joe
Lieutenant

Crash to main menu

Sat Feb 22, 2014 11:18 pm

I have version 1.03d QF. I am playing the Grand scenario as Peidmont. The first seven years of the game I had no problems. Then during the "Loading Master File" part of the turn execution it would return to the main menu without an error message. I would start the turn execution again and most time it would then complete the turn. I would play a few more turns and then it would happen again. Once, I tried four different times and was still getting kicked out. Finally, I reloaded the previous turn and it worked. Any help would be welcome.

loki100
AGEod Guard of Honor

Sat Feb 22, 2014 11:24 pm

No help, but late game I had this quite a bit.

Crashing out is usually connected with a bad event/script. When you reloaded did you find you'd moved on a turn, or was it the old turn again?

Suggest you put the logs and scripts here - you can find them in vgn/scripts - and someone might be able to spot the issue.

If it is intermittent, which I had late game, it might be processing demand vs the capacity of your computer - in the end (but this was 1915+) I found that depending on the orders generated by the Russian AI this overloaded my laptop's processing capacity
AJE The Hero, The Traitor and The Barbarian
PoN Manufacturing Italy; A clear bright sun
RoP The Mightiest Empires Fall
WIA Burning down the Houses; Wars in America; The Tea Wars

joe
Lieutenant

Sun Feb 23, 2014 12:41 am

Thanks loki. It was the old turn again. My computer has a 2.50GHz processor and 6.00 GB (RAM). I will try to attach the files.

loki100
AGEod Guard of Honor

Sun Feb 23, 2014 1:30 pm

No immediate help for you but looking at the log its not preparing the AI files but its to do with execution.

When I've had similar, its often been a 'bad' event file that sets it off. I find a flawed event file can most often lead to a crash after turn processing (so when you reload you find the new turn etc) but sometimes on processing. Have you added/amended any event files?

joe
Lieutenant

Sun Feb 23, 2014 3:13 pm

No I have not added or amended any event files. Thanks for checking again.

loki100
AGEod Guard of Honor

Sun Feb 23, 2014 4:33 pm

joe wrote:No I have not added or amended any event files. Thanks for checking again.

Hi I've run the turn and it goes fine for me. But I am using the 1.04 beta as I've been testing event modifications.

There were no errors and only a couple of 'warnings'

one event was: evt_nam_GBR_IndependenceAustralia1900
the other: evt_nam_CMN_RaidersCleanup2

then has the text:

Line 62250: Started processing event: evt_nam_CMN_RaidersCleanup2
Line 62250: Event already referenced, current occurences 72 Max allowed: 999 <<Active>>
Line 62253: Min date evaluated: 1850/01/01 converted to turn 2401 current turn 2600 True
Line 62254: Max date evaluated: 1919/12/31 converted to turn 4081 current turn 2600 True
Line 62255: TurnIndex: Testing 7 vs current turn index: 7 True
Line 62257: Entering triggered actions for event evt_nam_CMN_RaidersCleanup2
Line 62259: SelectFaction, selected: Rebels
Line 62260: SelectSubUnits finished Regions Selected: 0 SubUnits Selected: 0
Line 62261: [WARNING] AlterCuSubUnit: Selection is empty (Apply To List)
Line 62263: Finished processing event: evt_nam_CMN_RaidersCleanup2

Now that should make no difference at all (all it is saying is the list it is evaluating is empty)

I found the event in \\vgn\events\vgn Native Raids and its the land version of an event that removes naval pirates. Its basically, if I'm right, designed to clear out redundant rebel forces.

You could try opening that event file, cut out that event (save it another notepad file just in case) and see if the processing works without it. Its a useful event for cleaning up the map but I don't think its critical - but its the only thing I can see in the game log that is at all wierd.

joe
Lieutenant

Mon Feb 24, 2014 1:01 am

Thanks loki. I will try that. Right now I'm on something of a roll and have gone 20+ turns without a crash.

Return to “PON Technical Support / Aide Technique”