lukasberger
AGEod Veteran

Thu Mar 03, 2016 11:57 pm

bjfagan wrote:The British Government views this claim of a protectorate as nothing more than a land grab. It is obvious based on relations that the government and people of Wallachia do not support close ties with Austria. It is the people of Wallachia who should determine their fate... not the Austrian government.

This is a noble sentiment.

Are we to understand this as a statement of British policy? That the British Empire is forgoing all efforts and claims to add any more land to its current holdings along with encouraging other nations to do the same?

At any rate the Prussian government is satisfied that this is a matter that affects only the governments of Austria and Russia along with Wallachia.

We concur with the Russia statement made previously
nemethand wrote:At the same time, the Ministry also issued a public statement supporting protection over the Danuvian Principalities. "Fully concurring with the Austrian statement, we strongly believe that protection by Austria should bring peace and prosperity to Wallachia and security to the Balkan, just as a similar status over Moldavia by Russia."

Since Austria and Russia are in agreement on this issue, we have no objections to whatever course is decided by the Austrian government in regard to Wallachia or to the Russian government in Moldova.

De_Spinoza
Lieutenant

Fri Mar 04, 2016 12:51 am

The Austrian government is surprised by the British reaction to the Wallachian issue - what are their interests in this part of Eastern Europe? And would they respect similar protests in reaction to British expansion in India, the Far East, and Africa? Would the highly cultured, stable, and still independent indigenous states on the Indian subcontinent also be allowed elections, instead of being absorbed by the British Empire through other means?

We fully support Russian rule over Moldavia; both Wallachia and Moldavia are states that were born out of anarchy, remain in anarchy, and will remain in anarchy for a long time to come without the intervention of Great Powers. Great Britain should be content with the fact that these two virulently nationalist states, threatening the order established after the Napoleonic debacle, will soon be absorbed into stable Empires. Their peoples deserve more than destitution, robbery, and an obsolete, cruel, Ottoman yoke.
Fiat iustitia Image Pereat mundus

Vezina
Lieutenant

Fri Mar 04, 2016 12:56 am

lukasberger wrote:At any rate the Prussian government is satisfied that this is a matter that affects only the governments of Austria and Russia along with Wallachia.

We concur with the Russia statement made previously

Since Austria and Russia are in agreement on this issue, we have no objections to whatever course is decided by the Austrian government in regard to Wallachia or to the Russian government in Moldova.

This is a terrible declaration both in its short-sightedness and its apathy towards blatant imperialism within the European continent. The Austrian declaration was not just that Wallachia was to be a protectorate of Austria-Hungary, but that they would not accept Ottoman rule in Christian areas. Even if we agreed with their declaration regarding Wallachia - which we do not - it amounts to a fundamental dismantling of a large part of the Ottoman Empire. What's next: Serbia? Bulgaria? Which European people would Austria-Hungary like to add to their empire next?

If the Austrians feel that the Rumanians are too much of a bother, then perhaps they should dismiss them to join with their brethren in Wallachia instead of claiming more territory. Surely more Rumanians within Austrian borders would not make the situation more peaceful, after all.

This can not be dismissed as an internal matter, either. Wallachia does not fly a black and gold flag over its administrative buildings yet, which makes this a concern of all of Europe.

Vezina
Lieutenant

Fri Mar 04, 2016 1:52 am

[ATTACH]37843[/ATTACH]

Le Temps

Saigon - Due to growing reports of piracy and barbarism in the southwest Pacific, the Asia Squadron was dispatched under the command of Rear Admiral Léonard Victor Joseph Charner to deal with these lawless types. A rather one-sided victory was reported less than a fortnight later with the destruction of three Junks belonging to the pirates. It is said that the only casualty and consolation to the pirates' pride is the fact that a French sailor aboard the paddle corvette Cassini became suddenly and deeply homesick after the battle.
Attachments
Sulu1852.jpg

lukasberger
AGEod Veteran

Fri Mar 04, 2016 2:23 am

Vezina wrote:This is a terrible declaration both in its short-sightedness and its apathy towards blatant imperialism within the European continent. The Austrian declaration was not just that Wallachia was to be a protectorate of Austria-Hungary, but that they would not accept Ottoman rule in Christian areas. Even if we agreed with their declaration regarding Wallachia - which we do not - it amounts to a fundamental dismantling of a large part of the Ottoman Empire. What's next: Serbia? Bulgaria? Which European people would Austria-Hungary like to add to their empire next?

