Chief Rudiger
Sergeant

Unit Naming

Thu Nov 01, 2012 8:33 pm

I notice in this game new user built units are named in the format n.'unit type', such as "1. Phalanx", rather than "1st Phalanx". This reminds me of the 'bug' in WiA where, particularly as the French, you would could build a ridiculously big army by training your 3-4 free militia to provincials and then getting free new militia unit every spring to 'replace' them - ad absurdum. This was gamey, and because your units would soon take all available scripted names the AI would simply call them "7. Militia". It kind of spoiled the immersion factor.

On the British side it wasn't as bad as there seemed to be a much longer list of possible names; i think you could have 8 Massachecetts Regiments before the naming format changed. I especially liked the 9 New York provincial units being named "II Battalion, 1st New York Provincials", "I Battalion, 3st New York Provincials" etc.

Could the format of unit names be changed, simple to "1st", "2nd", "3rd" etc, or maybe using Roman numerals - so its not language specific - like how many of the starting units are named? Alternatively, to add flavour, the units might be named both sequentially AND after the city or region they were recruited in?

Better still, might the user be permitted to modify the names of units, not just the names of stacks?

yellow ribbon

Thu Nov 01, 2012 9:06 pm

Chief Rudiger wrote:
Could the format of unit names be changed, simple to "1st", "2nd", "3rd" etc, or maybe using Roman numerals - so its not language specific - like how many of the starting units are named? Alternatively, to add flavour, the units might be named both sequentially AND after the city or region they were recruited in?

Better still, might the user be permitted to modify the names of units, not just the names of stacks?

most Roman units do it similar as you describe, you can easily create it for non-romans if you have the time ;)

GameData/Units and add i.e.

[color="#FF0000"]CustomNames = Auxillia I (Sic)|Auxillia II (Sic)|Auxillia III (Sic)|Auxillia IV (Sic)|Auxillia V (Sic)[/color]

to the factions units files. i think its more practical than in-game textfields. the regions/cities are not defined but the Theater of War, Gallia, Africa etc, means the approach is given but not consequently followed for non-romans, nor historically correct
...not paid by AGEOD.
however, prone to throw them into disarray.

PS:

‘Everything is very simple in War, but the simplest thing is difficult. These difficulties accumulate and produce a friction which no man can imagine exactly who has not seen War . . . in War, through the influence of an infinity of petty circumstances, which cannot properly be described on paper, things disappoint us, and we fall short of the mark.‘

Clausewitz

Return to “Help to improve AJE”