wijse

Modding Questions

Thu Sep 20, 2012 7:47 pm

I have a couple of modding questions.

What files or text decides what unit graphics are used in a scenario?

Also what does the number at the end of the same unit graphic name decide?

mdl_ROM_Mid_Empire_Legion1
mdl_ROM_Mid_Empire_Legion2
mdl_ROM_Mid_Empire_Legion3
mdl_ROM_Mid_Empire_Legion4

?

I have been thinking of doing some unit graphic modding for AJE and then after that take up my RUS and PON unit graphic mods and finish them.
Also known as wis on the paradox forums.

Leibst

Thu Sep 20, 2012 8:02 pm

In the script file of the scenary you can see what units create and where.
with the unit in the units folder in the gamadata folder you can see what elements (models) compone the unit.
And finally, in the models folder you can find that models of the unit you are looking and there you see the png file(the graphic) that appears in the game.
Headquarter game designer of Battles For Spain, Ageod English Civil War, España:1936 and Thirty Years War
HQ website

Hobbes

Thu Sep 20, 2012 8:12 pm

Hi wijse, the /GameData/Models directory files contain the link to the graphic to be used for a particular unit model.

Example:
Portrait = unit_ITL_GenericLeader0.png

This particular graphic can be found in the /Graphics/Units/LandUnits directory.

/Graphics/Portaits/LandUnits and Graphics/Armies&Fleets/LandUnits directories contain the same graphic at a different size
for other displays.

I don't know why there are identical graphics with different numbers - I assume it is so extra graphics can be added to the game at a later date either officially or through modding - but I am just guessing. The game DB should be available soon hopefully and this will make it easier to see what units are used in the script file for each scenario. The scenario script files link to unit files that link to a model which links to a graphic.

Cheers,
Chris

wijse

Thu Sep 20, 2012 8:24 pm

I know where all the graphics are located, but thanks anyway. But i have always just replaced my own graphics with already existing ones, because i had no idea how to implement them into the scenario. Which is why i just sent the stuff i made to Philthib and then he sorted it out ( I made a lot of danish unit graphics for PON).

Lets say i create a new roman cavalry graphic unit, because currently there is only one. Early imperial brass coolus helmet and oval shield with early lorica hamata.

this one

and no graphic evolutions of the different roman cavalry armor, shields and helmets like there is with the early, mid and mid-late roman legionary graphics.

Would i have to edit some kind of text in a scn file?

PhilThib

Thu Sep 20, 2012 8:26 pm

Send me the new graphics, and I'll tell you how to implement them...if they are nice they can even become official :cool:

wijse

Thu Sep 20, 2012 8:28 pm

PhilThib wrote:Send me the new graphics, and I'll tell you how to implement them...if they are nice they can even become official :cool:

If you liked the stuff i made for PON, then surely you will like some of the stuff i have been thinking of making.

PhilThib

Thu Sep 20, 2012 8:30 pm

wijse wrote:If you liked the stuff i made for PON, then surely you will like some of the stuff i have been thinking of making.

Be my guest !! :thumbsup: :love:

Hobbes

Thu Sep 20, 2012 8:38 pm

Hobbes wrote:Hi wijse, the /GameData/Models directory files contain the link to the graphic to be used for a particular unit model.

Example:
Portrait = unit_ITL_GenericLeader0.png

This particular graphic can be found in the /Graphics/Units/LandUnits directory.

/Graphics/Portaits/LandUnits and Graphics/Armies&Fleets/LandUnits directories contain the same graphic at a different size
for other displays.

I don't know why there are identical graphics with different numbers - I assume it is so extra graphics can be added to the game at a later date either officially or through modding - but I am just guessing. The game DB should be available soon hopefully and this will make it easier to see what units are used in the script file for each scenario. The scenario script files link to unit files that link to a model which links to a graphic.

Cheers,
Chris

P.S. in most cases the unit to model is a 1 to 1 relationship but some units have several different models (each element of a unit could have a different model).
If you want to change the graphics used for a scenario you really have to start getting into modding the scenario files at DB spreadsheet level so if you just want to create some nice graphics without getting into all that it is probably best just to send them to the powers that be or to a grateful modder :)

Cheers,
Chris

anibal barca
Lieutenant

Thu Sep 20, 2012 9:36 pm

i love the historical visual aspects of most units,but there are some units that have historical errors visually,for example the helmets of the republican roman auxiliary or a unit of pontus kingdom having uniform Carthaginian,is possible to fix these glitches historical visual appearance of some units in some future patch?,thanks.

wijse

Thu Sep 20, 2012 9:46 pm

Ain't no point messing around with CAR units as long as there aren't any Punic war scenarios.

PANGI

Fri Sep 21, 2012 7:25 am

there is actually republican cavalry which wasnt used in any scenario

The attachment mdl_ROM_Cav0.png is no longer available

and to the queastions: some of the graphics are missplaced for various reason but mainly if something was missing and icon was needed.
Attachments
mdl_ROM_Cav0.png
ImageImage

PhilThib

Fri Sep 21, 2012 8:28 am

Modders are free to provide their own productions, as long as this is the same level of quality as Pangi's work :D

Pocus

Fri Sep 21, 2012 10:14 am

Be sure to not infringe on copyright also.

Hofstadter's Law: "It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's law."

Florent

Fri Sep 21, 2012 10:41 am

" there is actually republican cavalry which wasnt used in any scenario "

I think it will be used for early Republic Samnite wars, Pyrrhus, Punic wars.

Return to “AJE Mods”