Leibst

Thu Jun 06, 2013 9:07 pm

Maybe should be reviewed the naval comabt system.... 12162 dead, and all the ships lost against 0. :bonk:
Headquarter game designer of Battles For Spain, Ageod English Civil War, España:1936 and Thirty Years War
HQ website

PhilThib

Thu Jun 06, 2013 9:43 pm

Not really...what you see here is the difference of technology, where guns firing at long range leave almost no chance to the weaker side...in history, you can take a good comparison with the battle of the Falklands in 1914 where the British battlecruisers 15" guns killed the German squadron ships without them ever able to close range to make their return fire felt...

unclejoe
Lieutenant

Thu Jun 06, 2013 10:42 pm

Early July 1883.
A Message from Minister Van Loon:
It is regrettable news: China and Japan warring and now Italy and The Ottoman Empire. We remain steadfastly neutral and will do so as long as our lands and people are not threatened. We hope that these wars will not spread and that a return to peace will come soon. The economies of all Nations have had a recent jolt and now wars....these are trouble times. Belgium is bringing civilization to the Dark Continent. We can only hope that the Civilized nations of the world will condemn these wars and come together to bring about a Peaceful Solution.

Soulstrider
Major

Fri Jun 07, 2013 12:43 am

PhilThib wrote:Not really...what you see here is the difference of technology, where guns firing at long range leave almost no chance to the weaker side...in history, you can take a good comparison with the battle of the Falklands in 1914 where the British battlecruisers 15" guns killed the German squadron ships without them ever able to close range to make their return fire felt...

Not to mention is hard to fight back with no ammunition.

bjfagan
General of the Army

Fri Jun 07, 2013 1:06 am

Soulstrider wrote:Not to mention is hard to fight back with no ammunition.

Actually, if you check the battle screen you will see that you had 100% ammo (lower right hand corner). Plus if you check the combat round screen you will see that none of your squadrons suffered from a lack of ammo.

Soulstrider
Major

Fri Jun 07, 2013 1:09 am

bjfagan wrote:Actually, if you check the battle screen you will see that you had 100% ammo (lower right hand corner). Plus if you check the combat round screen you will see that none of your squadrons suffered from a lack of ammo.

Really? I could have sworn they had no ammo since they had been firing on rebels for quite a while, actually I am pretty sure that the lack of ammo and supplies was the main reason why I was sending fleet to harbour.

Leibst

Fri Jun 07, 2013 7:57 am

PhilThib wrote:Not really...what you see here is the difference of technology, where guns firing at long range leave almost no chance to the weaker side...in history, you can take a good comparison with the battle of the Falklands in 1914 where the British battlecruisers 15" guns killed the German squadron ships without them ever able to close range to make their return fire felt...

Something similar happened in Cuba with Spain vs USA. But if im not worng was very near the cost, maybe in open sea the old fleet could flee, or at least some vessels.
Headquarter game designer of Battles For Spain, Ageod English Civil War, España:1936 and Thirty Years War
HQ website

PhilThib

Fri Jun 07, 2013 8:43 am

Agreed, but here again it depends on respective speed... at the Falklands, all but one of the 5 German ships were sunk, despite the fact that only 2 British ships (the BCs) were faster...most of the kills were done by heavy shells falling upon them for farther away than they could shoot themselves... the two (slower) German AC sacrificed themselves, but managed to allow only one ship to escape as the other British CL managed to catch up with their German counterparts....

Modelling a naval combat as it more or less worked in the 19th-20th centuries would require an extensive change in the battle engine by incorporating the speed factor...at the moment, we managed to play on other factors such as evasion value or combat signature, but it's not perfect, although the results are quite close.

bjfagan
General of the Army

Il Messaggero, Late July 1883

Sat Jun 08, 2013 8:56 pm

DODECANESE ISLANDS CAPTURED

Rome - The Ministry of War announced Italian forces under the command of General Pallavicini di Priola captured the town of Rhodos after a quick assault on the city garrison. Other island defenders surrendered shortly afterwards.

[ATTACH]22908[/ATTACH]

TRIPOLI FALLS

Tunis - The town of Tripoli quickly fell to Italian regular and native forces under the Tunisian Sultan Muhammad al-Sadiq Bey. Many Ottoman defenders retreated from the city into the desert towards Benghazi.

