AstroCat
Civilian

Music clicks and pops

Wed Oct 03, 2012 11:35 pm

The .mp3 files of your music have clicks and pops in them. I can play them from multiple playback systems and they have pops and clicks in the same places, meaning they are in the files.

Can I please get a "clean" set of the music .mp3 files? This affects any music file, not just the ambiance ones, whoever bounced them out had a problem, and they need to be re-compressed.

Thanks!

JacquesDeLalaingII
Civilian

Sun Oct 07, 2012 5:55 pm

Yes, I have the same experience. My music files are kind of choppy. I thought it might have to do with the CTDs that I'm having, but it seems as if I'm not the only one. For me personally it isn't a big deal though. I prefer listening to "synaulia" to immerse me. ;)

AstroCat
Civilian

Mon Oct 08, 2012 3:48 pm

Yeah they are 100% errors in the files, I've verified it for sure. As an audio pro. the clicks and pops drive me crazy! So, no music for me, at least not the in-game soundtrack, maybe they could re-bounce the files again and put them up for download, I'd like to check them out when they are clean.

Pocus

Wed Oct 10, 2012 8:51 am

We don't have an in house audio artist for that, so don't hold your breath... there might be some delay before we are able to clean up audio files (understatement, but you got it).

Hofstadter's Law: "It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's law."

BigDuke66
General

Sun Dec 16, 2012 12:39 am

I "tried to try" the demo today but already when hearing the main theme I almost puked, after getting into the game it got even worse, all the ambiance music tracks are not usable, beside the fact the it really didn't benefit the quality converting them with some free crap tool from WMA to MP3 and using such a silly low bitrate(128??? the '90 are over its 2012 so use V0 or at least 320 CBR for god sake!), those "clicks and pops" are insult to everyone even to one-ear van Gogh.

The music was alway an important part of creating the correct feeling, I copied all the music from my AGEOD games so I can listen to them from time to time but these tracks are simply a torment.
If you paid anyone giving you this crap you should sue him.
Don't get me wrong they "can" create the right feeling as there composition is good, especially AJE_Ambiance_06 captures ROME really good, but the way the are served is similar to serving a 4 star meal on the tab of a garbage can.

If you can correct that I'm happy to give you my money but the way it is now I wouldn't even play it if YOU would pay me.
"Spread word to every slave, that even the mighty republic bleeds when struck!"
Join the Napoleonic Wargame Club
Join the American Civil War Game Club
Join the The Blitz Wargaming Club

Pocus

Sun Dec 16, 2012 9:09 am

Many of them were taken from another game, they perhaps show their age now. I'm not too sure the AJE team will have anyway the budget to find others ones, unless you know some good peplum musics (or whatever the source) that are free of rights?

Hofstadter's Law: "It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's law."

BigDuke66
General

Sun Dec 16, 2012 5:56 pm

As if there is anything free in todays world, at least not in the usual way.

Only thing I could think of is trying to contact people directly(forget the publishers, without money they simply slam the door in your face) that make the appropriate kind of music and make a deal in the way of:
-AJE can use their tracks.
-AJE serves a way of advertising there music, explicit mentioning of the artist, album and track used in the game in the credits, maybe also at the start of AJE and also on the webpage.
Didn't the ACCW tracks also come from some bands that provided the tracks for free?

But your mentioning that they were taken from another game explains why "AJE_Ambiance_06" sounds so familiar.
"Spread word to every slave, that even the mighty republic bleeds when struck!"
Join the Napoleonic Wargame Club
Join the American Civil War Game Club
Join the The Blitz Wargaming Club

FleetingThought
Private

Sun Jan 19, 2014 5:14 pm

Is there any way possible to replace the existing tracks with .mp3s of your own? Any editing of .txt files and such needed to do so, or renaming the .mp3 to the same name as an existing file?

Lares Privati
Private

Sun Jan 19, 2014 6:53 pm

Yes, I did so, using the tracks I recorded in the "Hannibal : Rome and Carthage'' demo. I recorded the tracks I liked with audacity and re-edited them to fit the exact same lenght than the original one (not sure this is necessary though).

Then, I converted them in MP3 and replace theitr name with the original AJE sounds titles. It works perfectly but even if the program seems to chose the tunes randomly some are played more often than others.

Next step, I'll change the sounds cause I can't stand the battle screen sounds.

FleetingThought
Private

Sun Jan 19, 2014 7:45 pm

I'm perfectly fine with everything but the clicks and pops, thanks! Good to know there is a simple solution.

Lares Privati
Private

Wed Jan 22, 2014 1:43 pm

FleetingThought wrote:I'm perfectly fine with everything but the clicks and pops, thanks! Good to know there is a simple solution.

Ah, ok, I totally misunderstood the title.

Just out of curiosity, by "clicks" I suppose u mean the "clic", "double clic" and "BoA_click" mp3, but what do you call "pops" ?

Return to “AJE Technical support / Aide technique”