Stratman
Captain

The Best AJE Grand Campaign

Thu Sep 27, 2018 2:29 pm

Hi there, an experts of AJE! :hat:
I am about to start AJE Grand Campaign :dada:
I have all AJE DLCs etc etc ...
So, I find a lot of stuff there, more then 20 unique GCs :nuts:
I used to play huge Grand Campaigns "solo" and do not like short scenarios :)
Could you please advice me "the best" AJE`s Grand Campaign in terms of gameplay and so on. I may say "the best among the longest ones".
Help me please pick up the right thing.
Thank you
PS Excuse me my English

Searry
Colonel

Re: The Best AJE Grand Campaign

Fri Sep 28, 2018 2:31 pm

If you're playing against AI, maybe Caesar's civil war as the Pompeians. The AI could have a minimal chance of winning.

Stratman
Captain

Sun Sep 30, 2018 12:59 pm

Searry wrote:If you're playing against AI, maybe Caesar's civil war as the Pompeians. The AI could have a minimal chance of winning.

Searry, thanks for the answer!
I am playing only "solo" - against myself.
Now I`ve picked up 4 huge Grand Campaigns from AJE series and need to choose the only one.
The candidates are:
1) Caesar's civil war as you mentioned (121 turns)
2) First Punic War (284 turns)
3) Second Punic War (226 turns)
4) The Cantabrian Wars (127 turns)

What is the best among them?

Thanks to all!

Searry
Colonel

Sun Sep 30, 2018 4:01 pm

I would say Second Punic War. Romans really hurt there and can make a comeback.

Stratman
Captain

Sun Sep 30, 2018 5:04 pm

Searry, thank you Man!

Baris
AGEod Guard of Honor

Sun Sep 30, 2018 10:22 pm

Short scenarios also good. They have different political options. It is always good to play all scenarios in chronological order in pbem or maybe solitaire to know better their strength. It is fun.

arsan

Mon Oct 01, 2018 9:31 am

2 Punic War is great. My vote goes to that.
Caesar Vs Pompey too, but it's not very balanced. Pompey have a hard time there. But if you are playing solo it's not so bad I guess.
Don't forget the two three sides scenario with Mithridates, populares and Optimates. They have less turns but are expansive, with action from Hispania to the Black Sea! They are called 1st Civil War and Third Mithraic War if I recall correctly.

Regards

Stratman
Captain

Mon Oct 01, 2018 9:47 pm

Thank you, gentlemen, for so valuable advice!

Arsan, that`s the real difficulty for me - choose one AJE campaign...
According to "my system" :) I have to choose the only one Grand Campaign from each AGEod title and then play them "solo". I do so by adding new GCs one by one.
Baris, I like your idea of chronological order of playing! I guess in AJE case I can submit all scenarios as "one big game" and play them "solo" in chronological order as one huge Grand Campaign.
So ... I have to decide: 2 Punic War ... or all AJE stuff playing in chronological order as one Grand Campaign.

arsan

Mon Oct 01, 2018 10:31 pm

AJE doesn't really have a grand campaign like other games, but lots of medium and small sized scenarios.
On some cases the turn number can be misguiding... There are some extremely long scenarios like the 1st Punic War (more than 200 turns) but with a limited scope ( it plays only on Tunis, Sicily and Italy, and most of the action is in the small Sicily island).
Others are only 30, 40 or 50 turns long but you have action all along the Mediterranean.

A tough choice!

Stratman
Captain

Mon Oct 01, 2018 11:37 pm

arsan wrote: On some cases the turn number can be misguiding...

Oh! That's important for me because I try to choose the longest content among others to get a maximum value from the game.
Given this fact I sooner choose a chronological order of playing all AGEod` scenarios.

