MarkShot

Supply Lines?

Sun Dec 09, 2018 1:08 pm

I was reading some of the ACW1 documentation and much was made of supply lines.

However, there were quite a few cases where Grant, Sherman, and Sheridan left there supply lines behind and survived simply by foraging for a few months.

This was a very important aspect of the Union's victory as it allowed the Union greater flexibility to go where it wanted, and at the same time, it was part of the strategy of destroying the CSA's infrastructure to make war.

How is this simulated?

Thanks.

lightbrave
Captain

Re: Supply Lines?

Sun Dec 09, 2018 11:26 pm

I think the Scorched Earth card does just that.

Durk

Sun Dec 09, 2018 11:35 pm

Yes, scorched earth, but additionally units can gain subsistence from regions.
In games terms, Grant's move at Vicksburg and Sherman's are one turn and two turns respectively. As unit carry an intrinsic two turns of supply, they can make these historical moves just fine.

Gray Fox
AGEod Guard of Honor

Mon Dec 10, 2018 4:36 pm

A unit can forage for food, but not ammo. Without a Supply Unit, a stack can only fight two battles. They may still get some beans, but they'll be out of bullets and suffer in battle thereafter.
I'm the 51st shade of gray. Eat, pray, Charge!

Durk

Tue Dec 11, 2018 2:01 am

Well, true; but as the discussion was about recreating Sherman's march, for instance, bullets were not really needed for more than one battle.

RebelYell
General of the Army

Tue Dec 11, 2018 2:32 pm

MarkShot wrote:I was reading some of the ACW1 documentation and much was made of supply lines.

However, there were quite a few cases where Grant, Sherman, and Sheridan left there supply lines behind and survived simply by foraging for a few months.

This was a very important aspect of the Union's victory as it allowed the Union greater flexibility to go where it wanted, and at the same time, it was part of the strategy of destroying the CSA's infrastructure to make war.

How is this simulated?

Thanks.

Some regions are more rich in supply for foraging, some even have agricultural "structures" that generate 75 general supply points per turn.
I would like those structures added to more regions but drop their production numbers to keep it in balance.
Sherman did not leave his supply trains back, he separated from his supply chain in the form of depots behind and filled his supply trains from the countryside.

Return to “Civil War II”