loki100
AGEod Guard of Honor

Transfer of goods from overseas regions

Sun Oct 13, 2013 3:37 pm

This maybe WAD or a bug, so I'll put a full report and a recent save here. In my AAR, there has been a clear problem in transferring overseas production back to Italy. Having done a lot of testing, it is only affecting goods being shipped via the Indian Ocean trade zone (as far as I can work out). Its happened recently in the game (so its not a patch or a war). I've included both the relevant post and the surrounding discussion:

Jim-NC wrote:Something appears to be seriously out of alignment in your production/transportation network. Looking at your screens, it appears that Tea, Coffee, Tropical Fruits, Sugar and Opium are in the same "boat" so to speak. If you are actually producing them (the problem is the F4 screen shows "planned" production, not actual), they are not getting shipped back to the homeland. So there is something wrong with those colonial areas I am guessing. Have you checked your collection of goods? It's one of the filters in the lower left of the screen.

Asher413 wrote:Jim/Loki, I'd love to hear more about this, as I (as Russia) seem to have had the same issue with tobacco in America. I gave up and sold it, then tried to buy it back, but it didn't appear to really get to my people. Hopefully there's an answer to be learned here from you guys!

I'll do a normal 1898 update over the next couple of days but wanted to explore the question that Jim raises about my missing coffee et al.

This is recent, so its not patch related, a couple of game years back I had a huge stock.

Equally, goods in small production do tend to fluctuate substantially in terms of stocks. The main reason is that sales to population come from stock not production – sensible both from a realism perspective and in terms of coding the process. The result is every now and then you sell far more than you produce for a few turns, the stock collapses as a result, sales then decrease and stocks rebuild.

Now I have no answer, but I think I can eliminate some options.

First here is my collection screen:

Green is where I can collect my production, orange I can't. Now most of the orange is useless terrain producing nothing but at some stage my collection centre on the Yemen coast has been lost. So a useful double check, I'll add that back as there is coffee and opium I can take from those two provinces.

So its not the simple answer.

Second question is whether what is being produced is coming up for sale. Well yes:

Those are the production from Ethiopia and Yemen, key is that the total I am holding back (right hand side) pretty much matches each turn production from my sites:

Here is coffee – (I've blocked those sites in this particular region)

So I am producing around 151 from those locations which matches the shown stock pretty well. So its not piling up as stocks and not being forwarded to Italy. I'll not show it, but the same applies to the opium production. But that tends to remove the explanation that the problem is the production not actually happening.

I probably could do with more trade ships so I'll built a few more, but I don't think this is the bottleneck.

If we look at the flows for tropical fruits, I'm not sure it makes much sense. What this doesn't show is the transfer from my trading posts (these carry on sending a unit every third turn even if a full production unit is there) which will explain some of the jumps in stocks.

Looking at tropical fruits, my guess is that the large stock 9 turns back was a 'businessman' event. The jump in turn 5 is the consequence of a one-off success on the normal market.

Sales to market are 65% ie 5. Now accepting rounding, that indicates the baseline number is 7-8 which matches the stock shown at the top.

Here is the same for coffee and opium

So I producing the stuff, it is not staying in the colonial regions, it is being shown as production on the F4 screen, but all I have available seems to be imports from other nations and the random events.

This relatively recent. The attached is the non-industrial items for 1894, as you can see I was awash in coffee, the others less so, but then I had marginal production levels for those items.

So its not – no production happening, no transfer from production region, F4 shows the production, but clearly its never arriving in my main stocks or being sold to the population.

Jim-NC wrote:The reason I say there is probably a problem, is that your starting stock in both instances is below your amount you build each turn. For example, your opium is 15 and 16, but you are supposedly producing 42 each turn. It appears that you are selling approximately 80% of your stock in Opium each turn (12 of 15, and 13 of 16). Thus the opium level the turn before the snapshot would have needed to be 75 and 76. You might be right, but I doubt it. Looking at the update for 1898, your opium appears to still be in the same predicament.

