Harleyfrank
Conscript

All my AGEOD games crash with same issue:

Sun Jan 31, 2016 3:13 pm

Please see error below. I can't seem to attach anything to the post. I am getting this error on all the Alea and the other AGEOD games. Happens at random times during the game. I have upgraded them all manually to the latest versions as the auto update doesn't seem to work either.

I also get the same issue when I run them on steam (Alea, RUS, Espana and CWII)

I am running the games on an HP laptop running Windows 10. Compatibility mode set to Windows 7 and Set to run as administrator.

I have noticed on the splash screen, when the game starts, if thinks the op system is Windows 7, even before I set it to compatibility mode.

Error Message is:

DirectX Renderer Invalid call (Burst Mode) []
Would you like to terminate the application?

Only option is "Yes" and on pressing that the game ends immediately.

Can you please advise?

Thanks

Frank

Franciscus

Sun Jan 31, 2016 8:07 pm

Hi

As you rightly say, this issue is not specific of AJE, it is a rare issue that plagues more or less all Ageod games for some users and configurations, and that has never been solved, AFAIK.
I myself get it, very rarely.

My empirical advices are:

- first and foremost make sure you have directx 9.0c. If you have a new windows 10 PC, you may not have directx 9.0c, and the directx 10/11 compatibility with version 9.0c is not perfect. Head to microsoft (https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=8109) and install directx 9.0c, it has absolutely zero deleterious effects.

- then in-game there are certain settings that may help: In Options > System, try to turn off display borders and/or decrease memory usage to 25 or 50%. If it does not work, reduce Max Texture Size.

- screen savers running behind the game may also cause problems, try to disable them

Regards
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

ERISS
AGEod Guard of Honor

Sun Jan 31, 2016 8:43 pm

Harleyfrank wrote: error on all the Alea and the other AGEOD games. Happens at random times during the game (Alea, RUS, Espana and CWII)
running Windows 10. Compatibility mode set to Windows7 and set to Run as administrator

For more compatibility, try to even set it to Windows XP sp3.

Pocus

Mon Feb 01, 2016 10:07 am

See also with the Helpdesk, they got a new technique recently which is about making the engine more compatible with recent computers: support@slitherine.co.uk

Hofstadter's Law: "It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's law."

Taillebois
General of the Army

Re: All my AGEOD games crash with same issue:

Fri Oct 28, 2016 12:35 pm

I've been getting this Burst error on a new but low spec machine. It seems to happen when the PC goes to sleep if I leave it untouched for a long enough time for it to switch off the screen.

I'll try some of the suggestions and report back.

Taillebois
General of the Army

Sat Oct 29, 2016 2:05 pm

Well I tried lots of different PCs and laptops and the games seem to stay on fine except for my new Acer Revo mini desktop in which if nothing happens for 15 mins the computer goes to sleep and on waking the AGEOD games get the burst render CTD. The sleep setting are the same as on other PCs - so yes it remains a mystery bug for AGEOD games - I tried several other - Pike & Shot; Darkest Hour - and they woke from sleep Ok.

A mystery but at least I can play aware of this issue or on another machine.

Durk

Sun Oct 30, 2016 2:48 am

I just turn off the sleep function on my computer making it always active. You must then physically shut down your machine, but this means you can walkaway and all still works fine.

Return to “AJE Technical support / Aide technique”