Ebbingford

Cantabrian scenario

Fri Jan 13, 2017 2:50 pm

Baris and I are playing this scenario at present, me as Rome.
We have 46 turns left of the scenario and are on the verge of abandoning due to the hopelessness of the Roman position.
We are finding that Rome is nowhere near strong enough to do anything..... Am I doing something wrong?
Can anybody shed any light on if any Roman legions are sent to help late in the scenario? If they are not, then how are you meant to win as Rome? Rome has only had a 3* leader for a few turns of the scenario so far, he turned up, got ill, and then went home. It is hard to stand up to a tribal hoard when they have a 3* and Rome only has a 2* in command, add in the fact that Rome is outnumbered and it means Rome has to avoid big battles. Doesn't seem right.
I tested this scenario in beta many moons ago but was only playing against Athena and can't remember anything about it.......
Any insights into the scenario anyone?

PhilThib

Re: Cantabrian scenario

Fri Jan 13, 2017 3:24 pm

When I played it (as Rome), I remember how hard it was historically and I proceeded step by step, first taking out the plains where the Romans are at their best. I tried to keep my Legions concentrated in the biggest (yet still correctly commanded) possible stacks.

Augustus is good, but Aggripa is better and usually turns this around for the Roman

Ebbingford

Fri Jan 13, 2017 3:45 pm

Thanks for the prompt reply Phil,
I couldn't do anything when I had Augustus....
We'll play on and see if Aggripa brings any extra legions :cool:

Durk

Sat Jan 14, 2017 4:48 am

A player-friend and I are working backward, chronologically, through all the AJE scenarios. When we reached the Cantabrian War, instead of the usual you play and then I replay and then we move on, we played this scenario about six time before moving on. Rome is seriously challenged and cannot simply use brute force or my favored John Bell Hood hop on the horse and win the war. The solution PhilThib has suggested is very workable.

There are three fields of conflict:
In the north; Rome can move with caution and pin down many opposing forces.
In the west: Rome moves with care, encouraging Canabrian engagement.
In the middle: Rome slowing takes each city reducing supply cities and expanding control.

This is a very tough scenario for both sides, but Rome must play without error forcing her opponent into a poor supply situation.

Baris
AGEod Guard of Honor

Mon Jan 16, 2017 12:15 am

POW commit suicide event come recently as playing Cantabri. It subtracts -1000 POW per 5 EP. I think any player would have difficulty playing as Romans. Still it is not decisive victory for Cantabri for the limited number of supply wagons to siege further .

Ebbingford

Mon Jan 16, 2017 10:51 am

Agrippa has arrived but didn't bring any extra legions. I still can't stand against the hoards in a pitched battle.
We just had one where Baris and his hoards attacked my whole Roman army. He attacked across a river, I was entrenched in wooded non hilly, non mountain terrain, I had better luck with the dice roll, and I still lost the battle and retreated out of the area. Ok, I destroyed more of his elements than he did of mine and inflicted more casualties, but without extra troops I just can't see how Rome has any chance of winning this scenario.
The crucify prisoners option comes too late to have much of a bearing on the outcome. I couldn't take it for 4 or 5 turns as I didn't have enough EP, but even if I did, I still don't think it is enough. I also don't think it is working properly....
I took the option and it says that the Cantabrians lose NM every turn. The turn we have just had they started on 109NM, got 1 from winning the above battle, and are now on 110NM. No reduction at all. We will keep our eyes on it and see if it does go dowm.
Something else I spotted during the course of this scenario, When Rome assaults a castrum, defended by the normal 4 element garrison, they only ever get 1 lot of prisoners. When the Cantabrians assault a castrum they get 4 lots of prisoners......

Durk

Tue Jan 17, 2017 5:19 am

Hang in there, both my opponent and I finally won as the Romans. As he said, Rome took a four times the time to conquer Italy as it took to conquer the rest of the world.

Ebbingford

Tue Jan 17, 2017 10:23 am

Thanks for the encouragement Durk
I might have to ask for another go at this scenario and try and do better :cool:

Ebbingford

Thu Jan 19, 2017 5:21 pm

Finished it.
Victory/Defeat screen needs some work though......

I give up, can't seem to attach an image, I thought I did a week or so ago just by dropping it onto the text box. Doesn't seem to be working now though.
I do miss the old forum for ease of use..........

Anyway, the victory screen says minor defeat for Rome, but I am number one on the podium and the text box says "txt _ROM_LoseVP_CaesarPompey50".......

I think I need to play this one again.

Baris
AGEod Guard of Honor

Thu Jan 19, 2017 5:44 pm

I've attached them. :leprechau

Nikel

Thu Jan 19, 2017 5:46 pm

Is there any scenario or campaign in any Ageod game in which the victory/defeat result is not disappointing? :innocent:

Posting pics is only possible is certain subfora, no way apparently that the forum maintainers solve it. Unless you upload them somewhere else of course.

Durk

Fri Jan 20, 2017 6:14 am

You know, for me, I love the victory conditions. These are not the overblown results of other games, but the more realistic "yep, you did ok, but not a win." Truly I like these more realistic conditions.

Return to “Alea Jacta Est”