Durk

Thu Oct 04, 2018 1:57 am

This is a very rewarding way to work through the AJE scenarios. I did the whole historical tour from oldest to newest with friend in pbem play. The scenarios are so rich and rewarding, each unique, many with options that only happen if you make specific choices or win specific cities or regions, that if I were playing solo against AI, I would start with the oldest, but then play each scenario from each (and with three player games all) sides.

Stratman
Captain

Thu Oct 04, 2018 7:38 pm

Durk, your experience is very valuable.
I made a decision play all AJE stuff in chronological order. Even more, I put on pause my BOA2 GC (War of Independence) and going to play all BOA2 stuff from oldest to newest scenarious. I think in this sense BOA2 is too close to AJE.

Durk

Fri Oct 05, 2018 2:10 am

Not sure about other players, but BOA2/WIA played from earliest to latest is the story of my relatives. I have some ancestor from the Pequot War to the War of 1812 in each of these conflicts, and even a couple who are named leaders in the game, so I did enjoy this tour of WIA from a more personal perspective.

For the Roman wars I do not miss the personal aspect as I identify with so many particular Greeks and Romans and even some leaders from the far-east, and from distant Hibernia and the British Isles.

Yes, WIA and AJE are very similar.

Baris
AGEod Guard of Honor

Sat Oct 06, 2018 12:13 am

Not surprisingly Western culture identify with ancient Greek and Romans. As from Eastern Mediterranean I read this more of an ideological terms than cultural with respect. :)

Stratman
Captain

Sat Nov 10, 2018 7:53 am

Durk wrote: I have some ancestor from the Pequot War to the War of 1812 in each of these conflicts, and even a couple who are named leaders in the game, so I did enjoy this tour of WIA from a more personal perspective.

Oh! That's amazing!!

And thank you again for information. I always reed your comments to all topics in this Forums with pleasure.

Khanti
Captain

Wed Nov 14, 2018 11:30 am

SMikh wrote:
arsan wrote: On some cases the turn number can be misguiding...

Oh! That's important for me because I try to choose the longest content among others to get a maximum value from the game.
Given this fact I sooner choose a chronological order of playing all AGEod` scenarios.

Septimus Severus 193 AD scenario has all stuff:
- 3 sides to choose, long campaign without to worry of short ending (and you may edit end date or just play after victory screen)
- nearly all provinces available in scenario (a rare thing in AJE)
- and you may become sole ruler of all Roman world in the end.
To make it more playable and less historical you may play it with +200% unit allowance or just edit all units to 999 possible of all kind for every faction. Then only resources count (as it was IRL).
Scenario has officially 49 turns, but it is easy to increase it in scn file and in that scenario it is logical to play longer. This is no railroaded scenario: opponents can do different things than their did historically.
Meteoryt-like user. Strikes and disappears.

Stratman
Captain

Wed Nov 14, 2018 9:14 pm

Khanti wrote:
Septimus Severus 193 AD scenario has all stuff:
- 3 sides to choose, long campaign without to worry of short ending (and you may edit end date or just play after victory screen)
- nearly all provinces available in scenario (a rare thing in AJE)
- and you may become sole ruler of all Roman world in the end.
To make it more playable and less historical you may play it with +200% unit allowance or just edit all units to 999 possible of all kind for every faction. Then only resources count (as it was IRL).
Scenario has officially 49 turns, but it is easy to increase it in scn file and in that scenario it is logical to play longer. This is no railroaded scenario: opponents can do different things than their did historically.

Khanti, this scenario options sounds cool for me! Since I`ve made a decision play all AJE` stuff in chronological order, this super game will wait for me in the very end. :)
By the way I'm afraid to interfere with the game by modding... In this case I trust the developers it terms of game settings.
Most likely I will play each AGEod Grand Campaign just once because a lot of great stuff has not been played yet :dada: So the optimal settings is very important for me.

Stratman
Captain

Wed Nov 14, 2018 9:17 pm

EDIT: Sorry for duplication.
I don't know how delete an empty post.

Return to “Alea Jacta Est”