Zardoz
Corporal

Sieges and river ports

Mon Nov 13, 2017 11:13 am

An interesting observation from my Year of the 4 Emperors game. As Vitellius I have several cities along the Rhine, some with ports onto the river. But when they are besieged, the city's supply goes to zero. This seems to be different to coastal cities with ports where the seaport provides some supply and a naval blockade of the port is required to reduce total city supply to zero.

Is there really a difference between seaports and river ports or am I missing something?

See the screenshot below. Vagiones has a port as the tooltip says. There are no barbarian river boats blocking the port but supply is zero.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/APBvd8exClakYZlo1

Other than that the game is going well. I'm particularly pleased with my last couple of moves which have involved landing legions from Britain to deal with the uppity north German barbarians...

PhilThib

Re: Sieges and river ports

Mon Nov 13, 2017 4:47 pm

IIRC River ports do not need to be blockaded and do not affect sieges, but I don't remember exactly how...just that, gameplay-wise, it seemed a bit non-logical that they would provide free "naval" supply as they could really be easily blocked by nearby land besiegers (it's different from 'open sea' ports) :papy:

Zardoz
Corporal

Re: Sieges and river ports

Wed Nov 15, 2017 2:45 am

Fair enough although poor old Vitellius shed a more than a few kilos of weight before I could rescue him. :crying:
The African grain supply was the least of his worries for a while.

Return to “Alea Jacta Est”