Q-Kee
Lieutenant

Tue Jun 03, 2014 1:08 pm

I have a guy with face missing - HerrDan, you know how to give him one, right?

HerrDan

Tue Jun 03, 2014 5:54 pm

Q-Kee wrote:I have a guy with face missing - HerrDan, you know how to give him one, right?

Yes I do, tell me who he is and I can help you. :)

Q-Kee
Lieutenant

Thu Jun 05, 2014 9:00 pm

That's the guy:

[ATTACH]28507[/ATTACH]
Attachments
von beck.png

HerrDan

Thu Jun 05, 2014 9:03 pm

Q-Kee wrote:That's the guy:

[ATTACH]28507[/ATTACH]

Sorry I can't read his name in the screenshot, it's easier if you tell me his name. :(

loki100
AGEod Guard of Honor

Fri Jun 06, 2014 8:14 am

I think the issue is that von Beck Rizkowski has no picture on his counter?
AJE The Hero, The Traitor and The Barbarian
PoN Manufacturing Italy; A clear bright sun
RoP The Mightiest Empires Fall
WIA Burning down the Houses; Wars in America; The Tea Wars

Q-Kee
Lieutenant

Fri Jun 06, 2014 3:16 pm

Yes, that's the issue. It does not influence gameplay, but I just think he would look better with a face :) His name is "von Beck-Rzikowski" BTW, I sent you a pm as well.

HerrDan

Fri Jun 06, 2014 5:48 pm

I fixed the reference in his Model file, his nice Mustache shall now be displayed properly ;)

The problem is that I can't attach MDL files here :confused: you can send me your e-mail though pm and I'll send you the files.

Q-Kee
Lieutenant

Sun Jun 08, 2014 10:39 am

Many thanks Herr Dan - it works, and his beard is indeed nice!

HerrDan

Sun Jun 08, 2014 10:45 am

Q-Kee wrote:Many thanks Herr Dan - it works, and his beard is indeed nice!

Good to know it. :)

Q-Kee
Lieutenant

Update

Fri Jun 20, 2014 3:45 pm

I think it might be time for an update, although there is nothing really extraordinary to report.

The army is still by far the greatest around, and so is the navy. We are now researching steel battle ships and other modern stuff. Nigeria is a full colony and we are starting on Camerun. People are quite content, although not everywhere they are fully enthusiastic.

We have just finished a war on France and Italy in which we gained Alsace, but we gave France compensation in form of Savoy which shoulkd be rightfully French anyways. We have successfully fought a stack of doom, but it took 6 of our armies to encircle and trap it.

We are looking forward to more challenge, but we may also consider pausing the game for a longer time.

HerrDan

Fri Jun 20, 2014 6:50 pm

Q-Kee wrote:I think it might be time for an update, although there is nothing really extraordinary to report.

The army is still by far the greatest around, and so is the navy. We are now researching steel battle ships and other modern stuff. Nigeria is a full colony and we are starting on Camerun. People are quite content, although not everywhere they are fully enthusiastic.

We have just finished a war on France and Italy in which we gained Alsace, but we gave France compensation in form of Savoy which shoulkd be rightfully French anyways. We have successfully fought a stack of doom, but it took 6 of our armies to encircle and trap it.

We are looking forward to more challenge, but we may also consider pausing the game for a longer time.

You need challenge that's it, playing without historical constraints must be very boring exactly because of that, it's surely too easy, because the AI isn't adapted to react to this type of game (I mean sandbox, "jawohl let's conquer the world" etc....), so you would need to create some events to increase the challenge, making the AI stronger etc, and increasing the difficult level of the game is a must, even when playing with historical constraints let alone playing in a "sandbox" style with a mod that I think (I used "I think" because I haven't played it yet and don't know into details the changes made within this mod) creates a superpower out of Austria and probably without the problems that the Austrian-Hungarian empire already faced with a much smaller territory and diversity to deal with.

So I'd suggest you to play the standard game with historical constraints and with a higher difficult level and maybe you wouldn't end up bored as it seems you are. And as always if you need some help with events etc, you can count on me. :)

Q-Kee
Lieutenant

Wed Jun 25, 2014 2:35 pm

I have decided to pause the game - actually I have removed it from my PC, it really did mess it up.

