rwenstrup
Sergeant

PBEM procedure

Thu May 11, 2017 11:19 pm

Could someone explain to me in detail how to play the PBEM file transfers?

Do you have to have AI activated?

Can you play Steam version against PC version ... or is it easier to play both PC version?

Must all options being used be the same ... or doesn't that matter?

Please provide a line by line instruction for what each of the two players are supposed to do ...

Sorry for the request .... but I find the instructions unclear ... and have made multiple unsuccessful attempts to get a game going ...

Thanks in advance for taking the time to help me!

arsan

Re: PBEM procedure

Fri May 12, 2017 8:55 am

Hi!

Leave AI on so it can manage non playable factions (pirates, rebels, slaves in revolt and the like).

Both players should have the same patch applied, but I don't think it matters if one is steam version and the other isn't.

Regarding options: the game will be played with the hosting player settings. The other player settings don't matter and can be different.
But the hosting player current settings will apply on each turn he host, so if he changes his settings midgame the PBEM game will change rules on the fly.

I strongly suggest using Dropbox for PBEM instead of email, as its much more convenient.
Just share a Dropbox folder with the other player and both of you can copy and paste the needed files every turn.

The step by step procedure is explained on the Manual better than I could explain.
Just follow it closely for the first turn or two. Then you will see it's pretty easy !

Regards

rwenstrup
Sergeant

Fri May 12, 2017 5:09 pm

Arsan,

Thank you very much for your help ... Love these games, and this is my first attempt at a PBEM game ...

arsan

Fri May 12, 2017 6:35 pm

I'm sure you will love them still more playing PBEM.
It makes things much more interesting when you play a human! :dada:

Durk

Sat May 13, 2017 3:22 am

One twist I have learned with pbem is to do joint hosting. It speeds up play, but mostly the benefit is both players host every other turn as then you get to see every other turn run.

To do this, one player starts the game and plays the first turn. Saves and sends all files.
Then the next player makes the moves and executes the turn. Then, make the next move, saves and sends files.
From then on, each player makes a move, executes the turn and make a new move.

I think it is much better than a single host for two and three player games. With four or more, a single host works best.

rwenstrup
Sergeant

Tue Sep 05, 2017 10:49 pm

I have to say that I am very disappointed with the complex, buggy, PBEM procedure. I have tried every suggestion, every method provided and have yet to get a game to work past a couple of turns.

This is a major failure by AGEOD and it has had a strong impact on my impression about the company.

Durk

Wed Sep 06, 2017 3:03 am

rwenstrup - I seriously disagree with your conclusion. pbem with AGEOD games is quite simple and easy to manage. I suggest this. I have pm you with an invitation to play. You and I can play a few turns and this might solve what issues you are experiencing.

I have played AGEOD games via pbem for a very long time and each turn is easy to manage. Let us see if we together can troubleshoot the issues you face.

Return to “AJE Technical support / Aide technique”