Sorry this is a lot of text to wade through but was trying to work out if I wasn't missing something obvious ...

Save: [ATTACH]25280[/ATTACH]
Attachments
1850 GC0.zip
(4.71 MiB) Downloaded 162 times
AJE The Hero, The Traitor and The Barbarian
PoN Manufacturing Italy; A clear bright sun
RoP The Mightiest Empires Fall
WIA Burning down the Houses; Wars in America; The Tea Wars

Citizen X
AGEod Veteran

Sun Oct 13, 2013 5:51 pm

My guess is that you lack the coal. Looking at the save I see that you have a massive coal problem. Prtoduction sites might close down without notice or indication. What is shown on the production screen as well as on the Trade screen 'H' is an estimate. If you lack coal, luxury sites get closed down first, then goods like coffee etc. So this would fit, also to the lack of luxury goods allthough a lot of production is estimated in 'F4'. Try to shut down other production sites to safe coal and see if this changes anything in regard to coffee and opium. I have just recently learned that in a similar situation and saving coal up to having the amount of a full turns expense in stock and then not using up more than I produce has helped.

I think you are overstretched a little.
"I am here already.", said the hedgehog to the hare.

loki100
AGEod Guard of Honor

Sun Oct 13, 2013 6:21 pm

thanks for that, what I'll do is a test turn with the award of say 1500 coal as a lump (apols for the pun) and see if that kickstarts production again. Easiest way to test this theory.

But yes, I am overstrecthed, started a fast run to the end game and found that the various game constraints are slowing me down quite a lot. Which is good, always like a game with mechanisms to realistically rein in the dominant power.

Jim-NC

Mon Oct 14, 2013 3:10 am

Citizen X is correct, it's a production problem your facing. Your starting stock of Coal is about 420 units (subtracting out the ship/railroad needs), versus a need of 1134 to run all of your industry. This equates to about 36% of your industry at any given time is running.

I ran a quick test (1 turn), and got the following results:

Commodity, amount produced/amount requested
Steel - 159/334
Coal - 732/732
Supply - 178/197
Ammo - 55/152
Iron - 73/73
Minerals - 143/249
Cereals - 208/435
Fish - 86/165
Cattle - 151/280
Fruit - 55/110
Sugar - 12/12
Cotton - 16/31
Wood - 46/72
Dyes - 24/54
Wines 123/215
Chemicals - 72/159
Mfg Goods - 370/517
Textiles - 73/125
Mech Parts - 103/147
Electric Parts - 82/130
Silk - 58/58
Luxury Goods - 189/272
Gold - 14/68
Autos - 32/48
Planes - 36/52

And now the non producers:
Tea - 0/13
Coffee - 0/293
Tobacco - 0/138
Tropical Fruit - 0/85
Petroleum - 0/152
Opium - 0/42
Nitrates - 0/50
Gems - 0/180

You need to get your stock of coal to at least 1300 at the start of each turn to keep your industries running. The game is shutting your economy down. You simply must get more coal, and/or shut down more of your industry. I would recommend destroying that useless coal mine in Suisse (you actually need the production from a different mine).
Remember - The beatings will continue until morale improves.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

loki100
AGEod Guard of Honor

Mon Oct 14, 2013 8:09 am

thank you, ... not a bug, but my incompetence and WAD then ...

I did a simple test last night, gave myself a stock of 5000 coal and found that production was as planned.

as to those damn Swiss, I think that mine has worked for about 2 turns in 20 years ... all these rumours of the Swiss work ethic are clearly false :cool:

Jim-NC

Mon Oct 14, 2013 5:11 pm

A very painful WAD in this case.

You need every mine you can get that produces ~40 coal per turn. You better hope (or script) the transfer of those low producing mines to the host country. Otherwise you will have to destroy to build elsewhere.
Remember - The beatings will continue until morale improves.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Return to “PON Technical Support / Aide Technique”