[ATTACH]22909[/ATTACH]
Attachments
Battle of Tripoli.jpg
Battle for Rhodos.jpg

PhilThib

Gordon Avenged at last: death of the Mahdi

Sat Jun 08, 2013 9:26 pm

In a brillant assault, the army of Friedriech Franzl von Mecklenburg stormed the Mahdist capital of El Atrun in the province of Kordofan. More than 10,000 rebels left their lives, although we learnt that the death toll was also heavy on the German side in another large battle at Sennar (but the remaining Mahdist army there is all but annihilated).

This said, the greatest piece of news is that all leaders of the rebellion were killed during the battle, including Muhamad Ahmad.

In Cairo, the Khedive is delighted and has granted to all the valiant foreign soldiers that took part in this terrible campaign a personal reward. "The powers who helped Egypt will remain our friends forever" said he...

Various small groups of Mahdist followers remain in the Sudan, but the death of their charismatic leader will probably spell the end of the rebellion, and Egyptian control and order shall be restored soon in the Sudan.

The OKH in Berlin, in coordination with the Admiral Stab, are taking measures so that the valiant German troops be repatriated home very soon.

Lemoni
Sergeant

Sat Jun 08, 2013 9:46 pm

DUTCH NEWS
A few months ago one of our Garisons in Busaso,in SOMALIA deserted without a reason ( I never understood why I lost control of it ,bug? ) and started to wander
in the inner lands of Africa. ITALY took advantage of this fact , send troops to the area and started to gain military control.
I understand that Italian Goverment could not accept the fact that after 3 years they fell well behind Holland in Prestige Points and initiated what we call COLD WAR.
The Dutch Goverment will not answer to all these provocations for the time being but demands Italy to withdraw from the area and maintain the previous
Status Quo.
There have been big efforts from Holland to develop the area and build a medium sized harbor there,useful for resapply and rest in the big journey from Europe to Indonesia
for our ships and sailors and of course for the ships and sailors of almost every nation with good relations to Holland.

Soulstrider
Major

Sat Jun 08, 2013 10:40 pm

War escalates

Facing overwhelming forces the Tripoli army orderly evacuates leaving only a skeleton garrison. Meanwhile in Benghazi, Italian Marines attempting to conduct a surprise invasion of the Cyrenaica are intercepted by reinforcements and soundly defeated.

[CENTER]Image[/CENTER]

Meanwhile in the Ottoman fort in Massawa, a much smaller garrison repels an massive Italian assault, proving once again the valour of the Turkish troops.

[CENTER]Image[/CENTER]

Anywhere where the Italian troops lay their feet, the native people rise in support of the benevolent Ottoman rule, in Lybia native camel riders bolter the Ottoman ranks, and in Massawa with the capture of the Port, the Ethiopians join the Ottoman struggle fearing the Italian presence in the region
[CENTER]
[/CENTER]
Mahdi threat is no more

In this joyous occasion the brave German soldiers under the command Friedriech Franzl von Mecklenburg soundly defeated the core of the Mahdist rebellions. The Ottoman Empire congratulates the Germans great job at aiding it's vassal.
Herr Von Mecklenburg will also be formally invited to Constantinople to be awarded Third Class Order of the Medjidie for it's services to the Empire and it's inhabitants.
(OCC: You don't have to actually send him, it's just a bit of RP)

[CENTER]Image[/CENTER]

bjfagan
General of the Army

Sun Jun 09, 2013 12:05 am

OOC: Soulstrider you will note that last turn the fort at Massawa was assaulted 7 times and the garrison eliminated each time. There is a respawn bug for some reason. I mentioned this to PhilThib and he is going to fix it with a script.

bjfagan
General of the Army

Sun Jun 09, 2013 12:09 am

Lemoni wrote:DUTCH NEWS
A few months ago one of our Garisons in Busaso,in SOMALIA deserted without a reason ( I never understood why I lost control of it ,bug? ) and started to wander
in the inner lands of Africa. ITALY took advantage of this fact , send troops to the area and started to gain military control.
I understand that Italian Goverment could not accept the fact that after 3 years they fell well behind Holland in Prestige Points and initiated what we call COLD WAR.
The Dutch Goverment will not answer to all these provocations for the time being but demands Italy to withdraw from the area and maintain the previous
Status Quo.
There have been big efforts from Holland to develop the area and build a medium sized harbor there,useful for resapply and rest in the big journey from Europe to Indonesia
for our ships and sailors and of course for the ships and sailors of almost every nation with good relations to Holland.

The Italian Government wishes their Dutch colleagues to understand that Somalia is now an Italian Protectorate and as such, the Dutch are trespassing. Please evacuate all personnel as soon as possible.

