rwenstrup
Sergeant

Best original AJE scenario for head to head PBEM play?

Thu Jun 15, 2017 3:24 pm

Have been playing around with the AJE PBEM game with a friend and started with the Sulla scenario. Think that one is a little too complex for the first PBEM game.

In the core scenarios that come with AJE, which is the best for an initial effort in PBEM?

Thanks in advance for your wise council ...

Durk

Re: Best original AJE scenario for head to head PBEM play?

Fri Jun 16, 2017 3:42 am

You may be very well playing the best learning scenario of the original AJE game. Both players have pretty clear goals. There is some complexity in best play, but if you know Marius will grow weak quickly and must act decisively early, this might make it work.

Only the Year of the Four Emperors is less complex with regard to unit management, but the political situation is a real challenge. Lots of factions, but very direct goals.

rwenstrup
Sergeant

Sat Jun 17, 2017 2:15 am

Thank you Durk, I appreciate your following up on my question!

Would some of the other DLC offerings provide a simpler starting point? My friend is new to Ageod games, and I'm trying to help him come to love that games as I do ...

Thanks again for your help ...

Durk

Sat Jun 17, 2017 3:33 am

Hmm, good question.

The Cantabrian Wars is an excellent DLC but it is tough to play on both sides. And you must be updated to the latest versions for it to be balanced. But it is a single theater with focused play.

The Spartacus Revolt is a very decent choice. Spartacus is a tough opponent. I do not know if you have read Mary Beard's excellent book SPQR: A History of Ancient Rome where she asserts that many of Spartacus's men were ex-legionnaires of Sulla's armies. This scenario respects Spartacus' strength in Beard's sense of his power, not just slaves, but men asserting their worth.

So maybe that DLC?

rwenstrup
Sergeant

Sun Jun 18, 2017 10:22 pm

Durk,

Thanks again for your help!

Return to “Alea Jacta Est”