klwhitehead
Conscript

Development Points

Sat Dec 21, 2013 12:45 am

There are a number of Regional Decisions that increase something called Development Points. Any one know what they are and why they are useful?

richfed

Sat Dec 21, 2013 3:24 am

I believe that more of those points that you accumulate in any particular region, the easier it is for your troops to forage in that region and the quicker they can pass through it if moving.

klwhitehead
Conscript

Sat Dec 21, 2013 2:55 pm

Has anyone done a cost analysis of these Regional Decisions? Just based on the rather vague gain of development points they are a waste of game money. For example building roads does give you a 10% loyalty boost and 3 VP but at the cost of $75,000. Is that really a reasonable choice compared to all the other things $75,000 will buy you in the game? Improving a single region in a game so fluid as to what regions are important seems pointless for so little gain.

vonRocko
Colonel

Sat Dec 21, 2013 3:07 pm

You can play the whole game without using any Regional decisions. In my opinion, they are for "flavor" mostly. Very few seem worth it.

klwhitehead
Conscript

Sat Dec 21, 2013 3:14 pm

That was kind of my view except for the ones that are really non-regional like Copperheads, fortifications, and such. Just wanted to be sure I wasn't missing something in my interpretation.

Ace

Sat Dec 21, 2013 3:37 pm

Some regional decisions are quite usefull, especially those you get from 62 onwards.
I rarely build roads. They can be useful if you try to flank rebel positions in Virginia. Building road south of Morgantown would open a new venue of attack. I belive little Mac proposed such a feature early on, but was vetoed by Lincoln.

moni kerr
Lieutenant

Sat Dec 21, 2013 7:58 pm

klwhitehead wrote:That was kind of my view except for the ones that are really non-regional like Copperheads, fortifications, and such. Just wanted to be sure I wasn't missing something in my interpretation.

In the Far West the Union has a difficult time keeping units supplied. If you want to conduct a campaign there then developing regions above level 10 is necessary.

richfed

Sun Dec 22, 2013 12:29 am

I haven't figured out how to utilize all of them properly, but many are very useful for raising some cash, etc.

pablius
Sergeant

Sun Dec 22, 2013 7:52 am

I´ve found that some are usefull early for cash and conscripts, and some are usefull for regaining lost loyalty after, but as the war goes on I tend to use them less and less

The military ones are fun to simulate a kind of massive uprising, as the Union you can mount quite a riot in eastern Tennesse if you go all in with unionist and partisans, the same for the Confederacy in Kentucky, I´m not sure it is actually worth it, but you can have a little guerilla war and hold a few cities, the AI should put more of an effort retaking regions in the rear front from small irregular forces, it looks as it doesn´t know what to do about it and it doesn´t feel real to be able to hold half a state with a few irregulars for two years :D

grimjaw
General

Mon Dec 23, 2013 1:05 am

It depends which side I'm playing. As the Union I rarely use the plunder option, but I can make Florida a Confederate headache by landing sailors in several cities. The Confederacy never has enough money for roads or trails, but a partisan ambush/raid, sea mine or submarine can make a big difference and they cost little to nothing.

Outposts can be a useful option for either side. Plant an outpost in a region bordering a river, place some artillery inside and it will bombard automatically via inside-fort rule. Much less expensive in time/money than a redoubt; they're only a few VP and one turn with a combat unit in the region. They can be put in relatively inaccessible areas but still be supplied. As the Confederacy, I usually plant them on the south bank of the Arkansas River, in every region bordering Fort Smith and Little Rock, put some militia and artillery in each. Athena has managed river travel along that river by bypassing the Mississippi river forts and using the option at Jacksonport, AR. Doesn't work for her now, and didn't cost me much.

Building up loyalty with the regional decisions, in border states and as you advance, can keep lower the probability the enemy will be able to raise partisans and Unionists/Copperheads to threaten your supply lines. For the Confederacy, demonstrations tend to be expensive but might tip the scales in a region that only needs a few points to create partisans or Copperheads.

Return to “Civil War II”