2013 6:58 pm

dpt24 wrote:Do we really want American Civil War 2 to be micromanagement hell? Because both the Garrison idea and the Command point ideas sound like they'd increase the minutia by 100 percent. With garrisons we could have garrison units like in AJE and that would be fine but to have to detach even more troops for guard duty sounds pretty unpleasant.

Make it a Game Option.

G.A.
Private

Sat Jun 22, 2013 6:52 pm

Pocus wrote:A major change is that we are reworking a lot of windows and panels so they are faster to display and that they look more understandable. I know that for some of you, it is not really a feature, but still, this is quite important to refresh ACW on that!
If you want a gameplay feature, then we will propose much more historical options than in ACW1 :)

To be honest, this is one of my main worries. With the map so large and apparently supply being so discussed, I'm kind of worried that the game might end up like Pride of Nations - huge, grand, and unplayable for all the processing that takes place each turn. I'm really hoping I can play this on my weak(er) computer. :)

RebelYell
General of the Army

Sun Jun 23, 2013 2:36 pm

dpt24 wrote:But it's not like Lincoln and Jefferson sat there and determined each garrison either

No but this is game an operational level game mostly.

Im sure Grant used many hours just thinking about his supply lines and the geography, logistics, weather and partisans etc..

Anyone read his memoirs? What does he say?

RebelYell
General of the Army

Sun Jun 23, 2013 5:26 pm

I have been reading Grants memoirs, i recommend to everyone. :thumbsup:

http://www.gutenberg.org/files/4367/4367-pdf/4367-pdf.pdf

Observations from games standpoint.

The amount of general supply for the rich agricultural ares in the game is too low.

The movement rates of the supply trains is too fast in smaller roads and should be very slow out of roads completely.

The road network is too advanced in the game, more tracks than roads needed and they should become of no use when there is mud.

Ammo supply still needs trains, even when you live of the land you need ammo.

All the regions around rivers and ones that have rails should be garrisoned, loyalty should stop supply transport if not garrisoned.

Now i will continue reading.

RebelYell
General of the Army

Sun Jun 23, 2013 6:16 pm

Interesting and news to me, CSA had better arms in the West!

CHAPTER 39. RETROSPECT OF THE CAMPAIGN

At Vicksburg 31,600 prisoners were surrendered, together with 172 cannon
about 60,000 muskets and a large amount of ammunition. The small-arms of the
enemy were far superior to the bulk of ours. Up to this time our troops at the
West had been limited to the old United States °int-lock muskets changed into
percussion, or the Belgian musket imported early in the war{almost as dangerous
to the person ¯ring it as to the one aimed at{and a few new and improved
arms. These were of many di®erent calibers, a fact that caused much trouble in
distributing ammunition during an engagement. The enemy had generally new
arms which had run the blockade and were of uniform caliber. After the surrender
I authorized all colonels whose regiments were armed with inferior muskets, to
place them in the stack of captured arms and replace them with the latter. A large
number of arms turned in to the Ordnance Department as captured, were thus
arms that had really been used by the Union army in the capture of Vicksburg.

wsatterwhite
Lieutenant

Mon Jun 24, 2013 6:43 am

Regarding Union garrisons, having played mostly as the Union against a Confederate player who makes excellent use of raiders and partisans, it strikes me that the manpower/draft levels really need to be tweaked in order to allow the Union to maintain anything resembling historical field armies and rear area garrisons- there simply aren't enough troops to go around compared to the numbers the CSA can raise (and equip and supply). This is especially troubling when you consider that Union field armies need to maintain an even greater level of numerical superiority compared to history due to the advantages given to battlefield defenders. The Union either needs to be able to raise a lot more troops or (more historically valid I think) the CSA's capacity to build and maintain troops needs to be significantly decreased along with tweaks to the combat system that equalize losses a bit more (with the exception of Fredericksburg casualties in major battles were typically always about even).