If the Austrians feel that the Rumanians are too much of a bother, then perhaps they should dismiss them to join with their brethren in Wallachia instead of claiming more territory. Surely more Rumanians within Austrian borders would not make the situation more peaceful, after all.

This can not be dismissed as an internal matter, either. Wallachia does not fly a black and gold flag over its administrative buildings yet, which makes this a concern of all of Europe.

We certainly have no desire to quarrel with France over this matter, but as with the British, we ask the question: if you denounce what may be Austrian or Russian imperialism in this case, are you denouncing it for your own government as well?

Are you declaring a fundamental French opposition to any imperialism including your own? Or at least to European expansion by France, thus are you now denouncing any potential French claims to provinces such as Nice and Savoy?

If not, then where is your interest in this case?

Twice you've mentioned opposition to expansion within Europe. Yet, there are no treaties binding in this matter. Why should Russia or Austria not have as much right to expand within Europe as France, Germany and Great Britain do within Africa and Asia? Are you also opposing the Prussian governments current efforts to form the North German Confederation?

You make the claim that Austria will go further, but as of now that's only conjecture. Beyond that, even if they do go further, isn't that a matter to be dealt with at the time it occurs, rather than anticipating events?

Yet again, if they do go further, this is an area of the world where France, Britain and Prussia have little to no interest. Why should we take it upon ourselves to interfere in matters that are none of our concern?

If the aim is to defend the Ottoman Empire and you have ties to them, well and good. You have every right to defend them when they're actually threatened.

Ultimately we once again express our support for Austria and Russia in their declarations regarding Moldova and Wallachia. We hope that any concerns your nation and Britain have can be addressed privately between your nations and the nations of Russia and Austria.

Field Marshal Hotzendorf
Captain

Fri Mar 04, 2016 3:00 am

Where are the Ottomans on this? This is a matter that needs the voice of all major powers involved and the Ottoman Empire should for sure be involved in this.

lukasberger
AGEod Veteran

Fri Mar 04, 2016 3:03 am

Field Marshal Hotzendorf wrote:Where are the Ottomans on this? This is a matter that needs the voice of all major powers involved and the Ottoman Empire should for sure be involved in this.

There's no Ottoman player at this point.

Vezina
Lieutenant

Fri Mar 04, 2016 3:52 am

lukasberger wrote:We certainly have no desire to quarrel with France over this matter, but as with the British, we ask the question: if you denounce what may be Austrian or Russian imperialism in this case, are you denouncing it for your own government as well?

Are you declaring a fundamental French opposition to any imperialism including your own? Or at least to European expansion by France, thus are you now denouncing any potential French claims to provinces such as Nice and Savoy?

If not, then where is your interest in this case?

Twice you've mentioned opposition to expansion within Europe. Yet, there are no treaties binding in this matter. Why should Russia or Austria not have as much right to expand within Europe as France, Germany and Great Britain do within Africa and Asia? Are you also opposing the Prussian governments current efforts to form the North German Confederation?

The Prussian emissary shows a fundamental lack of understanding of the issue at hand. Our argument is not that borders cannot change, but that the grounds for this declaration are not built upon anything solid. Austria has no more claim to Wallachia than France does to Saarbruecken or Catalunya. There are no ethnic ties, unlike France to Nice and Savoy and Prussia to the German Confederation, and the best arguments are claims that are of a vintage too old to drink. Why Prussia feels the need to include continents without proper government and civilization as comparisons to Europe is beyond us. The fates of Asia and Africa are irrelevant to this discussion.

You make the claim that Austria will go further, but as of now that's only conjecture. Beyond that, even if they do go further, isn't that a matter to be dealt with at the time it occurs, rather than anticipating events?

Yet again, if they do go further, this is an area of the world where France, Britain and Prussia have little to no interest. Why should we take it upon ourselves to interfere in matters that are none of our concern?

First they came for the Wallachians, and I did not speak out—
Because I was not a Wallachian.

Then they came for the Serbs, and I did not speak out—
Because I was not a Serb.

