arsan

Sat May 02, 2015 10:53 am

Hi!

I don't have much experience playing CAR on HAN, so i don't know first hand if the gallic remplacements events are enough or not. I guess it depends of how bloddy are the battles fough in each game...

But the other day i loaded the files Dortumund posted here
http://www.ageod-forum.com/showthread.php?39380-Game-not-recognizing-orders

of another PBEM game of his and noticed that the CAR gauls were nearly non existant on that game after heavy fighting with the romans because of the lack of reemplacements.
Hannibal was still trapped on Cisalpine gaul, but his army was nearly fully made of africans and hispanic troops, which could recover losses while the local gauls couldn't.

In any case, IMHO and don't think there is much historic reasons for making CAR gauls reemplacements be just "by event" volunteers while CAR can normally buy reempalcements for his hispanic allied tribes or, latter on, for their italian allies. Specially when SPQ can normally recruit replacement for his allied galic tribes.

Regarding the free replacements events, is there an easy way of desactivating them now we can buy gallic remplacements? I guess having both free by event and normal remplacements may be too much advantage for Hannibal...

Regards!

Franciscus

Sun May 03, 2015 12:56 pm

arsan wrote:Hi!

Regarding the free replacements events, is there an easy way of desactivating them now we can buy gallic remplacements? I guess having both free by event and normal remplacements may be too much advantage for Hannibal...

Regards!

Hi

If you want to deactivate the "free" CEL replacements, just delete (or inactivate: //) the following event: evt_nam_CAR_CEL_Replacements, located in VariousEvents_SPW219.sct

Of course, this is modding, we are talking about.

Feedback appreciated, but no decision has been made yet if the changes discussed here will be made official.
Specially, some testing must be made on BOR

Regards
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

arsan

Sun May 03, 2015 10:02 pm

Thanks for the explanation, Franciscus!
I will propose my PBEM partner to inactivate the event with "//".
I just have to put those "//" at the begining of the event, right?

Regards!

Franciscus

Sun May 03, 2015 11:33 pm

arsan wrote:Thanks for the explanation, Franciscus!
I will propose my PBEM partner to inactivate the event with "//".
I just have to put those "//" at the begining of the event, right?

Regards!

Hi

In reality, the event to be modded (evt_nam_CAR_CEL_Replacements), is located in VariousEvents_SPW219.sct: this file is located in the Events subfolder of the game. Sorry for the mistake (already corrected in the above post)

To deactivate the event, you either delete ALL the lines relevant to this event or you manually insert the "//" before each of these lines (at least that's my understanding, and I checked and it works OK. I never do this myself though, as I am used to work only on the source xls DB files)

So, to deactivate the event, it would look like this:

// SelectFaction = CAR
// SelectRegion = $Taurasia
// StartEvent = evt_nam_CAR_CEL_Replacements|999|2|evt_txt_CAR_CEL_Replacements|Event-Img_Mercenary03|$Taurasia|NULL

// Conditions
// MinDate = -219/03/01
// TurnIndex = 3
// SelectSubUnits = Area $Theater_Italia;FactionTags CAR;Models $ldr_CAR_HannibalB3
// EvalSubUnitCount = >=;1

// Actions
// Replacement = CEL;$famLine;2
// Replacement = CEL;$famSkirmisher;2
// Replacement = CEL;$famMilitia;2

// EndEvent

The most elegant way is to make a backup copy of this sct file and delete all the above lines.

Please note:

- This sct file is used in all SPW scenarios.
- The modding must be done in both PBEM player's games, otherwise unforseen problems may arise.
- Take care to be sure what is the base game you are using to play your scenario (AJE, HAN), as that is where the modding should be done

Regards
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

arsan

Mon May 04, 2015 11:17 pm

Thanks for the explanation, Franciscus! :thumbsup:

Dortmund
Colonel

Tue May 05, 2015 12:47 am

Thanks! We'll tell you later about these changes.

Cardinal Ape
General of the Army

Thu May 07, 2015 10:12 pm

Hi.

I recently bought Hannibal - I don't own any other AJE game. I find it rather odd that Carthage can not buy the Gallic replacements in the second punic war. If I understand correctly the reason Carthage can't is because of a file conflict with other games? As I may be the only person that bought only Hannibal I've gotta say it seems weird that my strategic options are limited by other games I don't own.

Thanks for the fix.

If the issue is with a file conflict maybe one could turn the buying of replacements into a diplomatic option or an RGD? Something that could automatically trigger the Gallic replacement event upon purchase, perhaps?

If having both methods is deemed too powerful I would prefer to have the ability to buy them at my own discretion.

arsan

Tue May 12, 2015 8:08 pm

Hi!
Just a little report to let you know that the posted file seems to work ok! :thumbsup:
Carthage can now train galic and greek mercenary reinforcements and the damaged galic units are recovering hits and full missing elements as they should.
Besides it works perfectly on already started games! We are testing the file on two ongoing PBEM with SPW 219 scenario
For possible balance issues is too soon to give any opinion...

Regards!

Franciscus

Tue May 12, 2015 9:12 pm

Thanks

In my own testing of BOR the changes seem to also not affect too much the balance, but as other interesting changes are in the works for a future patch, we have time to be sure

Regards
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Dortmund
Colonel

Wed Jul 08, 2015 4:45 pm

In our game the balance of power is not affected by the new gallic and mercenary reinforcements. We are more or less equal in terms of infantry and the roman fleet remains more powerful than the cartaginian one despite the new arised units.

Incredible game experience! Thanks, Franciscus! :thumbsup:

However I noticed that you can't repair the Syracusean fleet (I don't remember if they were the light or the heavy ships). :(

Dortmund
Colonel

Wed Jul 29, 2015 1:52 pm

However I noticed that you can't repair the Syracusean fleet (I don't remember if they were the light or the heavy ships).

The same occurs with the Tarentum greek fleet (Carthage side). The faction GGR doesn't appears in the F2 screen.

ifailmore
Sergeant

Fri Jul 31, 2015 11:16 am

how do i check the error posted above?

Franciscus

Sat Aug 01, 2015 12:22 am

Hi

There is no real error, just a small detail.

In the next patch (and I think that with this small fix posted here), Carthage player will indeed be able to "buy" some SYR (Syracuse) replacements, IF needed.

But in fact IF Tarentum switches sides for Carthage (via an option that becomes available for the CAR player), there will be indeed no replacements for her ships...

Note that this is not necessarily an error, much less a bug. In terms of history, one can perhaps consider (or rationalise) that having switched sides and being at war with the roman legions, even perhaps besieged, Tarentum would not have the resources to replace fleets. In terms of gameplay, though, we are talking about balance, and this, of course, is debatable. Anyhow, that was the original intention of the scenario designer, AFAIK.

There is a patch in the works, maybe for a September release, and in that patch this will not be changed, in principle. This is easily modable, though, for anyone interested...

Regards
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

ifailmore
Sergeant

Sat Aug 01, 2015 2:18 am

september @.@ is there any beta soon

Franciscus

Sat Aug 01, 2015 1:37 pm

ifailmore wrote:september @.@ is there any beta soon

There is a "private" beta patch, but due to technical issues it is likely that this time there will be no public beta, sorry
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

ReneTS
Corporal

Sun Aug 09, 2015 10:13 pm

Is this patch just for Hannibal: Terror of Rome, or also for the main game and other expansions?

Franciscus

Sun Aug 09, 2015 11:01 pm

A patch for all games/expansions is indeed in the works

Regards
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Return to “Help to improve AJE”