You are right, HerrDan, that more challenge would be good, and more action. PON is quite more simcity than other AGEOD games, and having 1000 more or less capital next turn is not all that exciting. What I absolutely disagree about is "challenge = constraints". You have mentioned this quite a few times already, but I do not think those "historical" constraints have anything to do with how challenging the game is. Actually I do not even think these constraint are really "historical". As for the limit on number of buildings or factories, I cannot see the reason why one could make 10 more stee factories but not a single chemical plant - economy is about supply and demand, so if the workforce is there for 10 factories, those that produce what is in demand should be built, if the game wants to be realistic. For military units, I could create 2 divisions, but not 1 corps consisting of 2 divisions, that is nonsense. And about SOI - do the devs really want to tell me that (using my own exemple) the Habsburg family, who at times ruled over lands stretching from Eastern Europe to the American west coast and always liked to grab whatever they could easily get, would refuse a territory offered to them just because it was not inhabitated by German speaking population or adjoining their existing territory? Had they had a chance to regain Tuscany f.ex. which they had lost just a few decades ago, or the former Spanish Netherlands, would they not have jumped at the chance?

About the mod - first of all PON and any other AGEOD game gives you the chance to make your own decisions which can either follow or differ from the historical ones. AGEOD games as I understand them are about alternate history just as much as they are about correct historical background. Kensai created a very interesting "what if" scenario which is not at all unlikely! The likelyhood of the Habsburgs remaining the premier power in Germany is about as big as King George III. keeping his American colonies, given the numbers of their armies. Yes, all of Germany plus the Habsburg empire is quite a superpower, but not an unlikely one, see WWI when Austria-Hungary was more or less dependent on Germany or WWII when it was annexed by Germany. And the lust for colonies came in German economic circles just as naturally as in British or French, just a bit later – so who is to say it could not start a bit earlier, espcially given the stability and power (both militarily and economically) of unified Germany.

Finally, increasing difficulty IMHO is not possible in PON nor any other AGEOD game. All you can do is (further!) reduce the impact of game rules on the AI. Supply consumption and command malus are already reduced for the AI anyways, I see no need to worsen this relatively to the player, nor am I willing to grant it bonus for activation or detection. I would be willing to give the AI ships and armies it missed to build to make up for its lacks, but no cheating. Cheating would distort the game and make the war gaming dissatisfactory since no matter if one wins or loses, one would always know the other side did not play fair. Unfortunately, while the AI is better than most other game AIs, it is no match for a human player by far. Without any modding or turning off restrictions in BOA “my” George III could reconquer the American colonies until 1778 (if he didn’t always take the time to sort his regiments by color̷) . “My” Confederate States of America would secede unmolested and could have a BBQ at the Capitol in 1862 if General Lee did not insist to wait for all his general officers to turn up and form units strictly by state, and no modding or turning off in AACW either, so modding can surely not be blamed for player success.

Kensai

Wed Jun 25, 2014 2:54 pm

I am partly responsible for the lack of challenge in this mod, but I had warned you: doing the Großdeutschland Unification creates a behemoth, unrivaled in Europe and beyond in population and organization. Imagine how the WWI would have been in real life if Austria-Hungary was as organized and effective as Prussian Germany. Now think if all of this pool of potential under a unique banner!
Care to unify Germany as Austria? Recreate the Holy Roman Empire of the 20th Century:
Großdeutschland Mod
Are you tough enough to impersonate the Shogun and defy the Westerners? Prove it:
Shogun Defiance Mod (completed AAR)

HerrDan

Wed Jun 25, 2014 3:48 pm

Q-Kee wrote:I have decided to pause the game - actually I have removed it from my PC, it really did mess it up.

You are right, HerrDan, that more challenge would be good, and more action. PON is quite more simcity than other AGEOD games, and having 1000 more or less capital next turn is not all that exciting. What I absolutely disagree about is "challenge = constraints". You have mentioned this quite a few times already, but I do not think those "historical" constraints have anything to do with how challenging the game is. Actually I do not even think these constraint are really "historical". As for the limit on number of buildings or factories, I cannot see the reason why one could make 10 more stee factories but not a single chemical plant - economy is about supply and demand, so if the workforce is there for 10 factories, those that produce what is in demand should be built, if the game wants to be realistic. For military units, I could create 2 divisions, but not 1 corps consisting of 2 divisions, that is nonsense. And about SOI - do the devs really want to tell me that (using my own exemple) the Habsburg family, who at times ruled over lands stretching from Eastern Europe to the American west coast and always liked to grab whatever they could easily get, would refuse a territory offered to them just because it was not inhabitated by German speaking population or adjoining their existing territory? Had they had a chance to regain Tuscany f.ex. which they had lost just a few decades ago, or the former Spanish Netherlands, would they not have jumped at the chance?