Then they came for the Bulgarians, and I did not speak out—
Because I was not a Bulgarian.

Then they came for me—and there was no one left to speak for me.

You represent a global power, Prussian emissary. Being a global power means that the goings-on of the entire globe are your concern, and Prussia needs to be able to see past its own nose. Call it conjecture if you wish - France calls it foresight.

lukasberger
AGEod Veteran

Fri Mar 04, 2016 4:20 am

Well Prussia would like to be a global power, it's hard for us to argue we're anything more than a regional power as of now. As a result, perhaps we simply aren't as evolved as you are yet.

However, as previously mentioned though quite admirable in a way, this attitude is really only sustainable in a nation that has little to no ambitions of its own. That's certainly not the case for Great Britain, France or Prussia.

We've already mentioned Africa and Asia, yet they are hardly irrelevant as those areas provide plenty of room for growth and expressions of imperialism on the part of GB, France and Prussia as well as nations such as Spain, Belgium and others.

However Austria and Russia are to an extent cut off from colonial actions that are available to nations with greater infrastructure and more global power projection. Thus since they can't be players in more distant regions, they focus their attention on the more disorganized and backwards peoples near to them. This seems only natural. We're unusure why you would lump Africa and Asia into a different category altogether. That seems inconsistent at best. We could re-write your poem as follows and it would make as much sense:

First they came for the Africans, and I did not speak out—
Because I was not a African.

Then they came for the Asians, and I did not speak out—
Because I was not a Asian.

Then they came for the Americans, and I did not speak out—
Because I was not a Americans.

Yet instead of holding a consistent view of imperialism, you simply dismiss Africa and Asia and only show concern for Europe. That's your prerogative of course, but it feels to us more than a bit selfish, for lack of a better term.

As to claims, we think Austria has as much claim to Wallachia as the OE had when it took provinces in the Balkans. Or Russia into Lithuania and Poland. The borders of Eastern Europe have constantly been shifting over the last 500 years and Russia, Austria and the OE have essentially continually claimed most of this area. This is not a new claim on the part of Austria or of Russia, or the OE.

Vezina
Lieutenant

Fri Mar 04, 2016 4:34 am

France feels that the Prussian sentiment towards the wilds of Africa and Asia would be better suited for about a century and a score of years beyond the current time. It has no place in the 19th century, for sure.

De_Spinoza
Lieutenant

Fri Mar 04, 2016 4:38 am

Vezina wrote:The Prussian emissary shows a fundamental lack of understanding of the issue at hand. Our argument is not that borders cannot change, but that the grounds for this declaration are not built upon anything solid. Austria has no more claim to Wallachia than France does to Saarbruecken or Catalunya. There are no ethnic ties, unlike France to Nice and Savoy and Prussia to the German Confederation, and the best arguments are claims that are of a vintage too old to drink. Why Prussia feels the need to include continents without proper government and civilization as comparisons to Europe is beyond us. The fates of Asia and Africa are irrelevant to this discussion.

First they came for the Wallachians, and I did not speak out—
Because I was not a Wallachian.

Then they came for the Serbs, and I did not speak out—
Because I was not a Serb.

Then they came for the Bulgarians, and I did not speak out—
Because I was not a Bulgarian.

You represent a global power, Prussian emissary. Being a global power means that the goings-on of the entire globe are your concern, and Prussia needs to be able to see past its own nose. Call it conjecture if you wish - France calls it foresight.

"continents without proper government and organisation?" the Ottoman yoke imposed on the Wallachians is much less civilized than many of France's and Britain's colonial targets: ever since the first Anglo-Ashanti war, the Ashanti Kingdom has captured the imagination of Europeans through its organised government and resolve. Indeed many Europeans have travelled there to work as advisors in both military and economic roles. And what about the once great Indian kingdoms, that are still being bullied and destabilised into submission by the British East India company? French pleas in defence of the ailing Ottoman Empire are particularly jarring, since they only recently conquered Algiers from the Ottomans with a single diplomatic insult against their governor cited as the casus belli!

