Vycem
Civilian

PBEM Issue/Potential Noobness

Wed Aug 17, 2016 12:20 pm

Hello Everyone,

Alae Jacta Est is my first AGEOD game so I fully acknowledge the issue I'm having may be due to my misunderstanding the manual, but basically a friend and I are trying to play via PBEM and we can't get it to work.

The first time around I had disabled the AI and it took several turns to realize his orders weren't working at all. The second time around it seems he plays his orders but when he gets his next turn the AI seems to have kicked in and played his turn for him.

We're trying the Spartacus campaign. I'm the host and I'm playing the slave turn. Our steps:

-I start the game and create a save game folder with our initials
- Ichoose slaves, give my orders
-I hit save, exit, copy the ROM .TRN file and email it to my friend
-He loads the file, gives his order, saves
-He emails me back his ROM .ORD file
-I put it in the same folder as all my other saves for that game
-I load the SLV side
-I hit the next turn button
-Repeat

At first I had AI disabled and after a few turns he reported that none of his orders were actually taking place, so I hit to re-enable the AI and then when I got to the step to hit next turn I got the warming: "Not all of the non-AI players have submitted their turn. Revert to AI?" Even though I confirmed there was a .ORD file in the same folder as my .ORD file!

Then we restarted with AI on and the AI plays his turn. What are we doing wrong? Any help would be GREATLY appreciated, thank you.

Recognition
Private

Wed Aug 17, 2016 1:36 pm

You should only send the .hst file zipped to your friend, then he loads it to the saves folder, then enters and loads game choosing his side, runs the turn then does his move and saves. Then he send his ROM.ORD file zipped back to you...Then you run the turn, then your move and so on.

Hope this makes sense.

Durk

Thu Aug 18, 2016 3:39 am

In a bit of disagreement with Recognition, it sounds like you are doing the correct procedure but it is not actually working.

What I suggest is to try joint hosting as this is so much simpler and dynamic in play.

For turn one: player one makes the move and saves and sends all file in a zip or rar file to the opponent.

The opponent creates a folder in the save folder for AJE and places all file there. Then makes the move, saves, and runs the turn. Next the player makes his next move and saves, but does not run the turn. All files are zipped or rarred and sent to player one.

Player one loads all files into the game folder and makes the faction's moves, runs the turn and makes a new move.

See if this makes sense. EAsiest way to do pbem in AJE.

Vycem
Civilian

Thu Aug 25, 2016 12:11 am

Thanks everyone, I finally figured out the problem sort of. We both have the version off of steam, but for some reason, his version writes out his files as -<name of faction> whereas mine saves as ~<name of faction>

I have no idea why my copy saves wit a tilde and his with a dash, but basically I get his files and just rename them with the tilde and they work. Kind of tedious though. Anyone else ever see this?

Cardinal Ape
General of the Army

Thu Aug 25, 2016 12:31 am

The tilde being turned into a dash is most likely the result of the mailing process, not the game. You could avoid the renaming issue by sending the files with winzip or rar or 7z.

Return to “AJE Technical support / Aide technique”