dinsdale
Sergeant

Questions On Supply, Replacements, Combat And Pontus

Fri May 29, 2015 3:20 am

I know I'm about 3 years late, but just getting into the game quite recently. Would appreciate some help:

1) Replacements. I understand that buying 1 replacement counts as approximately 10 replacement points. Is this correct, is it 10 or another calculation. Are existing replacement points (the number existing on the chit) count as the replacement ie 10 missing points?

2) When legions lose elements is there a way to combine legions?

3) How are elements replaced? It seems to be random when I get elements back in severely damaged legions

4) Playing Mithradite war, I marched up the coast of Spain with Pompey, wreaking havoc and taking Sertorian cities. However, when I reached Dertosa I suddenly ran into supply problems. From what I understand, I get basic supply quantity of: (provinces supply level x 5) * control % for the province I am in plus all adjacent controlled provinces. For Dertosa, supply level was 12, adjacent controlled provinces were Iturgi (8), Bibilis (8), all at 100%. That should provide (12 + 8 + 8) * 5 = 140 supply points. With initial stock of 1052 and usage of 234 per turn, I should have a net loss of 94 per turn and run out in about 11 turns. Is this calculation correct. I seemed to burn through my supplies much much faster and had to abandon my advance.

5) Does something happen to the Pontics between Sulla V Marius and The Mithradite War? When playing as a Roman I never failed to destroy Pontic forces in the first scenario, but in Asia Minor my legions are getting seriously kicked around by the Pontics

Finally...

6) Why do multiple combats per turn take place? I have had 5+ combats between the same forces in a single turn, what stops 1 side retreating and continuing to fight a new battle after losing?

Thanks in advance

Durk

Fri May 29, 2015 4:41 am

hope others will chime in where I am wrong.

1 – Replacing*1 lost element => 1 chit.
Replacing*1 hit in a unit with 10 SP => 1/10 chance to consume one chit.
Replacing*1 hit in a unit with 6 SP => 1/6 chance to consume one chit.

2 – Yes he sum of the sub-elements must allow a full unit to form. Select the units you want to combine with Crrl key, then Ctrl-C them.

3 – The units on Passive stance are targeted first for replacements. Otherwise, it is random

4 – If this was War in America your calculus would be correct. AJE has a bit of a different logic which makes supply a bit tougher. What you are missing is depots to make your supply chain work. You need a supply chain.

5 – Yes, the Pontics in Mithradite War are spoiling for a fight.

6 – Combats repeat due to multiple factors. Who controls the region, leadership, offensive and defensive posture and the troops themselves are they worn or eager.

dinsdale
Sergeant

Fri May 29, 2015 6:26 am

Durk wrote:hope others will chime in where I am wrong.

1 – Replacing*1 lost element => 1 chit.
Replacing*1 hit in a unit with 10 SP => 1/10 chance to consume one chit.
Replacing*1 hit in a unit with 6 SP => 1/6 chance to consume one chit.

That makes sense....kind of. If I have 1/10 or 1/6 chance to consume a chit and it is not consumed, does it apply to the next replacement attempt?

4 – If this was War in America your calculus would be correct. AJE has a bit of a different logic which makes supply a bit tougher. What you are missing is depots to make your supply chain work. You need a supply chain.

Could you expand on this, I thought AJE was the WIA model. I've been using depots as a supply augmenter, not a chain. Do supplies move from non adjacent provinces?

Thanks so much for the answers, I knew the older engine much better than the new one, I'm still struggling to make intuitive decisions and understanding the outcomes.

Franciscus

Fri May 29, 2015 6:34 am

Two points:
- there is no "supply chain" in AJE. AJE uses the so called "simple" supply rule: your forces draw supply from supply chariots, from the region they are in and from adjacent ones. You can build depots, but just to increase supply availability on a region

- there is a known bug that sometimes prevents armies from retreating from battle. We are working in a patch to fix it

Regards
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Durk

Sat May 30, 2015 4:28 am

I know I do not always use terminology correctly.
What I meant by a supply chain is not the way in other games supply is pushed forward by rail and depots. I meant, how do you keep an army supplied in this game where supply is as much of an enemy as your opponent. I was thinking of the wagon train running back and forth to make a chain of supply. Each source from which you draw supply must produce sufficient supply to either refill your wagons or support your entire force. The calculus, supply available from all adjacent regions, and the one you are in if you own it, must equal the number of elements in your force.

I think there are two game tactics to keep from running out of supply. So let us call this, How to Supply a Large Force When Few Supplies are Available instead of supply chain.

One of the major problems is the balance between force size and supply. This is dinsdale's #4 question. There are two ways I know of to handle this, especially when playing early scenarios where no siege engines are possible and your side has no cards to play to cause surrender. Your only hope is to starve your opponent into surrender. If you dally too long, you starve instead of your opponent.

Have supply wagons in plenty so you can run them back and forth between your army and cities away from the front so they can resupply.

Build depots in a city adjacent to the city you are besieging. When possible this works well. You can build depots in regions without cities, but they are more difficult to defend.

Supply is really a challenge in most of the scenarios.

Franciscus

Sat May 30, 2015 9:00 am

Durk wrote:I know I do not always use terminology correctly.
What I meant by a supply chain is not the way in other games supply is pushed forward by rail and depots. I meant, how do you keep an army supplied in this game where supply is as much of an enemy as your opponent. I was thinking of the wagon train running back and forth to make a chain of supply. Each source from which you draw supply must produce sufficient supply to either refill your wagons or support your entire force. The calculus, supply available from all adjacent regions, and the one you are in if you own it, must equal the number of elements in your force.

I think there are two game tactics to keep from running out of supply. So let us call this, How to Supply a Large Force When Few Supplies are Available instead of supply chain.

One of the major problems is the balance between force size and supply. This is dinsdale's #4 question. There are two ways I know of to handle this, especially when playing early scenarios where no siege engines are possible and your side has no cards to play to cause surrender. Your only hope is to starve your opponent into surrender. If you dally too long, you starve instead of your opponent.

Have supply wagons in plenty so you can run them back and forth between your army and cities away from the front so they can resupply.

Build depots in a city adjacent to the city you are besieging. When possible this works well. You can build depots in regions without cities, but they are more difficult to defend.

Yes, you are absolutely correct.

Durk wrote:Supply is really a challenge in most of the scenarios.

As it should be... :evilgrin:

Regards
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Durk

Sun May 31, 2015 2:01 am

Franciscus wrote:Yes, you are absolutely correct.

As it should be... :evilgrin:

Regards

Yes, yes indeed. This is not only a challenge, but it makes players not place all their troop in a single region. Instead, they have smaller armies on separate missions or converging for a major assault.

Return to “Alea Jacta Est”