Hister
Private

Unit types strategy?

Mon Jun 29, 2020 2:27 pm

How do I utilise different unit types? Which terrain type is good for what units? Do I use cavalry as scouts? What are for example axilia units used for - any special use or just filler for more final combat power? What terrains are suitable for legions?

Any help is of much help. :dada:

Durk

Re: Unit types strategy?

Tue Jun 30, 2020 1:38 am

Each army does need a balance of units, legions with auxiliary and cavalry, in order to maximize battle results. It is fine to use cavalry as scouts, but I usually use them as either a rapid moving force or a delaying force when not needed in armies. To me, auxiliary units do not do too much on their own. Because so much combat is focused upon the siege and capture of cities, auxiliary as an independent force are not too useful.
Legions are fine in most terrain, but, especially in Spain, it is useful to use specialized forces for some terrain instead of legions.
In some scenarios, legions raise in Rome are very movement challenged and need fleet movement or a fast commander, but most legions are fast in all terrains.
Non-Roman armies have different abilities and are a bit more complicated to use well.

Hister
Private

Wed Jul 01, 2020 8:47 am

Thank you Durk for the answer - was not that sure I will get any.

So legions are my core units obviously. How do axilliaries complement them, what role do they play with maximising the battle results? Do I look at the traits the elements in the unit have in order to see what they are good for or are there roles for units that are not written in their traits and I need to find information about them elsewhere? Do axilliaries play some sort of a role as screens, flank protecters to the main legion units, or are they used in rougher terrains and have bonuses there where legions have penalties?

For saggitari (archer) units I would deduct that they just soften the enemy in the fire phase before the melee phase but how much is their effect seen in the game - is there a substaintal difference in battle results when you add them to your legions?

Cavalry unit added with the legions army functions as "eyes and ears" of my army so that enemy units in neighboring regions have a harder time hiding from me and I am beter able to see what their unit composition is? How do you employ them as an independent delaying force, can you give me an example? I send one cavalry unit towards the suspecting approaching enemy and when I encounter them I put them in what battle stances in order to pull out a delaying tactic? In what instances do I need independent cavaly unit as rapid moving force - what do I seek to gain with them if they can't conquer settlements?

A hailstorm of questions, I know. :feu: Will make me appreciate the game much more when I will understand how to properly assemble and use my armies and it might help someone like me who returned to playing this awesome game.

Durk

Wed Jul 01, 2020 11:21 pm

It is a lot of questions. Let me point you in the right direction rather than attempting a meaningful, detailed answer as the manual and game feedback will be much more helpful to you.
Review combat in the manual page 40 until after siege combat. You will find many of your questions are directly answered, for instance combat by unit type and terrain. You will also see the factors such as fire combat and their impact on battle.
Then study the detailed battle results of a larger, close battle.
Then, back up a turn and rerun the turn and the battle and look at how this new battle was resolved.
Because probability outcomes are major factor in how combat abilities are applied, seeing the same battle multiple times will help you see the various impacts as differing factors are counted or discounted.
Frontage is a key concept as to unit deployment and engagement also.

You have probably seen the detail panel when you click on the icon in the upper right corner of the unit in the display box. The details here will offer much information about what you are asking. For instance, is this a supporting unit.
And then the leaders directly attached to a unit, not just in the same stack, also change the calculus.

Random
AGEod Veteran

Thu Jul 02, 2020 1:11 am

I would also argue that no army can be effective everywhere. Regardless of the scenario and faction that you choose, you will sometimes find yourself fighting in terrain that your forces are not suitable for.

My advise is to try to avoid over-complicating the problem. Think big picture and try to avoid decisive fights unless you can fight to advantage. Legions are effective in most terrain but not in all and if your main units are phalanx, you better steer clear of mountains and forests. Adding cavalry is usually always a plus as are missile troops. If you can avoid fighting on the ground of the enemy's choosing more often than not, that can go a long way towards increasing your odds.

Operations in most AJE scenarios can be deceptively deep and try to have a strategy that is appropriate to your victory conditions in place. Fight battles that suit that strategy and avoid those which do not.

-C

Hister
Private

Fri Jul 03, 2020 10:13 pm

OK guys, thank you for helping me out - I completely missed the 40 page and onwards manual sections in the past while reading through, bluuush!

Am right on it and hope to get more answeres from you guys, maybe from a certain scenario to see what I should be looking at when conducting my strategy. I managed a minor victory combating the Cisalpine gauls BOR scenario recently and started the 4 emperors scenario now as Vespasian.

Should I just come smashing into Judea with Vespasian or should I be doing a more careful approach? Send my cavalry into Judea to see what I am dealing with first maybe? Time is of the essense I see so not sure if I have the time to dic* around much there.

OK, on to reading the manual now.

Durk

Sun Jul 05, 2020 1:32 am

With all AJE scenarios keep history in mind; that is, what did Vespasian do? The only thing better than history are the introduction to the scenario and other game hint you might get for actions taken.
Vespasian was methodical in taking cities, meanwhile building for his bid to become emperor. Victories help NM.
Playing this game against AI you need to wait until you can declare your intentions, so you are building to take Rome, and taking Jerusalem may or may not help that goal.

Return to “Alea Jacta Est”