As for ethnic ties: as France knows Austria is an ethnically diverse empire, united not by such a primitive matter as the people's blood, but by a shared allegiance to the Habsburg Emperors. We do, however, still have south - Germans under Ottoman rule in Serbia, and hope that these might one day be reunited work their fellow German speaking Christians. Conversely, our claim on Wallachia is based on historical rule over the area and the fight against liberal nationalism, a force all great powers condemned and pledged to fight against after the Napoleonic wars. These are, we think, much stronger grounds for freeing a people from the infidels' yoke than the way France legitimised the conquest of an entirely Muslim region, a process that involved and still involves much cruelty and pain to the indigenous people's of Algeria. Austria is, however, willing to respect Algeria as within the sphere of France, and the Ashanti Kingdom within that of Britain, if they likewise respect Austrian influence on our border regions, as well as our duty to show our concern for the nearby Christian peoples that remain under an, all Europeans will agree, cruel Ottoman yoke.

Finally, we have no plans to go to war with the Ottoman Empire, neither to annex Serbia or any other region in the future. The ailing Ottoman Empire is a problem, but the fate of their directly ruled territories will have to be discussed by all great powers at length before any solution can be presented.

lukasberger
AGEod Veteran

Fri Mar 04, 2016 4:41 am

Vezina wrote:France feels that the Prussian sentiment towards the wilds of Africa and Asia would be better suited for about a century and a score of years beyond the current time. It has no place in the 19th century, for sure.

This may be true. However we certainly stand behind the majority of our previous messages and particularly want to emphasize the idea that while we have an outlet for our imperialism there, Austria and Russia do not have that.

OOC: I'd agree I used a very historically inaccurate argument, but I'd also just mention that arguing against imperialism is not exactly era appropriate, especially from two nations that are literally expansionist Empires at this point in time :)

EDIT: OOC again: And it's no big deal but really the British statement was the most era inappropriate one of all. The governments of Europe at this point in time were terrified of letting the people decide anything whatsoever!

I'm pretty sure most any European government minister in 1852 would rather be shot than suggest the people should decide anything, much less the people of a "backward" nation like Wallachia. If he did make a statement like that he would probably be arrested and maybe shot!

De_Spinoza
Lieutenant

Fri Mar 04, 2016 4:44 am

Vezina wrote:France feels that the Prussian sentiment towards the wilds of Africa and Asia would be better suited for about a century and a score of years beyond the current time. It has no place in the 19th century, for sure.

OOC: both several African kingdoms (Ashanti and Ethiopia, later Morocco) acquired significant support and respect from some European actors during the nineteenth century; Indian kingdoms had employed European advisors already from the seventeenth century onwards, and the richness of their culture and architect fascinated Europeans... Seen as inferior, but certainly not as 'wilds'!

coolbean
Major

Fri Mar 04, 2016 2:06 pm

Vezina wrote:Le Temps

Saigon - Due to growing reports of piracy and barbarism in the southwest Pacific, the Asia Squadron was dispatched under the command of Rear Admiral Léonard Victor Joseph Charner to deal with these lawless types. A rather one-sided victory was reported less than a fortnight later with the destruction of three Junks belonging to the pirates. It is said that the only casualty and consolation to the pirates' pride is the fact that a French sailor aboard the paddle corvette Cassini became suddenly and deeply homesick after the battle.

Department of State
United States of America

The Government of the United States of America would like to thank the French Asia Squadron and the Citizens of France for keeping the merchant shipping lanes free of piracy. All Americans are taught in grade school about the first international drama of our then newborn nation - the Wars with the Barbary States. Removing pirates from the world's oceans can have the effect of lowering the risks and costs associated with international trade - having the potential to promote commerce between all nations.

