Zardoz
Corporal

Defending behind a river

Thu Nov 21, 2019 10:42 am

Sigh somebody needs to explain this to me. See the attached picture.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/DknEbzMbtx61djts7

Pompey is behind a river in blue/orange defensive stance. The area Pompey is in is 100% military controlled by him. But Antonius is able to cross the river and occupy the same region without combat.

Antonius should go to offensive stance when entering a region I totally control, shouldn't here? Why doesn't he attack? What have I missed?

Do I need to be in offensive stance to take advantage of the river obstacle even though I wish to defend? When exactly are the terrain penalties applied?

cheers

Tony

Durk

Re: Defending behind a river

Sun Nov 24, 2019 4:02 am

I am sometimes blind, so humor me, which side are you. I cannot quite figure this out. This would help in reply.

Zardoz
Corporal

Wed Nov 27, 2019 6:29 am

Oh I'm Pompey...

Antonius' army has crossed from the province in red and crossed into the same province as me. There is a river between the two provinces.

I was expecting that he would *have* to make that crossing in an offensive stance since he is entering a province 100% military controlled by me. I was expecting that a battle would then take place and I'd get some defensive benefit.

But what I have probably neglected to consider is the case where he is not active. He would stay on blue/something in that case, I believe. Since I have a defensive stance too no battle takes place.

I should have had Pompey on offensive stance ... orange/something.

Zardoz
Corporal

Wed Nov 27, 2019 6:30 am

Oh I'm Pompey...

Antonius' army has crossed from the province in red and crossed into the same province as me. There is a river between the two provinces.

I was expecting that he would *have* to make that crossing in an offensive stance since he is entering a province 100% military controlled by me. I was expecting that a battle would then take place and I'd get some defensive benefit.

But what I have probably neglected to consider is the case where he is not active. He would stay on blue/something in that case, I believe. Since I have a defensive stance too no battle takes place.

I should have had Pompey on offensive stance ... orange/something.

Return to “Alea Jacta Est”