About the mod - first of all PON and any other AGEOD game gives you the chance to make your own decisions which can either follow or differ from the historical ones. AGEOD games as I understand them are about alternate history just as much as they are about correct historical background. Kensai created a very interesting "what if" scenario which is not at all unlikely! The likelyhood of the Habsburgs remaining the premier power in Germany is about as big as King George III. keeping his American colonies, given the numbers of their armies. Yes, all of Germany plus the Habsburg empire is quite a superpower, but not an unlikely one, see WWI when Austria-Hungary was more or less dependent on Germany or WWII when it was annexed by Germany. And the lust for colonies came in German economic circles just as naturally as in British or French, just a bit later – so who is to say it could not start a bit earlier, espcially given the stability and power (both militarily and economically) of unified Germany.

Finally, increasing difficulty IMHO is not possible in PON nor any other AGEOD game. All you can do is (further!) reduce the impact of game rules on the AI. Supply consumption and command malus are already reduced for the AI anyways, I see no need to worsen this relatively to the player, nor am I willing to grant it bonus for activation or detection. I would be willing to give the AI ships and armies it missed to build to make up for its lacks, but no cheating. Cheating would distort the game and make the war gaming dissatisfactory since no matter if one wins or loses, one would always know the other side did not play fair. Unfortunately, while the AI is better than most other game AIs, it is no match for a human player by far. Without any modding or turning off restrictions in BOA “my” George III could reconquer the American colonies until 1778 (if he didn’t always take the time to sort his regiments by color…). “My” Confederate States of America would secede unmolested and could have a BBQ at the Capitol in 1862 if General Lee did not insist to wait for all his general officers to turn up and form units strictly by state, and no modding or turning off in AACW either, so modding can surely not be blamed for player success.

In most if not all games it works like this, the difficult level is basically giving the AI advantage over you (what you call "cheating"), if you give them none, specially playing a mod that turns you into a über power, then it's obvious that the game is too easy for you and that's the reason why you're bored. I won't get into what you consider "historical" or "economical" for the sake of our fellowship here. Well I tried my best to help you with the events you wanted, and then correcting those "missing faces", so it feels sad to know that you gave up after all. Well that's it.

Cheers,
Daniel.
"Das Glück hilft dem Kühnen."

German Empire PON 1880 AAR:http://www.ageod-forum.com/showthread.php?35152-German-Empire-not-quite-an-AAR

Q-Kee
Lieutenant

Wed Jun 25, 2014 7:04 pm

Kensai wrote:I am partly responsible for the lack of challenge in this mod, but I had warned you: doing the Großdeutschland Unification creates a behemoth, unrivaled in Europe and beyond in population and organization. Imagine how the WWI would have been in real life if Austria-Hungary was as organized and effective as Prussian Germany. Now think if all of this pool of potential under a unique banner!

No, you are not. The game is not all that challenging, especially for a player like me who likes war games AND does not have that much time to spend on them. It is the imagination of A-H being effective that is a) the reason I play PON as A-H and b) what made your mod so attractive to me. I may well continue this game (I have the savegame) later and play until WWI. Your mod is great, because it gives the player the chance to alter history in one of the many ways that could very well have been. I am very grateful for this big piece of work you did!

HerrDan, I thank you too for correcting the one missing face, although I seem to have forgotten what events you made for me for which I ask you to accept my apologies. Just in case my previous post was too long for you to bother to read, I have played 4 other AGEOD games besides PON so far and loved them all even though the AI is no real challenge. And there is a difference between giving the AI more weapons under the same rules which would be ok for me, or bend the rules for the AI - if the AI does not build up a decent army, no bended rules will win it any battles. Anyways I am a bit surprised to find you willing to all but call me an idiot who knows neither history nor economy, but not bring up any arguments against mine, and then claim to do it for the sake of "our fellowship". Well, I sure do not regard anyone as a fellow who calls me an idiot, so please do not feel the need to restrain yourself if you cannot help it.