OOC: https://history.state.gov/milestones/1801-1829/barbary-wars

De_Spinoza
Lieutenant

Fri Mar 04, 2016 2:42 pm

Wiener Zeitung, Early March

AUSTRIAN MINISTRY OF COLONIAL AFFAIRS FOUNDED
The government has announced that this week, by orders of the Emperor himself, an Austrian ministry of colonial affairs has been founded. The president of the Imperial Austrian Academy of Sciences, the noted orientalist Joseph Freiherr von Hammer-Purgstall, has been appointed as its top bureaucrat. In an interview given to this paper he shed some light on the reasons for the establishment of this new ministry. "His majesty the Emperor has personally confided to me that the unreasonably harsh attacks on the Austrian plan for the establishment of a protectorate over Wallachia by certain colonial powers spurred his decree on the establishment of a colonial ministry. This harsh reaction forced him to seek alternative ways of expanding Austria's sphere of influence. To that end, he has ordered me to create this colonial ministry and send our best orientalists and ethnologists to Africa, Arabia, and Asia to map out the most viable areas for the establishment of Austrian trading posts and scientific expeditions. Although our government promised that we would not seek colonies in Africa, these recent attacks on our policy in regards to the Ottoman Empire suddenly weakened the anti-colonial faction in the Emperor's government. Should certain colonial powers continue questioning the legitimacy of Austria's sphere of influence in the Balkans, our Emperor might well rescind his promise of colonial-non intervention in Africa, and order us to establish colonies in certain African regions. For now, however, our efforts will be focused on Arabia and Asia".

Our correspondent also briefly spoke with a top-level diplomat in the foreign ministry, asking for comment on Austria's colonial policy. He stressed that "all roads still remain open. We are hopeful at coming to an understanding with our international partners over both the Wallachian-Moldavian issue as well as Austria's colonial ambitions. The Austrian protectorate over Wallachia, however, is not negotionable: we are supported by Russia, which set itself the admirable task of establishing a similar protectorate over Moldavia. In the face of Ottoman decline, we need to take action to prevent further anarchy. We accept British and French influence over the Ottoman Empire proper and Greece, but strongly contest their claim of interest in the fate of Wallachia and Moldavia".

ACTIVITY AT THE WHARVES OF TRIESTE: WILL WE FINALLY ACQUIRE A NAVY?
Our correspondent in Trieste has noted a sudden increase in shipbuilding over the past weeks: the roads and canals leading to the Empire's prime port city are packed with carts and barges loaded with lumber, and large shipments of shipbuilding material arrive by sea from abroad. When asked for comment, the naval ministry replied that "it is well known that our navy remains the weakest of all great powers. After we were informed of the emperor's wish to seek colonies overseas, we immediately started contracting new vessels" He added, rather regretfully, that the ministry is "not trying to challenge any of Europe's major naval powers: the Emperor has ordered us to only build light, fast steam frigates, that will help in projecting power against certain uncivilized nations overseas, as well as transporting and protecting our scientific and colonial expeditions, but will not be a serious challenge to any naval power".

Vezina
Lieutenant

Fri Mar 04, 2016 3:11 pm

De_Spinoza wrote:OOC: both several African kingdoms (Ashanti and Ethiopia, later Morocco) acquired significant support and respect from some European actors during the nineteenth century; Indian kingdoms had employed European advisors already from the seventeenth century onwards, and the richness of their culture and architect fascinated Europeans... Seen as inferior, but certainly not as 'wilds'!

OOC: I think that it is disingenuous to point at the exceptions and pretend like they are the norm. I am well aware that not every Asian and African nation was conquered or colonized; but for every example that you named, I can name three where Europeans walked in, took what they wanted, and shot anyone that looked at them twice for doing so. This is the era of the "White Man's Burden" and the Berlin Conference's principle of "If you can govern it and occupy it (in Africa at least,) then you can claim it. Anyway, back to the game.

Vezina
Lieutenant

Fri Mar 04, 2016 6:53 pm

lukasberger wrote:OOC: I'd agree I used a very historically inaccurate argument, but I'd also just mention that arguing against imperialism is not exactly era appropriate, especially from two nations that are literally expansionist Empires at this point in time :)

OOC: Imperialism within and without Europe were on two different levels. Napoleon III himself promised not to expand France in Europe at the expense of a neighbor and vowed to help any nation in Europe so threatened but had no qualms about European colonialism. I doubt that his viewpoint was that uncommon among policymakers.

He was also a solid supporter of Romanian nationalism. :) Anyway, I don't want to derail all of this with my arguments. However, in the interest of the game, I don't believe that it is completely fair to start stripping the Ottomans without having an Ottoman player to respond. It takes away one of the more volatile dynamics in Europe.

