Philippe
AGEod Veteran

Wrong bio

Sat Jul 23, 2016 5:29 pm

[ATTACH]39424[/ATTACH]

Since the scenario starts in 87 BC, that would make this general ten years old.

Here is a quote from the Wiki on what is more probably the correct character:

Appius Claudius Pulcher (c. 139 BC – 76 BC) was a Roman politician of the 1st century BC. There is uncertainty about who is father was. It was most probably the Appius Claudius Pulcher who was consul in 143 BC.[1] He was a supporter of Lucius Cornelius Sulla and served as praetor in 88 BC. He was exiled in that year by Gaius Marius while Sulla was away in the east. He returned to Rome after Lucius Cornelius Cinna died in 84 BC, and served as consul in 79 BC and as governor of Roman Macedonia from 78 BC to 76 BC.

unquote
Attachments
ten years old.jpg

Nikel

Sat Jul 23, 2016 7:02 pm

You are right.

The correct bio should be of his father of the same name.

If you want to edit it, the bio is the line 13869 in the file localstrings_AJE.csv.

13585 is the son's bio, that is the same right now.

Philippe
AGEod Veteran

Sun Jul 24, 2016 12:08 am

Not sure what to do about the syntax in the different cells.

The text in the first cell is pretty straight-forward.

It should read

ldr_txt_ROM_PulcherAC1;Born 139 BC. Praetor 88 BC., supporter of Sulla exiled by Marius, returned after death of Cinna. Consul (79 BC), Proconsul Macedonia 78-76 BC.; Appius Claudius Pulcher. Né en 139 avant J.C – mort en 76. Sénateur et fils du consul de 143

unquote

The french text in the second cell ("du meme nom") is fine.

After that almost all of the French text should be discarded.

The problem comes at the very end of the last cell with the string of names. Also, since the English text is now much shorter, I'm not sure there is any need for the French text to use several cells.

I wasn't really looking to learn AJE's spreadsheet syntax for a one-off correction. Can't you just slip the correction into the next patch?

Nikel

Sun Jul 24, 2016 9:45 am

You just have to change the english bio in the respective cell. No need to change the french for your personal use, as you are not playing in french.

Just posted the easy solution in case no more patches are coming. I was only a beta for a short time mainly translating into spanish, so cannot tell whether there will be further patches or not.

Le Ricain

Sun Jul 24, 2016 3:20 pm

As the guy who did the original bios, please accept my apologies.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

'Nous voilà, Lafayette'

Colonel C.E. Stanton, aide to A.E.F. commander John 'Black Jack' Pershing, upon the landing of the first US troops in France 1917

vonBredow
Sergeant

Mon Jul 25, 2016 7:34 pm

OK, so which text do I put in the Excel file? I'd like to do the correction myself.

Nikel

Mon Jul 25, 2016 8:04 pm

As Philippe commented this is the right Ap. Claudius Pulcher for the scenario in question, with a short bio you may use:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Appius_Claudius_Pulcher_(consul_79_BC)

There are more details in the german version.

Philippe
AGEod Veteran

Mon Jul 25, 2016 8:42 pm

Much to my surprise my copy of the OCD re-appeared over the weekend. Since the wiki on Claudius is rather sparse, here is the entry from the OCD:

Praetor in 89 or 88 B.c., enrolled some newly enfranchised allies. As an enemy of Cinna, he left Rome in 87, was outlawed and struck off the Senate list

by his own nephew Marcius Philippus. As Consul (79) he went to Macedonia (78), and, despite illness, won some victories but died in 76. He was married

to a daughter of Metellus Baliaricus and was father of P. Clodius.

unquote

Claudius' son Clodius was famous in Cicero's day.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Publius_Clodius_Pulcher

I've never owned a copy of Pauly-Wissowa, but if you read German, that's a more complete source than the Oxford Classical Dictionary.

Return to “Alea Jacta Est”