Philippe
AGEod Veteran

Steam questions

Sat Apr 04, 2015 3:04 pm

I own non-Steam versions of all three AJE games and the add-ons. All three games are currently installed on my computer.

Last night I decided to try to set up as much as I could on Steam because it is a very convenient Storage medium, and a good back-up in case something gets lost.

Matrix games seems to have a record of the fact that I own AJE, so there was no problem going over to Slitherine and generating a Steam code for AJE. (I wish they generated the Steam codes on the same website that they stored information).

What was odd was that I didn't see anything that generated Steam codes for Hannibal or BOR.

What was even odder was that after I installed the Steam version of AJE as a test, when I fired it up I could see Hannibal and BOR scenarios inside.

Am I correct that if I were to remove the non-Steam installations of Hannibal and BOR from my computer, Hannibal and BOR scenarios would no longer show up in my Steam installation because Steam itself doesn't know that I own those games, but the Steam installation detects their presence elsewhere in my computer? When I look inside the Steam installation scenario folder I only see the scenarios that are native to plain vanilla AJE, which is what I would expect to see.

The other thing that is very frustrating is that Slitherine doesn't recognize my serial numbers for Spartacus and the Cantabrian War. I'm assuming that that is because I bought them in pre-Matrix days (and frankly, I don't really remember). Is there any chance of getting my ownership of these games recognized by Matrix so that I can get everything registered at Steam? Steam installation has very little value to me if I can only have part of the games showing up on it.

Finally, from time to time I have seen people appeal for positive votes and press on the Steam site. I would oblige, except that I've never fully understood what you're asking us to do. The only 'thumbs up' indicators that I have ever noticed on the purchase part of the Steam site seems to have to do with whether we agree or disagree with individual reviews. Steam is a very powerful distribution medium, and educating your core of followers into how to promote your games on Steam is the only way you're going to get yourselves on Steam's radar.

Byrd
Lieutenant

Sat Apr 04, 2015 8:53 pm

As far as your Slitherine troubles go, you should contact them directly. Same would go for the Matrix issues.

What's meant by positive votes are positive reviews. If you select a game in your Steam Library, there is a list of links associated with it on the right edge of the window. The bottom one (or one of them) should say "Write a review". And you're right, it is very powerful. A lot of games, at least the big mainstream titles, have to even be activated through steam to be playable at all. They full well know why they are herding people into this giant distribution hub. But then, it's handy isn't it. Like iTunes is for music.

Franciscus

Sat Apr 04, 2015 9:45 pm

Hi

There are not (yet ?) Steam versions of HAN and BOR. The current AJE game engine (Steam and non Steam versions) can recognize your HAN and BOR instalations and you can Play All their scenarios.
If you uninstall HAN or BOR, their scenarios will disappear, though, of course.

Regarding the DLCs, you should contact Slitherine support, I think they should give you Steam keys...

Regards
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Pocus

Tue Apr 07, 2015 9:38 am

Indeed, for the keys, you should contact support@slitherine.co.uk

As for scenarios recognition this is done by the engine itself, not by Steam, each time you launch one of the AJE series game, it register an entry in the registry. This way, all AJE games can check these entries and see if some of their 'buddies' are there on your hard drive :)

Hofstadter's Law: "It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's law."

Return to “AJE Technical support / Aide technique”