Kosigan
Private

PBEM Password Crash

Sun Jan 27, 2013 2:55 am

Hi, I'm attempting to play the Y4E Scenario, and I set a password under the Turn Compression option. I'm playing with one other Human opponent. Once I loaded in his ORD file, I ran the next turn, but the game asks me for a password before it will load the master file. This password does not correspond to the password I entered into the options menu, and the game eventually crashes because I can't enter a correct password. I attached an example screenshot and the !main log.txt file the crash dump posted to...
Attachments

[The extension txt has been deactivated and can no longer be displayed.]

End Turn Password Screen.jpg

pantsukki
Brigadier General

Tue Mar 12, 2013 1:15 pm

I'm suffering from the same problem, except I started a new PBEM game with the compression option, setting a password, and then proceeded to continue my SP game. But once I handed out orders and hit continue game, it asks me for a password, and after a few tries the game CTD's. I tried unchecking the compression, but it still asks for a password when trying to proceed with the SP save.

wryun
Sergeant

Tue Mar 12, 2013 8:34 pm

Hmm, I was playing around with password and set a password in my options. I'll resend my turn and see if you can process now.

EDIT: ok, when I try to load without the password set, the game crashes...

EDIT 2: ok, it apparently _deleted_ my ord file before it crashed. When I was playing around, I clicked 'AI nations' twice, and it came back with 'Ethnics definitions' as a save file and crashed (when I did this on the second page of saves). And told me to report to Paradox!

map66
Conscript

Mon Apr 06, 2015 11:59 pm

Has there ever been a resolution to this problem? I am getting the same crash with a blank password box under 1.04, for any game I try and execute with compression and password on. Obviously it would be highly desirable to have these options functional for PBEM.

I've attached the log and save files for a game against the AI with this crash, if it's helpful.

I'm using Windows 7 64 bit.
Attachments
3-CaesarPompey500.rar
(335.01 KiB) Downloaded 162 times
Logs.rar
(62.17 KiB) Downloaded 173 times

Pocus

Thu Apr 09, 2015 9:01 am

The turns are already compressed, if you try opening one, a dialog appears asking you for the password (this is what I got). If you don't provide it, it won't work. I can't go further that sorry.

Hofstadter's Law: "It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's law."

map66
Conscript

Thu Apr 09, 2015 4:47 pm

Sorry, I can PM you my password if you want it. But the game hard crashes as soon as the password box pops up on my computer, as shown in the log files. So there is no opportunity to ever enter it.

Perhaps I'm missing an obvious step in setting up a PBEM game with passwords activated, but the above posts indicating other user's with the same problem (as well as other threads scattered about the forums), indicated at least to me that it is a wider problem, perhaps tied to certain OS's or something.

Pocus

Fri Apr 10, 2015 8:29 am

As there is no patch incoming before some time on the game, the fastest workaround would be to play without password. Don't you trust the host? If not, then you can use a third person as host and all players are non host, this is the safest and best way anyway, because even with password, nothing prevents a host from cheating by executing the turn, see what you have done and then redoing his turn, so password is in fact almost useless and this is why we abandoned it since CW2.

Hofstadter's Law: "It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's law."

map66
Conscript

Sat Apr 11, 2015 6:40 pm

I certainly trust my opponent, and agree that cheating is possible no matter how you do it. But the reason I think having a password option is a big plus is that it is extremely easy to accidentally click on your opponent's turn from the load menu--- the font is so tiny and the save file names rather long and similar looking. As an example, in my current game I've managed to mistakenly do so twice over a 12 turn or so game. Of course I managed to get out of the wrong turn quickly, but still a working password option would prevent these kinds of honest mistakes, even if they would do absolutely nothing for someone who was determined to cheat.

Return to “AJE Technical support / Aide technique”