Sruba
Private

Following an army while beeing in the same province.

Mon Aug 22, 2016 8:39 pm

I have a problem with one of the mechanics for all AGEOD games, but I will post it on this tite.
Say for example we have two stack of different armies (they are both hostile to each other), and for example 1 army is in atack stance wanting to crush another and the other is trying to retreat so defensive stance/green retreat option or even blue.

The problem is, that you can't target enemy army to follow them, while beeing in same province. Let's say that enemy slips out of your fingers and moves quite a long distance. Without that mechanic, you are stuck in same province and chasing opponent loses one turn.

Of course you can anticipate the enemy move, but with 5-6 provines around it (narrow it to 2-3 as enemy retreats to his lands) might be a lucky guess.

AGEOD, is there a possibility to repair that mechanic, so we could target armies even while beeing in same province, so if one retreats the atacking one may still follow another ?

Durk

Tue Aug 23, 2016 4:15 am

So, for what it is worth, I disagree with you. When I am on the losing end of this situation, I wish so hard for a chance to escape and rebuild. When I am on the winning end, I do not mind trying to outguess my opponent and beat him to his best refuge.
I think this mechanic is very realistic and historical. Usually a beaten army can at least retreat. It will not stand to defend, it will run away.

Sruba
Private

Tue Aug 23, 2016 8:58 pm

I can agree, that in real situation army that has been beaten will retreat faster and if it was badly beaten we can assume, that units are just running fo their lives and victors are feasting on the spoils of war. But, we could just assume, that army could chase retreating army with for example 50% movement maulus to represent real live "run for your lives" disorganized retreat. So in conclusion, it would never catch the looser, but it would at least move some point at his direction without losing whole turn sitting and doing nothing ...

Durk

Wed Aug 24, 2016 12:58 am

Ah ha, I see what you are saying. Two game mechanisms allow you to do more than sit and watch the enemy depart.

One is maximizing your cavalry. If you route your enemy, your cavalry does "pursue" inflicting additional casualties. You need to have a larger cavalry contingent than the pursued stack.

The other is to not plot your move to end in the enemy held region, but past it. Plan on a city a few regions behind the enemy force. If you succeed in routing the enemy you force will likely continue its march. Of course the enemy may not retreat along the path of your further march, but worth a chance for a second battle. If you are already in the same region as the turn begins, unless you must take the region, plot to move to a new region. Do make certain you are in offensive posture or there might not be a battle.

Return to “Alea Jacta Est”