Soulstrider
Major

Sun Jun 09, 2013 11:45 am

bjfagan wrote:OOC: Soulstrider you will note that last turn the fort at Massawa was assaulted 7 times and the garrison eliminated each time. There is a respawn bug for some reason. I mentioned this to PhilThib and he is going to fix it with a script.

OOC:I noticed, but well no reason to not post a little funny victory.

Matto
Colonel

Sun Jun 09, 2013 9:16 pm

News from Sino-Japanese War - 1883, early August
China forces leaded by general Wang Debang were destroyed at Okinawa. Japan Army returned in force ...
Napoleon days in Austerlitz 2011 - photo gallery
My Czech pages agout AGEOD: AGEOD games, RoP AAR - Prussian side
My AGEOD games: WoN, TYW, EAW, CW2, AJE, PoN, NCP, ROP Gold, RUS Gold and BOA2

unclejoe
Lieutenant

Thu Jun 13, 2013 10:18 pm

Jim-NC

Fri Jun 14, 2013 1:09 pm

Diplomatic Note from America

We regret that due to unforseen circumstances, America will not be able to reply to any diplomatic cables during this period (OOC - there was a major wind storm, and I don't have power at home, so I can't submit a turn for the Friday processing, and may or may not be able to submit for Saturday processing).

Once the telegraph system is re-built, we can respond to messages.
Remember - The beatings will continue until morale improves.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

PhilThib

Fri Jun 14, 2013 3:36 pm

Good luck with the repair teams then :bonk:

unclejoe
Lieutenant

Fri Jun 14, 2013 4:02 pm

Jim-NC wrote:Diplomatic Note from America

We regret that due to unforseen circumstances, America will not be able to reply to any diplomatic cables during this period (OOC - there was a major wind storm, and I don't have power at home, so I can't submit a turn for the Friday processing, and may or may not be able to submit for Saturday processing).

Once the telegraph system is re-built, we can respond to messages.

The Antwerp News
The U.S. telegraph being down has spurred on talk of radio telegraphy which has been demonstrated by Loomis. Some are suggesting it be heavily researched and have already coined a new term for it, Wireless.

(Wik: In 1866, Mahlon Loomis, an American dentist, successfully demonstrated "wireless telegraphy." Loomis was able to make a meter connected to one kite cause another one to move, marking the first known instance of wireless aerial communication.)

Matto
Colonel

Sun Jun 16, 2013 11:12 am

News from Sino-Japanese War - 1883, early November
Japanese forces crossed the Jalu river two weeks ago. China forces moved closer and now battle occurs. It was bloody battle for both sides ...

The attachment PON_FirstJalu.jpg is no longer available
Attachments
PON_FirstJalu.jpg

Matto
Colonel

Sun Jun 16, 2013 10:24 pm

News from Sino-Japanese War - 1883, late November
Battle on the Jalu river continues ... Japanese force is retreating so losses are heavier.
On the other side Japan started mobilization of reserves and successfully invaded Taiwan ...

The attachment PON_SecondJalu.jpg is no longer available
Attachments
PON_SecondJalu.jpg

Matto
Colonel

Mon Jun 17, 2013 9:11 pm

News from Sino-Japanese War - 1883, early December
It looks Japan force is trapped on the north bank of the Jalu river ... and weather is horrible

The attachment PON_ThirdJalu.jpg is no longer available
Attachments
PON_ThirdJalu.jpg

Lindi
General

Wed Jun 19, 2013 2:07 am

Lorraine, Metz, 1st January 1884

A flag goes down, replaced by another, no shots are fired, no insult heard, and not even any hatred seen between the two officers present who are supervising the symbolic flag exchange. With this simple gesture, everyone now understands that Lorraine is no longer German, but French!

On the side a detachment of soldiers of the French Republic is facing one of the German Reich. Under the eyes of the citizens of Metz, an amazing discourse is at first addressed to the crowd in German by the officer of the Kaiser, and while throughout the city, printers in full swing (under the watchful eye of French censorship) are producing pamphlets to be distributed all over Lorraine, the French officer moves forwards and, in turn, with a cheerful tone, starts to read that same pamphlet:

Treaty of Versailles

To every citizen of Lorraine, Jules Ferry President of the French Republic, is proud and filled with joy to officially announce the reunion of Lorraine to the territory of France in a totally peaceful treaty signed at Versailles with the German Empire.

