PaRappaSan
Conscript

'Guard' ability

Wed Oct 28, 2015 4:13 am

I've studied the model for the Epirot Agema in the Pyrrhic Victories scenario, and it has *guard* attribute. What I don't see is a Commit the Guard ability, or parameters that would function as such. Is it a hard-coded attribute for certain leader models, or is the *guard* attribute an artifact of the system? Does Commit the Guard trigger in AJE and I just don't know it?

ERISS
AGEod Guard of Honor

Wed Oct 28, 2015 7:08 am

It should be just a flag, and some enemy units have bonus against them (guards on duty are easier prey for some units, and they can take bad civilian habits).
Some guards can be elite proffesionals (praetorians), others can be hurry levy ((and praetor guards have bonus against those guards lol)).

PaRappaSan
Conscript

Wed Oct 28, 2015 7:28 am

Yes, I see that in AJE at least it's essentially a flavor text and icon on the unit card. Perhaps an Agema Basilikon type guard squadron for the Hellenistic kings such as the Pontics and Epirotes would mechanically simply be high-TQ cavalry. In fact without touching his units, I edited Pyrrhus Genius to give him Eagle Eye and Surpriser2, and he crushed multi-legion Dictator armies easily.

ERISS
AGEod Guard of Honor

Wed Oct 28, 2015 4:13 pm

Oh, could Guard have a use, intead of only drawbacks?:
Could they take a hit in battle instead of a general to die?..

PaRappaSan
Conscript

Thu Oct 29, 2015 1:47 am

Yes, indeed. I wonder, is there an ability parameter or other means of triggering Commit the Guard that exists in the AJE engine? It would allow us to designate for example, in the Pyrrhic Victories scenario:
- hetairoi are what are currently Epirote cavalry, with *charge* attribute [instead of *screener*]
- hippotoxotai remain Epirote light cavalry, with the *screener* attribute [why currently are they *disrupt*, it makes no sense to me]
- agema basilikoi would be the hetairoi, launched alongside Pyrrhus when the battle is close-fought as the masse de rupture with the *charge* ability and *guard*
- i do not see why the elephantarchos would not have the *disrupt* ability...

Bohémond

Thu Oct 29, 2015 2:30 am

You can define a Guard Ability not being flavor but related to abiCommitunits Ability kind.

Not sure it will work but it can be done.

Send me a PM if you any additional information

Regards
Marco, perché vai così forte in salita?» «Per abbreviare la mia agonia.

PaRappaSan
Conscript

Thu Oct 29, 2015 2:53 am

I see the ability on the XLS now. Thank you!

Return to “AJE Mods”