Comtedemeighan
Brigadier General

Destroyed units and supply lines questions

Fri Jan 26, 2018 10:35 am

I was messing around with the Trajan (spelling?) Parthia scenario and managed to get Trajans expedition deep into Mesopotamia. We were crushing all opposition then had a big battle that wrecked all 3 legions. My question is if I return to a big base such as Antioch will these legions rebuild or are the destroyed units lost forever?

Also is it better to build a string of depots from each location to keep supply moving? I know it's harsh desert terrain but my armies that pushed next to Trajan's force started to run out of supplies half way to Mesopotamia.

Nikel

Re: Destroyed units and supply lines questions

Fri Jan 26, 2018 3:49 pm

It is like other Ageod games.

Destroyed units must be created new (production), damaged ones can be replenished (replacements), both in the F2 tab, called in AJE dilectus by the latin word for recruitment.

Depots (receptaculi) help a lot to supply and replenish, if you put a damaged force in a region with a depot it will replenish faster than in a city without depot , look for details in the manual.

Regarding supply, when I was messing with NCP in the Peninsular War years ago, I remember that Ney's corps was completely destroyed in its way to Galicia in northwestern Spain (no cities, depots, well nothing in the way). Arrived Ney,... and his horse :wacko:

Durk

Sun Jan 28, 2018 12:57 am

Supply does not 'move' in AJE as it does in many other AGEOD games. Instead, it uses simply supply; which means, supply only exists in the region where it is generated. If you are adjacent to a supply source and have a wagon, you can draw supply from an adjacent supply source in addition to the region your force occupies. But supply never moves more than to an adjacent region.
With simple supply it is important to count elements in each of your units. For a unit to rebuild, you not only need dilectus as Nikel mentions, you also need to be in a supply region with supply equal to or greater than the number of elements in your force.
The Parthian scenarios are a supply challenge for both Rome and Parthia.

Comtedemeighan
Brigadier General

Sun Jan 28, 2018 9:50 am

Nice thanks for the replies guys. Good thing I'm the Emperor because I destroyed 3 Legions in the desert. Returned to Antioch and had a new army waiting for me. Will have to play this one very carefully.

Zardoz
Corporal

Wed Jan 31, 2018 4:29 am

Durk wrote:The Parthian scenarios are a supply challenge for both Rome and Parthia.

Another gotcha seems to be that newly captured provinces with low loyalty to your side don't generate supply at the rate advertised on the tooltip. Regional loyalty and national morale influence the actual supply output of a province - this is mentioned in the manual - but it isn't clear whether the game adjusts the supply value in the tooltip to reflect this.

I've managed to get Crassus well down into Parthia but he finds it hard to stay supplied :cuit: even though he captures major cities.

cheers

Tony

Durk

Fri Feb 02, 2018 12:50 am

The display is original supply status plus depots built. It does not reflect the rebuilding of capacity.

Often, slow methodical play for the Romans is a more secure way to win in the east. I just can not do that, so I make very fast moves and shuttle supply if quick sieges are not in the cards, but, of course, I often end up with poorly supplied forces.

Zardoz
Corporal

Fri Feb 02, 2018 7:20 am

The further down the Euphrates that Rome goes the harder it gets. Playing the Parthian side at the moment I'm building river boats to move supply up-river and then overland to my field armies.

BTW I've just found an online club that plays these games PBEM. That works really well. LOL, I bought half a dozen AGEOD games in a big sale but so far I've only played AJE. There's still many hours of play value left in that game alone.

Durk

Sat Feb 03, 2018 3:37 am

PBEM is the ultimate enjoyment of these games.
There are also members in this forum who look for opponents in the PBEM section

Comtedemeighan
Brigadier General

Sat Feb 03, 2018 5:47 pm

Durk wrote:PBEM is the ultimate enjoyment of these games.
There are also members in this forum who look for opponents in the PBEM section

It's been years since I did a PBEM. Played WIA and 30 Years war and got wrecked. Trying to relearn the games
by playing the A.I. for now. I have forgotten how to play haha.

Zardoz
Corporal

Sun Feb 04, 2018 1:50 am

That's my approach - play the AI first. If I can't do OK there, a real player will probably wipe the floor with me.
The other problem is just getting familiar with the scenarios - especially the geography, supply points etc.

I could probably play CW2 without too much preparation because I know Richmond and Washington were the capitals. But the Thirty Years War.... I'd have to google which thirty years, let alone the where the campaigns were.

I'll put a note here re PBEM when I finish my current AJE game.

cheers

Tony

Durk

Sun Feb 04, 2018 3:54 am

You guys are funny, kinda. PBEM is more about finding friends than experience humiliation. Many people all over the world to discover as companions and dastardly fiends.

Zardoz
Corporal

Mon Feb 05, 2018 9:14 am

sure but I need to know what capital city I'm supposed to be capturing... :dada:

Nikel

Tue Feb 06, 2018 11:16 am

I have learnt a lot of military history and geography playing wargames, specially Ageod's! :coeurs:

Straight Arrow
General

Thu Feb 08, 2018 5:49 am

Nikel wrote:I have learnt a lot of military history and geography playing wargames, specially Ageod's! :coeurs:

Ah yes, but living in the past can have its dangers; I still find myself momentarily confused when looking at modern maps of the Saar and Rhine.

Nikel

Thu Feb 08, 2018 4:10 pm

Why, should they belong to France instead of Germany? :wacko:

Return to “Alea Jacta Est”