Our hatred towards those who have once beaten us by the force of arms is no longer, because we admitted that it was more important to recognize the rights and will of the people who lived in different territories than to be in a constant state of eternal war. As a consequence, France recognizes the eternal attachment of Elsass (Alsace) to Germany by the simple fact that the majority of its population is of German ethnic and, reciprocally, the Kaiser agrees to recognize the eternal attachment of Lorraine to France by the simple fact that when one looks at you, one can only can see brave and happy citizens of France!

Today we celebrate the victory of the words over swords! No other victory has a better taste, and instead of seeing in Germany a long-lasting enemy of France, our nation is pleased to announce that a formal treaty of alliance is now linking the fate of the Franco-German Relations!

Long live Germany!
Vive la France!

Signed:
Jules Grevy, President of the French Republic
Jules Ferry, Chairman
Mikael Lanouette, French Ambassador in charge

Philip von Thibau, Imperial Secretary of the Außenministerium Deutschland, representing in Metz
Wilhelm I, Emperor of the German Reich
Otto von Bismarck, Chancellor of the German Reich

The party that was to follow throughout France would remain in the annals of history:
[ATTACH]22988[/ATTACH]
Attachments
La Marseillaise Beraud 1880.jpg

unclejoe
Lieutenant

Wed Jun 19, 2013 7:57 am

The Antwerp Daily News Jan. 1884
The people of Belgium were in the streets celebrating.....somehow their joy over the good will of the French and German powers for each other has permeated the entire country and perhaps the world: the hope and belief for now is that this may signal the end of all wars in Europe. It is a joyful day in this part of the world. May it be ever so.

Sir Garnet

Wed Jun 19, 2013 8:59 am

LONDON

Trading in London was highly volatile following word of the Franco-German treaty and a rumor that the news was a Rothschild-like scheme to move the markets. Trading became more orderly upon official confirmation. Questions were put in Parliament inquiring as to the effect of the new alliance and the government's intentions regarding the opportunity for economy in military expenditures occasioned by this balm for European tensions.

PhilThib

Wed Jun 19, 2013 9:31 am

BERLIN

The Kaiser and the German Reich Chancellor are pleased to confirm that they are now 'surrounded' by friendly neighbours. We are confident that Europe can prosper and develop in peace, provided no stupid colonial incident turns into a conflict, like what just happened in Africa. This can not always be prevented, but logic and reason shall prevail over time. It's important that we all bring the light of civilization to the people of the world, starting with those of the Dark Continent who need our enlightened guidance and economic goods.

As a gesture of goodwill (and also a proof of Germanic "Kunst und Teknik" ;) ), Germany will offer each of its major trading partner 1 Automobile when the new Benz Motorwagen GmbH factory of Mainz will be operational in 1885 :thumbsup:

Lemoni
Sergeant

Wed Jun 19, 2013 9:50 pm

PhilThib wrote:BERLIN

The Kaiser and the German Reich Chancellor are pleased to confirm that they are now 'surrounded' by friendly neighbours. We are confident that Europe can prosper and develop in peace, provided no stupid colonial incident turns into a conflict, like what just happened in Africa. This can not always be prevented, but logic and reason shall prevail over time. It's important that we all bring the light of civilization to the people of the world, starting with those of the Dark Continent who need our enlightened guidance and economic goods.

As a gesture of goodwill (and also a proof of Germanic "Kunst und Teknik" ;) ), Germany will offer each of its major trading partner 1 Automobile when the new Benz Motorwagen GmbH factory of Mainz will be operational in 1885 :thumbsup:

Please exlude Italy from this offer because it's Goverment seems to be in a different mood from the other European countries (continuing war with OE and suprisingly taking a base in Somalia from Holland)

unclejoe
Lieutenant

Thu Jun 20, 2013 12:12 am

Jan 1884

PhilThib

Berlin Conference 1884

Thu Jun 20, 2013 8:21 pm

Bismarck called a 'Congo Conference' in Berlin to regulate colonization and trade in Central Africa. Fourteen countries were represented. King Leopold of Belgium was able to persuade the national delegations that it would be best to declare the Congo River and Niger River mouths and basins a neutral and free trade area and give it to him. He emerged triumphant and became the personal ruler of 30 million people and of a million square miles of unmapped jungle (75 times the size of Belgium itself), to be constituted as the 'Congo Free State'. After this Berlin Conference, the European powers launched a period of heightened colonial activity, while simultaneously eliminating most existing forms of African autonomy and self-governance.

Text missing from the CMN event. In essence, lots of Belgian CP added in the Congo. Other effects of the event look bugged (they had outposts and tradeposts almost everywhere), so will need to be fixed in tomorrow's session :cool:

Return to “[PON] World in Conflict - Diplomacy & News Thread”