De_Spinoza
Lieutenant

Fri Mar 04, 2016 7:44 pm

Vezina wrote:Anyway, I don't want to derail all of this with my arguments. However, in the interest of the game, I don't believe that it is completely fair to start stripping the Ottomans without having an Ottoman player to respond. It takes away one of the more volatile dynamics in Europe.

OOC: Agreed on both - we shouldn't get stuck on discussions over something being anachronistic or not. After all, players should have the freedom to shape their own nation's policy and paths, even if the policies and paths differ substantially from those followed historically. When a player really goes too far in (ingame) anachronisms a vote can be cast and VP penalties/scripted casus bellis can be applied.

As for the OE lacking a player: I agree direct conflict with the OE is unfair now that a player lacks, but don't think we should be forced to wait with Wallachia and Moldavia. The OE would possibly gain a cb on Russia and Austria but a human player wouldn't have any realistic possibility of using it. A DoW on the OE itself is a different matter, for that a player is needed - although should this happen, we can also agree to have a Great Power allied to the OE momentarily take over the OE to fight the war, or even take over just to intervene in Wallachia and Moldavia if said player thinks it would be needed for the balance of the game. I personally have no problem with that, but it would require a vote.

bjfagan
General of the Army

The Times Of London - Early May 1852

Wed Mar 09, 2016 4:58 am

ANTI-PIRACY VICTORY

Singapore - The Royal Navy successfully cleared the seas for the open commerce of all nations. A squadron sailing under the command of Admiral Napier engaged and destroyed several pirate ships in the Strait of Malacca.

[ATTACH]37894[/ATTACH]
Attachments
Battle Strait of Malacca - Early May 1852.jpg

coolbean
Major

Wed Mar 09, 2016 10:07 pm

bjfagan wrote:ANTI-PIRACY VICTORY

Singapore - The Royal Navy successfully cleared the seas for the open commerce of all nations. A squadron sailing under the command of Admiral Napier engaged and destroyed several pirate ships in the Strait of Malacca.

The U.S. Colonial Administration in Aden suspects that these pirates were in league with the criminals who are interrupting supply lines to the country! The American Consul to Yemen promises a barrel of Tennessee Whiskey to Admiral Napier and his officers if they dock in Arabia.

nemethand
Colonel

Wed Mar 09, 2016 11:41 pm

St Petersburg Gazette, Early May 1852

Our Far East squadron has joined the ranks of civilised nations stepping up against barbarian pirates - might it have been because of the generous offer of the American Consul to Yemen? It remains to be seen. In any way, another force of outlaws has been sent to the bottom of the sea.

The attachment 1852__www.kepfeltoltes.hu_.png is no longer available
Attachments
1852__www.kepfeltoltes.hu_.png

De_Spinoza
Lieutenant

Mon Mar 14, 2016 12:53 am

Wiener Zeitung - Early August 1852
WAR DECLARED - LIBERATION OF WALLACHIA IMMINENT
The Ministry of War today issued a statement that made people in all the Empire's cities and towns take to the streets in joy: war has been declared on the illegitimate puppet-government installed in Wallachia through brute Ottoman force. The barbarous Ottoman yoke imposed on the Wallachian people is at this very moment being destroyed by Austrian arms. Pamphlets are clandestinely being distributed in Bucharest to make the city's inhabitants aware of their coming liberation, while columns of troops have crossed the Wallachian-Austrian border. The long-overdue re-integration of Wallachia into the Habsburg Empire is only days away!

bjfagan
General of the Army

The Times of London - Early August 1852

Mon Mar 14, 2016 7:25 pm

AUSTRIAN AGGRESSION UNLEASHED

London - News has reached Whitehall of Austria's declaration of war against Wallachia. Prime Minister Lord Russell stated, "Her Majesty's Government is shocked and disappointed that Austria would go so far as to invade a peaceful neighboring country. The government of Prince Barbu Ştirbei was instituting moderate reforms to improve Wallachia under the joint tutelage of the Ottomans and Russians. We are surprised the Russians remain quiet on this matter and are apparently willing to see their Slavic kinsmen subjugated in such a barbarous way. The Cabinet will hold an emergency meeting this afternoon to determine a British response. In the meantime, the Royal Navy has dispatched a squadron to the Adriatic."

