Straight Arrow
General

Cash Flow for Carthage

Mon Dec 04, 2017 11:50 pm

Using Cardinal Ape's excellent work and a current game, I pulled together a cash flow chart for Carthage in the 2nd Punic War.

Please test and offer suggestions to this work; I'll edit in the corrections.

Warning - stop reading at this point if you do not want knowledge of the event before the event.

Carthaginian Income Flow

January- normal shipping earnings
Carthaginian treasury will be checked. If it has less than 100 denarii they will lose 1NM and 20VP.

February- normal shipping earnings
Trade from the Mare Internum Commercius has a variable income depending on the number of transport ships in the region. 20 or less ships earns 200$, 21 to 50 will earn 300$, 51 or more will earn 500$.

March- normal shipping earnings
City income is received once per year.

April- normal shipping earnings
Trade: Carthage, Gades

May- normal shipping earnings

June- normal shipping earnings

July- normal shipping earnings
Trade: Utica, Leptis Magna
Carthaginian treasury will be checked. If it has less than 100 denarii they will lose 1NM and 20VP.

August- normal shipping earnings

September- normal shipping earnings
The silver mines of Hispania will earn 200$ if Carthage controls Gades and has a transport unit in Mare Hispanicum Commercius.

October- normal shipping earnings
Yearly Trade which can be: Good 20% for $250, or Bad 20% for -2 NM.

November- normal shipping earnings
Leptis Magna will collect 200$ from caravan trade if it is under Carthage control.

December- normal shipping earnings
Trade: Utica, Leptis Magna, Syracusae

Comments:
Trade can be: Exceptional 10% chance, Normal, or Poor 10% chance.

Merchants combined with a trade post with give $25 after six turns; the trade post must be replaced.

Requisitions may coerce $50 per area if successful; whether it works or not, loyalty in the area will drop by 10%.

Enslave & plunder for $100 in regions that are not strongly loyal; use requisitions to lower loyalty to this point.

“The More Money” option will allow either faction to exchange 5EP, 2NM, and 25VP for 200$ and a 1% inflation increase; the inflation total is hidden but the % increase does happen.

“Selling Prisoners into Slavery” option if either faction has 5,000 prisoners they will receive an option to sell slaves for $200. If one has enough captured prisoners on hand, this event has a 33% chance every turn to become available again.

Take Leptis Magna and Carthage will lose $200 a year from Caravan trade.

The Carthaginians must build a transport unit and place it in the Mare Hispanicum Commercius area to earn $200 from the Hispania silver mines shipment.

Don7x
Civilian

Re: Cash Flow for Carthage

Mon Mar 12, 2018 11:02 pm

Trade from the Mare Internum Commercius has a variable income depending on the number of transport ships in the region. 20 or less ships earns 200$, 21 to 50 will earn 300$, 51 or more will earn 500$.

I had read elsewhere that it is not possible, in fact, for the Carthaginian player to augment sea commerce, as there is no option to build additional trading ships or to substitute them with transport ships (which provide no trade capacity).

Playing the Second Punic War Scenario, the Carthaginian player is granted 24 trading ships in the Mare Internum Commercius trading box at the start of the game, and this number appears largely unalterable without some direct intervention by the Roman player.

Can anyone confirm this rule?

Straight Arrow
General

Wed Mar 14, 2018 5:12 pm

Don7x wrote:

I had read elsewhere that it is not possible, in fact, for the Carthaginian player to augment sea commerce, as there is no option to build additional trading ships or to substitute them with transport ships (which provide no trade capacity).

Playing the Second Punic War Scenario, the Carthaginian player is granted 24 trading ships in the Mare Internum Commercius trading box at the start of the game, and this number appears largely unalterable without some direct intervention by the Roman player.

Putting a transport in the Mare Hispanicum Commercius area does not augment sea commerce. Rather it makes it possible to earn $200 from a Hispania silver mines shipment in September.

I can confirm that in my last 2nd Punic war, pbem, game, the absensce of a transport at the start of September, prevented the Carthaginian from receiving this money.

I can not say if it's possible for the Carthaginian player to augment sea commerce.

Cardinal Ape
General of the Army

Fri Mar 16, 2018 10:41 pm

Don7x wrote:

I can confirm that the event still works. I just ran another test to double check.

But yeah, I could have done a better job of describing the event. This source of income is from a triggered event. It is not like other trading ventures in similar ageod games. In fact, the merchant ships that start in the Mare Internum Commercius do not count towards this event, only generic transport ships do.

This source of income is called 'Naval Trade Income', it will show up in the event log each February, text in red. The event itself won't tell you how much has been earned, you will need to check the tooltip for cash. It will listed in the line for income from events and decisions.

Return to “Alea Jacta Est”