DrPostman

Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:18 pm

wsatterwhite wrote:Regarding Union garrisons, having played mostly as the Union against a Confederate player who makes excellent use of raiders and partisans, it strikes me that the manpower/draft levels really need to be tweaked in order to allow the Union to maintain anything resembling historical field armies and rear area garrisons- there simply aren't enough troops to go around compared to the numbers the CSA can raise (and equip and supply). This is especially troubling when you consider that Union field armies need to maintain an even greater level of numerical superiority compared to history due to the advantages given to battlefield defenders. The Union either needs to be able to raise a lot more troops or (more historically valid I think) the CSA's capacity to build and maintain troops needs to be significantly decreased along with tweaks to the combat system that equalize losses a bit more (with the exception of Fredericksburg casualties in major battles were typically always about even).

Some of that might be for game balance though. But I hear ya. It baffles me how the Union can run totally out of
cavalry for the rest of the game by the middle of 1863, but on several occasions I have. Then I went into the code
and tweeked the numbers.

That's something else. I wonder if it will be easier to make changes like we can now (number and arrival date for
divisions, and even corps, numbers of various elements in the reenforcement pools, etc)?

planefinder
Lieutenant

Mon Jun 24, 2013 3:36 pm

Depending upon how the brigade-builder works (if that's still on the table), it should help alleviate some of the issues now where units are limited. IMO, limiting by unit type is needlessly arbitrary as opposed to the war supply, manpower and general supply limitations already in the game.

Hinkel
Lieutenant

Tue Jun 25, 2013 11:37 am

Those new unit Cards are awesome. YOu could actually cry for them :D :D

[CENTER]The Grand Campaign project[/CENTER]
[font="Georgia"][CENTER]Commander-in-chief of the Confederate forces in the east[/CENTER][/font]
[CENTER]Image[/CENTER]

DrPostman

Tue Jun 25, 2013 5:35 pm

Hinkel wrote:Those new unit Cards are awesome. YOu could actually cry for them :D :D

Anything out on the icons for the map yet?

Sir Garnet

Wed Jun 26, 2013 4:42 am

RebelYell wrote:I have been reading Grants memoirs, i recommend to everyone. :thumbsup:

http://www.gutenberg.org/files/4367/4367-pdf/4367-pdf.pdf

Observations from games standpoint.

The amount of general supply for the rich agricultural ares in the game is too low.

The movement rates of the supply trains is too fast in smaller roads and should be very slow out of roads completely.

The road network is too advanced in the game, more tracks than roads needed and they should become of no use when there is mud.

Ammo supply still needs trains, even when you live of the land you need ammo.

All the regions around rivers and ones that have rails should be garrisoned, loyalty should stop supply transport if not garrisoned.

Now i will continue reading.

Indeed.

Individual garrison units on the map can be confusing and distracting.

The minor detachments and larger units dispersed for security could be represented by a pool by state or department etc. that does not appear on the map but affects supply, movement, and combat based on local loyalties. Some minimum would be required to avoid yielding the countryside.

This role would be OK for providing field experience and basic skills for raw troops, but not for keeping up a high standard of unit training and cohesion, so the best units could lose their edge.

Many of these detachments were militarily unnecessary, in places considered utterly safe by the military - but driven by political considerations. Having even a few troops around or raiders in the general vicinity gives confidence to partisans and intimidates opposition.

elxaime
General

Wed Jun 26, 2013 5:25 am

Agree on the relative army size issue. In game after game as the Union I have found that when I advance, the CSA has at least as many divisions opposite. Added to the way defense is handled, the USA simply lacks the numbers to make successful attacks. Eventually they do, but meanwhile there is a lot of sitting around. All it takes is one big failed attack and you lose 20-30 morale points as you watch your army get "pinned" by the game mechanics into making more attacks even after it is clear they are defeated.

DrPostman

Wed Jun 26, 2013 5:48 am

elxaime wrote:Agree on the relative army size issue. In game after game as the Union I have found that when I advance, the CSA has at least as many divisions opposite. Added to the way defense is handled, the USA simply lacks the numbers to make successful attacks. Eventually they do, but meanwhile there is a lot of sitting around. All it takes is one big failed attack and you lose 20-30 morale points as you watch your army get "pinned" by the game mechanics into making more attacks even after it is clear they are defeated.

I wonder how difficult it would be to have an option during one of the combat rounds to
disengage, paying a penalty of course, but not half as bad as multiple rounds.

Return to “Civil War II”