When pressed for his thoughts on the matter Foreign Secretary Lord Granville stated, "We are stupefied by Russian inaction and silence over this grave incident. For such a bold and calculated land grab to take place at the front door of Mother Russia without so much as the slightest protest is amazing. The Austrians are obviously trying to goad the Ottomans into a war and Russian silence shows duplicity in this scheme. We must therefore conclude the Russians are planning something against the Turks too."

nemethand
Colonel

Russia public response to Britain

Tue Mar 15, 2016 2:21 pm

St. Petersburg, Late August, 1852

The Russian Ministry for Foreign Affairs issued a brief statement today.

"Our position regarding the Danuvian provinces is well known and has been on the public record for some time, as anyone can recall.

nemethand wrote:At the same time, the Ministry also issued a public statement supporting protection over the Danuvian Principalities. "Fully concurring with the Austrian statement, we strongly believe that protection by Austria should bring peace and prosperity to Wallachia and security to the Balkan, just as a similar status over Moldavia by Russia."

Nevertheless, we are, naturally, at Her Majesty's Government's disposal to discuss this issue or any other. Privately. Bilaterally. As we have already initiated and have done in the past. But certainly not through the press."

De_Spinoza
Lieutenant

Wiener Zeitung - Late August 1852

Tue Mar 15, 2016 2:51 pm

PRO-OTTOMAN MILITIA ROUTED - BUCHAREST UNDER SIEGE - AUSTRIAN TROOPS WELCOMED IN CRAIOVA
The first engagement of the Austrian liberation of Wallachia took place outside of Bucharest's defences. A small force of Ottoman sympathisers was quickly routed by forward elements of General von Hess's Fourth Army. 1400 members of the pro-Ottoman force were rounded up after the battle, disarmed, and freed the same day on the condition that they would not take up arms against the Austrian Empire and its local supporters again. A full regiment of pro-Ottoman light cavalry was decimated when it, heroically but without thought, tried to charge into a disciplined line of Austrian infantrymen.

With that, the road to Bucharest lay open, and Austrian forces quickly surrounded the city. The walls still appear to be manned by a small pro-Ottoman garrison, but General von Hess has decided to give them the opportunity to surrender. This will hopefully prevent further loss of life. However, should the garrison not yield, General von Hess has stated that Bucharest will be freed by force before winter sets in, to prevent civilian suffering during the harsh Wallachian winter.

Unfortunately, a division of pro-Ottoman militia troops managed to escape to the western region of Craiova, which had already been secured by a small detachment of Jäger troops. Despite suffering severe losses, the heavily outnumbered Jäger force managed to stand its ground until a relief force arrived. Upon the arrival of the relief force the pro-Ottoman militiamen retreated in disarray to a forest in the south-west of Craiova, apparently intent on making a futile last stand. The main city named after the province was, however, captured without a single shot being fired, and its population lined the streets to cheer at the Austrian forces marching through the city.

BRITISH FLEET IN THE ADRIATIC
Several fishermen and merchants have observed a large British fleet sailing into the Adriatic, apparently following threatening remarks by the British Prime Minister against our nation. The Austrian foreign minister, Prince Felix von Schwarzenberg, urged the people not to worry: "The British appear intent on having an opinion on what happens on every place of this earth, but we are as of yet not concerned. Like any other fleet, the British navy has the right to navigate the Adriatic waters, so long as they do not interfere with local fishermen and merchants - so we are not offended by their presence, albeit puzzled over the purpose of this action."

The Prince did, however, strongly argue against the British PM's claim to having anything to say over the long-since established Austrian sphere of influence. "The British have no presence in Wallachia or Moldavia, and seem to be very ill-informed about recent developments. They insinuate, for example, that Russia has remained "silent" over this issue, while they actually already made a clear statement in February in support of Austrian actions", referring to the then Russian statement that "Fully concurring with the Austrian statement, we strongly believe that protection by Austria should bring peace and prosperity to Wallachia and security to the Balkan, just as a similar status over Moldavia by Russia."

