Avionauta
Conscript

Recruitment clarification and best newbie scenario

Mon Feb 16, 2015 3:05 pm

Hi everyone,
that's my first post here. I bought this game once it was released on Steam few months ago, but lately I decided to spend some time in learning it.
Though I playd the tutorial scenario, read through the manual once, and watched Charles tutorial on YouTube; but I'm still quite confused on how this game works :(

I have only the base game and picked the shortest scenario (in terms of turns) available, and it's the 4 emperors years, or something like that.
I selected Otho as faction just because it owns Rome, is it strategy right? :D

By the way looking the forces available I thought I'd need one or two legios more, but I can't recruit them, they are just not available in the list of possible units to be recruited.
So now I'm confused, why they're not available at all? I can't find any information about requirements to recruit them anywhere, could anyone enlight me please?

Further, being a noob, what scenario and faction you suggest to start with? (consider I have only the base game)

If there's some pious soul out there that would like to add me on Steam (Avionauta also there), or whatever other means you like, so we can chat faster about tons of questions I might have and why not try a multiplayer session just to be used as let's learn match, it will be an easy win for you guys XD

Thanks!

Durk

Mon Feb 16, 2015 6:08 pm

Welcome to the forum - All of the scenarios in the base game are fine and fun. I do prefer Caesar versus Pompey for personal and historical reasons. To me, it is the easiest to learn as the history of this conflict is easy to find. While it is not essential to know the history to play well, if you know the history, you have some ideas of what options of play are most likely to result in favorable events appearing for your faction.

The forces available for recruitment are limited by the scenario constraints. You have no legions to buy as Otho already has the maximum number of units his faction can support at the opening of the game.

Avionauta
Conscript

Mon Feb 16, 2015 8:41 pm

Thanks for the answer, how can I check the army limit? I've found mention of this in the manual, but it's not clear to me if there's some statistics I can read which will with no doubt show me that's the reason. Or the fact I can't reclute them means exactly this?

Though you suggest Caesar vs Pompey scenario, I guess as Caesar would be the "easiest"?

Durk

Tue Feb 17, 2015 12:15 am

The 'army limit' in game terms is represented in the army recruitment panel. All the units you can buy are present. You will see a little number over unit types which tells you how many of each kind available you can buy. But yes, the fact you cannot recruit them because they are not present means this.

Yes, play as Caesar for the easiest. Take Rome first, of course, on turn one. You will immediately notice how this changes the replacement pool, if I remember correctly. Next, take the Iberian peninsula. Once you succeed in doing this you will see your force pool expand with the addition of many new units and unit types.

Franciscus

Tue Feb 17, 2015 1:54 am

Hello

Just some pointers:

- as a rule of thumb, it's not "easy" to just recruit legions. Generally speaking, you start with the historical number of them, and only by certain events, some factions, in some scenarios, are able to recruit new ones, or "absorb" the legions of a defeated faction. Otherwise, you must use wisely what you have, and you will only be able to recruit some auxiliary units, naval units, etc. Using military options, you can also sometimes recruit mercenary units, that can be very helpful - and powerful.

. in AJE scenarios, generally speaking, the faction that won "historically" is usually the one that, all the rest being equal, may have an easiest path to victory - namely, the romans in GMW, Sulla in Marius vs Sulla, Caesar in the "roman civil war", Vespasianus in the year of the four emperors and Severus in "his" scenario. Regarding specifically the year of the four emperors, Otho is almost certainly the hardest faction to play with and it is almost impossible to "win" as Otho.

IMHO, the easiest way to start is by playing Sulla in Marius vs Sulla; a strong faction, a great leader, a very interesting scenario.

Hope you enjoy!

Regards
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Durk

Tue Feb 17, 2015 5:00 am

Franciscus, solid points for sure. I think you are correct that Sulla is the right faction for new players. More focused than Caesar v Pompey. The history is a bit harder to access, but readily available.

Avionauta
Conscript

Tue Feb 17, 2015 12:48 pm

Franciscus wrote:Hello

Just some pointers:

- as a rule of thumb, it's not "easy" to just recruit legions. Generally speaking, you start with the historical number of them, and only by certain events, some factions, in some scenarios, are able to recruit new ones, or "absorb" the legions of a defeated faction. Otherwise, you must use wisely what you have, and you will only be able to recruit some auxiliary units, naval units, etc. Using military options, you can also sometimes recruit mercenary units, that can be very helpful - and powerful.

. in AJE scenarios, generally speaking, the faction that won "historically" is usually the one that, all the rest being equal, may have an easiest path to victory - namely, the romans in GMW, Sulla in Marius vs Sulla, Caesar in the "roman civil war", Vespasianus in the year of the four emperors and Severus in "his" scenario. Regarding specifically the year of the four emperors, Otho is almost certainly the hardest faction to play with and it is almost impossible to "win" as Otho.

IMHO, the easiest way to start is by playing Sulla in Marius vs Sulla; a strong faction, a great leader, a very interesting scenario.

Hope you enjoy!

Regards

So I just picked the most difficult I could XD

OT, I've also bought American Civil War 2, and I like the fact that scenarios are ranked with stars for difficulty and so far the tutorial seems better done. I'm also in the middle of reading the manual and I don't know if it's because I'm getting used to some terms but it just looks better than AJE one.

Hister
Private

Mon Feb 23, 2015 10:40 pm

OT, I've also bought American Civil War 2, and I like the fact that scenarios are ranked with stars for difficulty and so far the tutorial seems better done. I'm also in the middle of reading the manual and I don't know if it's because I'm getting used to some terms but it just looks better than AJE one.

It's normal - ACW2 was made alter in the production cycle and I suppose more development resources went into it.

Durk

Tue Feb 24, 2015 6:18 am

Avionauta wrote: OT, I've also bought American Civil War 2, and I like the fact that scenarios are ranked with stars for difficulty and so far the tutorial seems better done. I'm also in the middle of reading the manual and I don't know if it's because I'm getting used to some terms but it just looks better than AJE one.

Better is a relative term. American Civil War 2 is certainly more detailed and involving in that way. AJE has a simpler interface, but it has rich play options in its own right. Both games are excellent, but for different reasons.
ACW 2 is my dream game. It is the game I had always hoped could be designed for a representation of the American Civil War. It is a superb game. Deep and complex, yet with a realistic play.
AJE is one of my very favorite games to play pbem. Relatively simple mechanics, yet really complex play results. It is a marvel as a strategic challenge.

Avionauta
Conscript

Tue Feb 24, 2015 11:27 am

Durk wrote:Better is a relative term. American Civil War 2 is certainly more detailed and involving in that way. AJE has a simpler interface, but it has rich play options in its own right. Both games are excellent, but for different reasons.
ACW 2 is my dream game. It is the game I had always hoped could be designed for a representation of the American Civil War. It is a superb game. Deep and complex, yet with a realistic play.
AJE is one of my very favorite games to play pbem. Relatively simple mechanics, yet really complex play results. It is a marvel as a strategic challenge.

I'm Italian so I do love the Roman Empire set :)
And for better I meant just how it looks like, it's more polished would have been the best sentence to use instead, and as it was told it's because ACW2 came after.

As a newcomer that's how I experienced the two games at first impact, as you know I haven't playd them so much yet, so we'll see.

Return to “Alea Jacta Est”