Philippe
AGEod Veteran

Graphics glitch in UI

Fri Feb 01, 2013 11:53 pm

Just noticed the following that appears to be a graphics glitch:

This happens with the 1.02 patch whenever you click on the social options orator statue.

It doesn't seem to be a real graphics problem. Both eagles are fully functional and change color individually when you pass the cursor over them.

The reverse situation doesn't happen (i.e., if you click on the mobilization eagle you don't get two orator statues).

If you look at the upper eagle you'll notice a piece of the cornice has been duplicated with it. What seems to be happening is that the entire eagle graphics texture (which include a piece of the cornice) is getting invoked twice. My take on this is that it is a graphic manifestation of a programming glitch, and shows up in every scenario that I have looked at. Or to put it another way, there seems to be an echo in the code.

Information about my system is available upon request if you can't reduplicate this.

Franciscus

Sat Feb 02, 2013 1:01 am

Known problem in some systems - it has to do with low screen resolutions, IIRC (what is your screen resolution ?

Regards

Philippe
AGEod Veteran

Sat Feb 02, 2013 9:52 pm

1152 x 864. Not really eager to mess with it because I have fading eyesight and way too many items on my desktop (changing the resolution scrambles them around). I have a vague recollection that there's a way to set the game resolution to something other than what's on the desktop, but that won't do much for the fading eyesight problem.

I find it odd that something that radical-looking could be the result of screen resolution, especially when it only happens with social option commands and not military option commands.

Philippe
AGEod Veteran

Sun Feb 03, 2013 1:21 am

I tried the configuration tool (which I'm not completely convinced was working) on several different combinations of settings, and then, just to be sure, I threw caution to the winds and reset my screen resolution to 1280x1024.

The duplicate eagle bug is alive and well and nothing seems to make it go away.

I'm running Windows XP SP3. I'd be curious to hear what configurations don't suffer from it.

Hobbes

Sun Feb 03, 2013 1:18 pm

Philippe wrote:I tried the configuration tool (which I'm not completely convinced was working) on several different combinations of settings, and then, just to be sure, I threw caution to the winds and reset my screen resolution to 1280x1024.

I'm running Windows XP SP3. I'd be curious to hear what configurations don't suffer from it.

Hi Philippe, I have reported the same problem for months and have not had any luck with different resolutions - in fact I had some other odd effects when I tried higher (but that was some time ago).

Ebbingford

Sun Feb 03, 2013 1:41 pm

Philippe wrote:I tried the configuration tool (which I'm not completely convinced was working) on several different combinations of settings, and then, just to be sure, I threw caution to the winds and reset my screen resolution to 1280x1024.

I run xp sp3 with resolution of 1680x1050 and have no problems with glitches.
"Umbrellas will not be opened in the presence of the enemy." Duke of Wellington before the Battle of Waterloo, 1815.

"Top hats will not be worn in the Eighth Army" Field-Marshal Viscount Montgomery of Alamein K.G.

Philippe
AGEod Veteran

Sun Feb 03, 2013 5:09 pm

Hi Hobbes!

This is a bit discouraging, though it's hardly the end of the world. Just for the heck of it I updated my NVIDIA drivers so I can now play games that I would never even dream of wanting to play. But no effect on the duplicate eagle.

I guess the next question that needs to be answered is whether there is anyone out there using a resolution of 1280x1024 or 1152x864 who is not getting duplicate eagles.

And what does Pocus say about this?

Pocus

Mon Feb 04, 2013 10:27 am

I say that:

[ATTACH]21503[/ATTACH]

Uncompress in your AJE\Frontend folder (or the BOR\Frontend folder)
Attachments
SocialWin.zip
(3.52 KiB) Downloaded 202 times

Hofstadter's Law: "It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's law."

Narwhal

Mon Feb 04, 2013 10:52 am

Speaking of glitches, is it normal is the Hellespont is called "Hellesont" on the map ?

PhilThib

Mon Feb 04, 2013 11:05 am

Typo in the graphic file. Will be corrected only if the map graphics is redone, which is a huge job...

Philippe
AGEod Veteran

Mon Feb 04, 2013 3:05 pm

Pocus is without question my favorite squirrel (and I used to read Spirou when I was a kid).

I am pleased to report that the duplicate eagle is now gone. Many thanks!

I could correct the typo in Hellespont (and several other little text glitches on the map) fairly easily if I had a set of the working files of the map before any text was layered onto them.

I will admit that the first thing I did when I bought the game was to see if I could correct the Thessalia/Boeotia problem on my own. Without the original clean files the result is barely adequate and very labor-intensive. With the files it is still somewhat labor-intensive, but fairly easy to produce a satisfactory result. I'm currently up to my eyeballs in a modding project on John Tiller's Napoleonic games, but I should have some free time after the snow melts.

Hobbes

Mon Feb 04, 2013 9:00 pm

This has worked for me for AJE but not for BoR. Now we just need Philippe's Hellespont change and the obssesives can rest :D

Cheers,
Chris
P.S. I do not have a BOR\Frontend folder. BOR has both and AJE folder which has a Graphics/Frontend folder and a BOR folder which does not have a graphics folder.
Is this correct? I also notice my BOR top level folder has both an AJE.exe and a BOR.exe - is my setup correct (maybe some oddities due to a beta setup)?

Franciscus

Mon Feb 04, 2013 9:35 pm

Hobbes wrote:This has worked for me for AJE but not for BoR. Now we just need Philippe's Hellespont change and the obssesives can rest :D

Cheers,
Chris
P.S. I do not have a BOR\Frontend folder. BOR has both and AJE folder which has a Graphics/Frontend folder and a BOR folder which does not have a graphics folder.
Is this correct? I also notice my BOR top level folder has both an AJE.exe and a BOR.exe - is my setup correct (maybe some oddities due to a beta setup)?

Your setup is definitely not correct, hobbes. You must have installed one on top of the other. Better make a clean separate install of AJe and BOR each.

Regards

Hobbes

Mon Feb 04, 2013 11:06 pm

Thanks Franciscus. I made a fresh AJE install and the fix doesn't work. Very odd as I have two identical AJE installs now and in one the fix works and in the other it doesn't! :confused: Maybe some annoying W7 glitch.

vonBredow
Sergeant

Tue Feb 05, 2013 3:23 pm

1440x900 resolution, Win XP SP3, AEJ and BOR both installed. I'll try the quick fix tonight and see if it works for me.

... and to be fair, I've always thought that was a white pigeon, not an eagle. :blink:

ERISS
AGEod Guard of Honor

Tue Feb 05, 2013 3:55 pm

vonBredow wrote:... and to be fair, I've always thought that was a white pigeon, not an eagle. :blink:

Yes it can!:
I was recently attacked by a terrorist pigeon using chemical weapon (it succeeded :cuit :) (white pigeon is not peacefull).

Return to “Help to improve AJE”