RabidToucan
Conscript

Newbie Corner

Mon Oct 31, 2016 7:50 am

Hi everyone,
I was hoping, given that I and a few others (I believe) are fairly new to the complexity of this amazing game, that we might have a dedicated topic for the asking of mechanical questions? I have already come across a few things that I honestly don't understand, and though I bet a good deal of them are a result of some strange AI decisions, I'd still like some of the mechanics cleared up. If this isn't the best way to do this I understand and we can close the topic, but until then...

First, why would I need half a dozen exploration parties and excavation units in my home territories? There is no trait or description for the excavators to clue me in to their purpose, and while I understand the bonus the exploration parties give to a stack traversing hills, do I need so many? are they meant for fighting stacks at all? I would feel the moment their elements have to roll against anything else things would go quite poorly.

Second, Why do the reserve units, who are classed '70-'90, outdo my regular army troops who are classed as '50-'70 in terms of stats? Will these regular units upgrade to be in line with the reserves automatically? Or will I have to disband them and re-raise new units, if they are even available? Also about units, do they consume anything other than supply in a turn, do I have to manage anything other than the food and ammunition stock that is visible in the unit panel? I don't want to tank my economy trying to feed far too many soldiers.

Third, Is there anything I can do to encourage the unwanted 5,000 power stack of Italians to quit Belgium? Any diplomatic recourse?

I've tried searching for all of this in the manual but couldn't seem to figure any of it out.

I understand I may be giving away state secrets and all that, but in the end it's just a (quite engaging) game and in that spirit I'd rather learn to be better for the next run rather than bumble about. Thank you to any of the more experienced members for any help.

lukasberger
AGEod Veteran

Re: Newbie Corner

Tue Nov 01, 2016 12:53 am

I'll try to reply to this within the next day or two unless someone else beats me to it.

Lynxyonok
AGEod Veteran

Wed Nov 02, 2016 2:09 am

> First, why would I need half a dozen exploration parties and excavation units in my home territories? There is no trait or description for the excavators to clue me in to their purpose, and while I understand the bonus the exploration parties give to a stack traversing hills, do I need so many? are they meant for fighting stacks at all? I would feel the moment their elements have to roll against anything else things would go quite poorly.

They were probably meant as African exploration parties. I'd send all you have to your colonies to look for resources.

> Second, Why do the reserve units, who are classed '70-'90, outdo my regular army troops who are classed as '50-'70 in terms of stats? Will these regular units upgrade to be in line with the reserves automatically? Or will I have to disband them and re-raise new units, if they are even available? Also about units, do they consume anything other than supply in a turn, do I have to manage anything other than the food and ammunition stock that is visible in the unit panel? I don't want to tank my economy trying to feed far too many soldiers.

Just keep them fed and they will upgrade in time. Even if they don't, their experience will prove valuable. Always have a surplus of money, supply, ammo, manufacturing goods, steel.

> Third, Is there anything I can do to encourage the unwanted 5,000 power stack of Italians to quit Belgium? Any diplomatic recourse?

Not really. I'd revoke supply right and just watch them wither.

Anything else, just ask.

RabidToucan
Conscript

Fri Nov 04, 2016 1:28 am

Thank you! I don't believe I have any actual colonies yet so they can languish in port for a while longer. There is a lot to learn in this game, I only just figured out how to manually set how much I sell to the domestic market. I was searching everywhere for a slider!

bjfagan
General of the Army

Fri Nov 04, 2016 1:51 am

Belgium does have some colonies and places to explore. If you don't mind, could choose the Belgian flag as your avatar it would help to identify your country on the forum. Much appreciated. :)

RabidToucan
Conscript

Sun Nov 06, 2016 12:52 am

Does a unit's police stat affect contentment in a region? I've finally made the Wallonians stop destroying stuff but they're still on strike. Do I need to just keep throwing referendums and such at them until they quiet down?

Also, I have some influenced territory in Africa, but I can't seem to get people to actually land there. I assume I need to wait until I get a building in place like the merchant post before I send some colonial garrisons and all those eager exploration parties?

Thanks, as always, for the patient help.

lukasberger
AGEod Veteran

Mon Nov 07, 2016 7:45 am

RabidToucan wrote:Does a unit's police stat affect contentment in a region? I've finally made the Wallonians stop destroying stuff but they're still on strike. Do I need to just keep throwing referendums and such at them until they quiet down?

Also, I have some influenced territory in Africa, but I can't seem to get people to actually land there. I assume I need to wait until I get a building in place like the merchant post before I send some colonial garrisons and all those eager exploration parties?

Thanks, as always, for the patient help.

On point 1, indeed it does. Referendums etc help, but police and light cavalry also help and give a bonus to contentment every turn they're in a region.

As to 2, yes, basically.

Just try mousing over each region with a given option selected (or just look at a zoomed out view of the whole continent, which shows what cards are valid) to see what's valid in a given region where you have x amount of support and what needs y amount of support.

Return to “PON Conflict in Europe - Redux”