De_Spinoza
Lieutenant

Sun Apr 03, 2016 12:47 am

Wiener Zeitung, early June 1853
UNILATERAL BRITISH CLAIM SPARKS DIPLOMATIC CRISIS IN BORNEO
The Austrian government is unpleasantly surprised at Great Britain's sudden claim of protectorate status over Kuching and associated lands in northern Borneo. The Austrian foreign ministry was given no prior notice of this action, which caused a grave crisis completely outside of the Empire's will. Many merchant families in Vienna are anxiously awaiting news from their relatives and friends active in the flourishing Austrian trading posts. Asked for comment, the wife of a successful trader could only state that she had immediately sent a letter to her husband, demanding that he returns home immediately. "After all, the British are known for their aggressive actions - only recently they sailed a fleet up the Adriatic. What is the source of these brash and aggressive actions? I, for one, will boycot all British produce!".

Foreign Minister Prince Felix zu Schwarzenberg also expressed his frustration with the British move. "We have vital trading interests in this area, but were not at all interested in sparking a colonial crisis with the British. Should they have discussed their intentions in Borneo earlier we could have easily come to an agreement! This sudden British claim is an affront to proper diplomacy, and now things have spun out of control". He also called on all friends of Austria to support them in resolving this grave crisis without bloodshed.

bjfagan
General of the Army

The Times of London, Early June 1853

Sun Apr 03, 2016 9:26 pm

AUSTRIAN PROTESTS OVER BORNEO

Whitehall - The Foreign Office revealed a diplomatic crisis has erupted over the Austrian Government's protest against the establishment of a British protectorate in Borneo. While answering questions from reporters, Lord Clarendon the Foreign Secretary stated, "Quite simply, the native chiefs on Borneo were afraid of this rash of Austrian business interests in their territory. Based on what happened in Wallachia, they did not want Austrian meddling or protection at the point of a bayonet. So they asked for British help. The Foreign Office moved very quickly to put the territory of Borneo under British Protectorate status, thus Her Majesty's protection. The Austrian's should have seen this coming. Their interest in Borneo started at the exact same time as Her Majesty's Government was protesting the Austrian attack and subjugation of Wallachia. They were obviously agitating for a British response. Why were they so far from their stated sphere of influence in Southern Europe anyways?"

De_Spinoza
Lieutenant

Mon Apr 04, 2016 11:16 pm

Wiener Zeitung, Late June 1853
GREAT BRITAIN THREATENED WAR OVER BORNEO
Austrian diplomats involved in the crisis over Borneo faced inconsiderate and threatening British opposition. Our diplomatic correspondent has learned that at a late point in the negotiations the British gave an ultimatum, threatening with war should Austria not immediately stop pressing the issue. Following common sense and out of care for world peace, Austrian diplomats ceased pressing the issue. An unnamed source in the foreign ministry shared both his disappointment and indignation "We used to know our British colleagues as considerate, thoughtful, and honourable men. I am shocked that they now seem to be willing to risk war over a small stroke of land on a pacific island. This once again shows that Great Britain is more than willing to risk war over isolated and remote colonial disputes - a warning to all nations active in the same lands as the British".

Lynxyonok
AGEod Veteran

Tue Apr 05, 2016 1:09 am

Just an observer's note... both sides should not have been victors, walking away with over 800 prestige each. What amounted to essentially a draw, should have meant no gain for either side.

bjfagan
General of the Army

Wed Apr 06, 2016 1:43 am

De_Spinoza wrote:Wiener Zeitung, Late June 1853
GREAT BRITAIN THREATENED WAR OVER BORNEO
Austrian diplomats involved in the crisis over Borneo faced inconsiderate and threatening British opposition. Our diplomatic correspondent has learned that at a late point in the negotiations the British gave an ultimatum, threatening with war should Austria not immediately stop pressing the issue. Following common sense and out of care for world peace, Austrian diplomats ceased pressing the issue. An unnamed source in the foreign ministry shared both his disappointment and indignation "We used to know our British colleagues as considerate, thoughtful, and honourable men. I am shocked that they now seem to be willing to risk war over a small stroke of land on a pacific island. This once again shows that Great Britain is more than willing to risk war over isolated and remote colonial disputes - a warning to all nations active in the same lands as the British".

OOC: If this is Austrian propaganda, no problem, but in fact the ultimatum was Austrian. No British ultimatum was given. The left cards were Austrian and the right were British. The harshest card played by the British was a Warning which both parties gave at the end.

Return to “PON Conflict in Europe - Redux”