Trueknight
Corporal

First Punic War: conquest of Sicily

Sun Apr 26, 2015 9:42 pm

Sorry if this has been asked already, but I can't find anything in the forum.
In my current First Punic War PBEM I, as Rome, managed to conquer every city in Sicily and I think I saw an event saying that if I managed to hold it for a year, the game would end.
After more than 12 turns of control of the island though nothing have happened yet, so I'm starting to wonder if I got the event wrong. Can anyone help me?

Thanks!

Ebbingford

Sun Apr 26, 2015 9:48 pm

I think that applies if Carthage holds all of Sicily for a year, don't know about Rome though....
I think you will have to wait for Franciscus to pop by for a definitive answer. :cool:
"Umbrellas will not be opened in the presence of the enemy." Duke of Wellington before the Battle of Waterloo, 1815.

"Top hats will not be worn in the Eighth Army" Field-Marshal Viscount Montgomery of Alamein K.G.

Franciscus

Sun Apr 26, 2015 10:07 pm

Hello :)

Indeed, it works differently for both factions.

Carthage must hold all of Sicily for two full years (24 consecutive turns) to get a large boost of morale (+200) that will effectively end the game.

If Rome has possession of all of Sicily (and for just one turn is enough), an event should fire, giving just once a +50 morale boost to Rome and a -50 morale malus to Carthage; this may or not be decisive.

If this has not happened, you can post a save and the content of your scripts folder, I may be able to check it, in the next week or so.

Regards
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Trueknight
Corporal

Sun Apr 26, 2015 10:43 pm

Franciscus wrote:Hello :)

Carthage must hold all of Sicily for two full years (24 consecutive turns) to get a large boost of morale (+200) that will effectively end the game.

If Rome has possession of all of Sicily (and for just one turn is enough), an event should fire, giving just once a +50 morale boost to Rome and a -50 morale malus to Carthage; this may or not be decisive.

If this has not happened, you can post a save and the content of your scripts folder, I may be able to check it, in the next week or so.

Regards

Thank you all...the morale bonus event actually fired up, I might have misread the event description, or maybe I supposed it worked exactly in the same way as for Carthage and didn't bother to read it.
Anyway, since it's all WAD and the bonus wasn't sufficient, I suppose my legions will have to visit Africa to finish this war! :)

Trueknight
Corporal

Sun Apr 26, 2015 11:00 pm

BTW, may I ask you what's the rationale behind this choice? Is that because of historical considerations, or for gameplay balance?

Durk

Wed Apr 29, 2015 2:53 am

Franciscus wrote:Hello :)

Regards

Hi Franciscus -

We are currently in a game where Rome took all of Sicily about six turns ago. Neither did the boost nor penalty kick in. This is the second game where Rome has taken all of Sicily without a NM boost.

Please find replay files and scripts folder attached. We are doing shared hosting, so the files rotate from attachment to attachment.

This is actually nice to find out about. Each of us has vied for Sicily, but mostly so Carthage could gain the Syracuse mercenaries and Rome could deny their arrival. Neither of us realized it could be that decisive to the game.
Attachments
Backup3.1.zip
(2.94 MiB) Downloaded 180 times
Backup2.zip
(2.9 MiB) Downloaded 183 times
Backup2.1.zip
(2.92 MiB) Downloaded 171 times
Backup1.1.zip
(2.94 MiB) Downloaded 158 times
Backup1 (2).zip
(2.92 MiB) Downloaded 160 times

Durk

Wed Apr 29, 2015 2:53 am

I cannot upload the scripts file. It is too large. Is there a particular script you need?

Franciscus

Wed Apr 29, 2015 6:55 am

Hi

I would need the scripts report of the turn when Rome conquered all of Sicily, and the turn after that...
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Franciscus

Wed Apr 29, 2015 6:57 am

Trueknight wrote:BTW, may I ask you what's the rationale behind this choice? Is that because of historical considerations, or for gameplay balance?

It is a scenario designer choice, so probably historical...

Regards
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

El Nino

Wed Apr 29, 2015 12:57 pm

Franciscus wrote:It is a scenario designer choice, so probably historical...

Regards

Hello Franciscus, in fact, yes, it's a scenario designer choice.
Historically, if Carthage have the control of all Sicily, it's the end of a long war beginned with Greeks many years ago... (+200 MP)
If Rome will take all the island, Carthage will not make peace (only +50 roman MP). Rome must crush the carthaginian war machine to make peace with the punic city.

Durk

Wed Apr 29, 2015 3:33 pm

Franciscus wrote:Hi

I would need the scripts report of the turn when Rome conquered all of Sicily, and the turn after that...

This is more scripts than you need, but the exact turn we are not sure.
Attachments
ScriptReport11356.zip
(191.23 KiB) Downloaded 174 times

Erik Springelkamp
Brigadier General

Wed Apr 29, 2015 4:49 pm

Durk wrote:I cannot upload the scripts file. It is too large. Is there a particular script you need?

For uploading large files it is now possible one of the free cloud services like Dropbox, Onedrive from Mircosoft, or Google drive, where you can get many Gigabytes free storage (I have 15 GB free on each of them).

You put the file on the service, and provide a link to that file where people can download them.

It solves all those problems with uploading or mailing large files.

You can also put pictures there in full resolution to link in fora, without using crappy upload services.

Franciscus

Wed Apr 29, 2015 10:56 pm

Hi Durk

I am confused :)

The scripts you provided are from a PAR scenario (Crassus)

And the saves you provided are from a SPW 218 scenario from HAN... :bonk:

Just a note to clarify a possible source of the confusion: These "conquest of Sicily" we are discussing are for the FPW scenarios of BOR, and do not exist in HAN scenarios...

Regards
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Durk

Wed Apr 29, 2015 11:44 pm

Ah Franciscus -

I do see. I was attempting to send HAN files. I am pretty clueless about the technical side of the games. So my observation was for the wrong game and scenario.

Sorry for the confusion.

Durk

Return to “Alea Jacta Est”