HerrDan

Wed Jun 25, 2014 8:14 pm

Q-Kee wrote:No, you are not. The game is not all that challenging, especially for a player like me who likes war games AND does not have that much time to spend on them. It is the imagination of A-H being effective that is a) the reason I play PON as A-H and b) what made your mod so attractive to me. I may well continue this game (I have the savegame) later and play until WWI. Your mod is great, because it gives the player the chance to alter history in one of the many ways that could very well have been. I am very grateful for this big piece of work you did!

HerrDan, I thank you too for correcting the one missing face, although I seem to have forgotten what events you made for me for which I ask you to accept my apologies. Just in case my previous post was too long for you to bother to read, I have played 4 other AGEOD games besides PON so far and loved them all even though the AI is no real challenge. And there is a difference between giving the AI more weapons under the same rules which would be ok for me, or bend the rules for the AI - if the AI does not build up a decent army, no bended rules will win it any battles. Anyways I am a bit surprised to find you willing to all but call me an idiot who knows neither history nor economy, but not bring up any arguments against mine, and then claim to do it for the sake of "our fellowship". Well, I sure do not regard anyone as a fellow who calls me an idiot, so please do not feel the need to restrain yourself if you cannot help it.

Don't put words in my mouth, your harsh response only proves the point of my post, I don't want to create conflict here on the forums, but I have to say that I utterly disagree with you in your "wishful thinking" about playing in a more difficult not making a difference or worse, that you could have afforded to have your huge empire in the "standard" game. One thing you simply cannot understand is that this game is about hstory, with some "what ifs", indeed many, you can change many things in the course of history but in a more or less realistical way and that's what the game is about. It's not about "painting the world your colour", but if you play a mod that allows you to play in this "sandbox" style, you should be very grateful and not complaining about the game that is great, albeit having some flaws as ANY would have, besides you can turn off "historical constraints", play with extended SOI and conquering the world if you want, but it's not what PON is supposed to be. I'm really impressed with your agressive tone here, I've never called you an idiot, but with all due respect, your're behaving exactly like one now.

For me this is enough, do me a favor and don't address me anymore.
"Das Glück hilft dem Kühnen."

German Empire PON 1880 AAR:http://www.ageod-forum.com/showthread.php?35152-German-Empire-not-quite-an-AAR

Q-Kee
Lieutenant

Thu Jun 26, 2014 8:25 am

Man, this is a forum! If you don't want to be adressed, don't post.

But yes, I'll do you the favor and won't adress you anymore after this post, since you do not discuss but recite your opinion again and again, just in a more and more personally offensive way.

Kensai

Thu Jun 26, 2014 9:34 am

Pipe it down, guys, there is no reason to quarrel over a game! This mod is my mess and any way I can help you let me know. Here or in a PM.

Q-Kee, what kind of challenge would please you? I can create a script where everyone allies against Germany... would you like that? Come to think of it, the same happened 70 years earlier with Napoleon. There was a coalition against the French Emperor who tried to dominate Europe. For me: USA-UK-France-Italy-Spain-Russia-Sweden should be against you by now... well, after all this is a game of warfare. If you survive that, you will be the true leader! :D
Care to unify Germany as Austria? Recreate the Holy Roman Empire of the 20th Century:
Großdeutschland Mod
Are you tough enough to impersonate the Shogun and defy the Westerners? Prove it:
Shogun Defiance Mod (completed AAR)

Q-Kee
Lieutenant

Thu Jun 26, 2014 12:20 pm

Kensai, I say it once again - it is NOT a mess and it has nothing to do with you mod, which is great! The problem is that PON is not very suitable for a player who does not have the time to crunch turn after turn. Also, my PC is not the best and the more the game advances, the more the PC performance worsens, also affecting general performance and stability. So I decided to pause and maybe continue later, while for now removing the game from my PC.

If I continue, I would love such an alliance trying to bring me down. You would have to give them some ships though, because none of them has yet built any new ships afaik. Ofc I could also just declare war on all of them, but you are right, it would just be more beautiful if an anti-German alliance developed "slowly" just as the Entente did. If I reinstall the game I will let you know, and should you then have the time and the inclination to do it I will be grateful for this scenario. Surely I will wait for the next patch, if I absolutely have to play in the meantime I will do NCP scenarios with 30 turns or so, this can be done on one of my rare free evenings :)

Return to “PON AARs”