schoschof5
Civilian

Combining generals with units

Tue Sep 04, 2018 11:44 am

Hi all,

Just kicked off another round of Marius vs Sulla and was wondering if it is worth joining generals with legions or any other units? For example, does combining Sulla with Legio 1 make Legio 1 a stronger unit (More strength and cohesion)? The same question for all other units like auxilaries, equites etc?

Also, the trait 'superior tactician' (Initiative bonus of +1 for all elements in the unit the leader is attached to. This ability applies if the leader is in the command of the stack). Is this explaining that if I attach the general to any unit, that all the elements within that unit will gain a +1 to initiative?

Thanks everyone!

Canon
Lieutenant

Re: Combining generals with units

Tue Sep 04, 2018 5:59 pm

I don't have the specifics on hand, but it is certainly worth combining your units with (sub)leaders... providing you have an overall leader present in the stack.

The overall leader (highest rank/seniority) provides something like 5% bonuses in combat to the whole stack per attack / defence point. Subleaders merged with units provide that specific attached unit with 3% combat bonuses per attack / defence point. So I always merge my strongest units (typically legions or phalanxes if non-Roman) with every available sub leader.

Again, I don't have the exact bonuses on hand, but it's something like that, enough to give you a picture of the effects.

schoschof5
Civilian

Tue Sep 04, 2018 8:00 pm

That's great, thanks for the response.

Are those bonuses mentioned in the manual anywhere? I've read through it a couple of times to help me grasp some of the concepts but don't remember reading anything about merging units with leaders?

I'll definitely start using my sub leaders from now on, I've always thought they didn't serve much purpose if they had a low seniority.

Durk

Wed Sep 05, 2018 3:29 am

In addition to what Canon says, it is really useful to make a leader's traits to a unit. For instance, cavalry or irregular units. But yes, connect each leader to a unit. Very much worthwhile to do so.

Khanti
Captain

Wed Nov 07, 2018 2:55 pm

Does combining Sulla with Legio 1 make Legio 1 a stronger unit (More strength and cohesion)?

It's like 338 -> 621.
Details:
Legio 1 has overall combat strength 338 alone.
After combining with Sulla it has overall combat strength 621.
Is it worthy? ;)
:D
But then suddenly Sulla stops being commander-in-chief. So maybe it's better to let him commanding the army and give his officers legions.
Hortalus combining with Legio 1 is worthy 459 points.
Meteoryt-like user. Strikes and disappears.

Durk

Thu Nov 08, 2018 12:56 am

You analysis actually explains what is at issue very well. If the force/army is small, combine Sulla with a legion. But a larger force using Sulla as the army commander makes sense.
I do not remember if this is correct, but I think there is a great chance for a leader to be killed in battle is attached to a unit.

Return to “Alea Jacta Est”