W.Barksdale
AGEod Grognard

Brigs not recovering hits? CSA

Tue Feb 17, 2015 9:37 pm

In my current pbem I've had several damaged brigs in port, passive with a naval engineer, and turn after turn they never seem to recover any hits. Is this WAD? Anything special I should be doing so that they can fix up to be sent out again?
"Tell General Lee that if he wants a bridge of dead Yankees I can furnish him with one."
-General William Barksdale at Fredericksburg

Merlin
General

Tue Feb 17, 2015 11:43 pm

That only happens to me when I have no light warship replacements. Not sure what to tell you if you do have them.

W.Barksdale
AGEod Grognard

Tue Feb 17, 2015 11:49 pm

Well don't I feel stupid. I've been waiting for them to repair themselves 8 turns or so. Still playing AACW it seems. :bonk: Cheers!
"Tell General Lee that if he wants a bridge of dead Yankees I can furnish him with one."

-General William Barksdale at Fredericksburg

Captain_Orso

Wed Feb 18, 2015 9:59 am

Soooo ... do you have replacements for them?

The don't have to be in PP to take-on repairs, only if you want to have a missing ship replaced.

What size harbor are they in?

Rod Smart
Colonel

Wed Feb 18, 2015 3:22 pm

I've run into problems where the replacements for damaged ships have been going to ships that aren't damaged. They go to the "bonus free additional ship" or whatever you call the additions to Brigs and Blockaders, and also to complete captured enemy ships. Which has lead to damaged ships sitting damaged in port despite pumping resources into replacements.

My 'problem' does seem to be working as designed.

--------------------------

Is there a problem with your port? Are they missing hits because they are out of supply, and you have them in Tampa?

Merlin
General

Thu Feb 19, 2015 12:25 am

W.Barksdale wrote:Well don't I feel stupid. I've been waiting for them to repair themselves 8 turns or so. Still playing AACW it seems. :bonk: Cheers!

We all get a case of the stupid every now and then. I once had a runner sitting G/G in Charleston for eight turns before I realized I had an empty light warship pool. :tournepas

Captain_Orso

Thu Feb 19, 2015 9:24 am

Okay noch einmal zum Mitschreiben (one more time so you can write it down), a naval unit in PP will not recover hits nor cohesion quicker than a unit in DP in harbor. This is different from how land units recover.

What setting a unit to PP in a harbor does affect is that unit receiving a missing element. Those Blockade Flotillas, with fewer blockade ships than the rest of the blockade flotillas you receive, are missing blockade ship elements. If you have one of them in harbor--New York or Boston for example (large!)--in PP and you have at least 1 replacement chit for light-warships in your replacement pools, and execute the turn there is a good chance that unit will receive a replacement blockade ship and be locked in harbor until that ship has completed being built.

Ergo, if you don't want to have you blockade flotilla locked in port while a ship is being built, don't put it into PP in harbor.

MarkCSA
Location: In a safe place, they couldn't hit an elephant at this distance

Thu Feb 19, 2015 4:14 pm

Does this also work for CSA runners that are missing an element?
Murphy's Law of Combat: 'The most dangerous thing on a battlefield? An officer with a map'

Captain_Orso

Thu Feb 19, 2015 7:25 pm

I believe it should.

MarkCSA

Thu Feb 19, 2015 10:51 pm

Bingo, that's the key!
Murphy's Law of Combat: 'The most dangerous thing on a battlefield? An officer with a map'

Merlin
General

Thu Feb 19, 2015 11:56 pm

Captain_Orso wrote:Okay noch einmal zum Mitschreiben (one more time so you can write it down), a naval unit in PP will not recover hits nor cohesion quicker than a unit in DP in harbor. This is different from how land units recover.

I know. It was a brand new runner, and as I'm certain you're aware, they come missing an element unless you built the unit yourself. ;)

Captain_Orso

Fri Feb 20, 2015 10:01 am

Missing-schmissing, it's the age-old adage, is the cup half full or half empty--Image *full*empty*full*empty*full*empty* ;) .

I like to think of the "cup" as being completely full... of silk from Paris for dresses, bonnets from London for the Spring Cotillion™, caviar from Russia, rum from Haiti, oh and a couple crates of rifles and medicine. Salutll! Image

MarkCSA

Fri Feb 20, 2015 4:46 pm

Ok, runners now correctly replacing elements. This is good.

What replacement type are my River Transports supposed to draw replacements from and do they need to be in a city with Depot / Harbor type XYZ?

I've managed to replace one River Transport element, but do not seem to be able to reproduce.

Captain_Orso

Fri Feb 20, 2015 7:58 pm

Off the top of my head I don't think I could say exactly what the restrictions are. But I would imagine, if you can build a transport there, you can get a replacement there too. There's basically no difference. Getting a replacement means that the transport must still be built, which takes the exact same amount of time as building one outright.

pb783
Lieutenant
Location: Coming out of the attic-- I've finally beaten Athena

Tue Mar 17, 2015 4:39 am

Captain_Orso wrote:Okay noch einmal zum Mitschreiben (one more time so you can write it down), a naval unit in PP will not recover hits nor cohesion quicker than a unit in DP in harbor. This is different from how land units recover.

What setting a unit to PP in a harbor does affect is that unit receiving a missing element. Those Blockade Flotillas, with fewer blockade ships than the rest of the blockade flotillas you receive, are missing blockade ship elements. If you have one of them in harbor--New York or Boston for example (large!)--in PP and you have at least 1 replacement chit for light-warships in your replacement pools, and execute the turn there is a good chance that unit will receive a replacement blockade ship and be locked in harbor until that ship has completed being built.

Ergo, if you don't want to have you blockade flotilla locked in port while a ship is being built, don't put it into PP in harbor.

PP?

DP?

And for that matter G/G? Define these terms please.

Gray Fox
AGEod Guard of Honor

Tue Mar 17, 2015 12:19 pm

This is a shorthand for the Posture/Rules of Engagement setting from page 53 in the manual.

PP-Passive Posture/Probe attack or Retreat if Engaged

DP-Defensive Posture/as above

G/G-Green/Green, referring to the color of the icons for this setting.
I'm the 51st shade of gray. Eat, pray, Charge!

pb783
Lieutenant
Location: Coming out of the attic-- I've finally beaten Athena

Tue Mar 17, 2015 8:33 pm

Gray Fox wrote:This is a shorthand for the Posture/Rules of Engagement setting from page 53 in the manual.

PP-Passive Posture/Probe attack or Retreat if Engaged

DP-Defensive Posture/as above

G/G-Green/Green, referring to the color of the icons for this setting.

Got it! :)

Return to “Civil War II”