Zardoz
Corporal

Why do I have supply here?

Thu Nov 02, 2017 3:13 am

Hi all.

Back playing AJE again after a break and having fun with the four emperors... :dada:

A quick question based on the screen shot linked below. I have an army outside Genua, controlled by the enemy, Otho in this case. I haven't conquered the town and the region is not next to any of my regions.

Yet the supply overlay suggests I have supply there. Why exactly? I understood that my supply comes from friendly towns and regions and from neighboring friendly regions when in enemy territory.

thanks

Tony

Screenshot:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/o7RGXnJ8tHyVGvVX2

Durk

Re: Why do I have supply here?

Thu Nov 02, 2017 5:30 am

This is an interesting post and an impossible situation.
I would say, because it cannot happen but actually did happen

Zardoz
Corporal

Thu Nov 02, 2017 8:12 am

otherwise known as a bug?

That's OK; I write software for a living so I'm sure I've put plenty of bugs out there in my time. I'll go back to figuring out how to take Otho and Vespasian down.

BTW I did a quick read of Tacitus before starting this scenario... none of the candidate emperors sound particularly attractive.

cheers

Tony

arsan

Thu Nov 02, 2017 12:36 pm

Rich regions usually generate a little supply even if you only control the countryside.
But in this case it seems a little too much suply and on a region not specially rich so... Not sure, really...

Zardoz
Corporal

Fri Nov 03, 2017 2:26 am

I was mainly concerned that I might have misunderstood a game mechanic, or how the supply system works.

My 95% military control of the countryside gives me a small amount of supply but I need to take the city to get serious supply is my understanding.

I went back and read Narwhal's excellent Beginners Corner on supply last night. A very useful post!

http://www.ageod-forum.com/viewtopic.php?f=306&t=25289&p=247013&hilit=Narwhal+supply+beginner%27s+corner#p247013

Taillebois
General of the Army

Fri Nov 03, 2017 9:14 am

The disappearance of the screenshots should serve as a reminder not to store your stuff on the web or the cloud. The narwhal/loki aars were great.

This thread did get me to have a quick play at the 4 emperors too. AJE is a great series. Time to make sure you have some installable back ups.

thebull0425
Corporal

Tue Nov 28, 2017 8:11 pm

Supply in this game is annoying as heck. Always running out, can never replenish, get into a battle, insta-wipe. Probably one of the worst supply systems in a wargame I have seen.

Don't get me started on storms happening all the time, and leaders not being able to board ships and escape in a besieged city when no fleet is outside the city...........

Durk

Wed Nov 29, 2017 4:30 am

thebull0425 wrote:Supply in this game is annoying as heck. Always running out, can never replenish, get into a battle, insta-wipe. Probably one of the worst supply systems in a wargame I have seen.

Don't get me started on storms happening all the time, and leaders not being able to board ships and escape in a besieged city when no fleet is outside the city...........

Supply is actually very straight forward if you know how to count. However, I get what you are saying, supply is very challenging in this game. You must count the number of elements in your army and compare this with the supply available in the city you occupy and the adjacent regions. Your army total elements must be under the number of available supply. If not, send some of your army away until you are in supply or build more depots if this option is available.

Leaders can board ships, they just need to be in avoid combat option.

Durk

Wed Nov 29, 2017 4:30 am

thebull0425 wrote:Supply in this game is annoying as heck. Always running out, can never replenish, get into a battle, insta-wipe. Probably one of the worst supply systems in a wargame I have seen.

Supply is actually very straight forward if you know how to count. However, I get what you are saying, supply is very challenging in this game. You must count the number of elements in your army and compare this with the supply available in the city you occupy and the adjacent regions. Your army total elements must be under the number of available supply. If not, send some of your army away until you are in supply or build more depots if this option is available.

Leaders can board ships, they just need to be in avoid combat option.

arsan

Wed Nov 29, 2017 12:49 pm

From my experience, supply on AJE is quite abundant... You just have to get the hang of how it works.
For unforgiving supply situations try BoA2 or TYW ;)

Canon
Lieutenant

Wed Nov 29, 2017 3:35 pm

That's part of the challenge... and the fun! The logistics element makes it more realistic to the challenges commanders of the time faced (at a playable level ie simplified, workable).

I can sympathize with you, as I find Spain particularly bothersome to try to keep the legions fed and happy, but in the end the challenge makes it far more entertaining than not having to worry about supply and simply marching on your objectives.

Return to “Alea Jacta Est”