Jagger2013
General of the Army

Pompey

Tue May 13, 2014 2:48 am

I am playing Pompey in a Caesar-Pompey PBEM. First time I have played it, so not sure how events play out. I choose go East to raise armies. I received a message stating that Pompey needed to visit various potential allies to convince them to join the cause. It also stated it would take up to a year to obtain the new armies. Now I have Pompey out into the middle of Turkey and he is joined with a locked potential ally. Nothing is happening. I am not getting a message saying the potential ally will join or not.

I have also started receiving reinforcement options which cost EPs to obtain foreign troop contingents. Are these reinforcement choices how I am suppose to build armies from the East rather than send Pompey to the East to raise armies??

I am confused. I certainly don't want Pompey in the East, when he is needed in the West, unless he must be in the East visiting potential allies to obtain armies.

So how do I go about raising the Eastern armies? Sent Pompey personally to the east or just chose the EP reinforcement options to build the eastern armies???

It is a PBEM game. I can't waste too much time with Pompey wondering throughout the east unless he actually has to be there. Anyone with previous Pompey experience know the answer?

pantsukki
Brigadier General

Tue May 13, 2014 3:21 pm

The event text is a little confusing, there's no need for Pompeius to visit any of them personally. Just activate the (mostly useless) troops via reinforcement options. The Thracians are pretty handy though.

Jagger2013
General of the Army

Tue May 13, 2014 4:24 pm

Thanks Pantsukki, Pompey is heading back to the front. I noticed he was getting a bit nervous being so close to Egypt.

James D Burns

Tue May 13, 2014 8:33 pm

pantsukki wrote: (mostly useless)

Useless vs. Romans sure, but I generally send the small allied contingents vs. the Parthian and see success with them there if I can find a spare leader or two to lead them with no command penalties. Grab what victory point cities you can with them and it’s more than worth the EP cost you spent to get them. It might be tough to take all of Parthia without a larger commitment, but you can grab a good chunk of the northern part without a huge force commitment beyond the allies.

As mentioned though, vs. Rome only Romans will do but some of the Spanish allied units and the Thracians can hold their own if lead by Pompey and backed by a few legions in the stack as well.

Jim

pantsukki
Brigadier General

Wed May 14, 2014 12:39 am

James D Burns wrote:Useless vs. Romans sure, but I generally send the small allied contingents vs. the Parthian and see success with them there if I can find a spare leader or two to lead them with no command penalties. Grab what victory point cities you can with them and it’s more than worth the EP cost you spent to get them. It might be tough to take all of Parthia without a larger commitment, but you can grab a good chunk of the northern part without a huge force commitment beyond the allies.

Jim

Poking the Parthians with some random allied forces should really lead to a strong response from them.

Jagger2013 wrote:I noticed he was getting a bit nervous being so close to Egypt.

:evilgrin:

Jagger2013
General of the Army

Wed May 14, 2014 2:08 am

I just looked at Parthia. I am at war with them but only a small portion of Parthia can be entered for play. That area has one strategic city, Nisbis. I don't know if it is worth going in for 1 VP if it is at the risk of stirring up a hornets nest. Although 1 VP for a hundred turns is 100 VPs. Maybe more of Parthia opens up for play if I invade.

Anybody watch the Rome HBO series? Excellent series, highly recommend for anyone who hasn't seen it. Of course, Pompey's betrayal in Egypt was pretty gruesome but not as bad as Caesar's betrayal. Even though I knew Caesar was going to die eventually, to see it happen was shocking.

James D Burns

Wed May 14, 2014 4:09 pm

pantsukki wrote:Poking the Parthians with some random allied forces should really lead to a strong response from them.
:evilgrin:

Could not agree more, I’ve always assumed the design intent was for Parthia to be very active in the scenario due to the two diplomatic events you have the option to play to send them home. But they never attack or threaten Syria at all, so there is never a reason to send them packing with the events provided.

I’ve always attacked with the allied units in an attempt to get Parthia shaken out of its stupor, but have yet to see them make an offensive move against the Romans in that scenario even if I do attack them. I would be interested to know if anyone has seen them be active and if so what did you do to make that happen in your game.

Jim

Franciscus

Thu May 15, 2014 12:26 am

Hi

After some discussion among the team, it was felt better (and historically accurate) that the Parthians do not take an active role in the Roman civil war scenario; so, in the upcoming patch 1.04 Parthia will be locked and inactivated.
(but the Pompeian options for "peace" to unlock the eastern legions will remain)

Regards
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

VigaBrand

Fri Jan 23, 2015 5:56 pm

One question to the evenst.
I know, that sicily is switching sides after caesar is landing.
Which are the conditions that spain switch sides and with spain all the legions there. In my current PBEM, I built some reinforcements and now all troops switch sides and ceasar became spain. I choose "east", too.
Das Bedürfnis nach Sicherheit steht jedem wagemutigen Unterfangen im Wege.

Lieber tausend Feinde als einen Idioten als Verbündeten!

The Rebell-Yell ein AACW II Einsteiger AAR

Du suchst ein deutsches AGEOD Forum, um dich zu Spielen zu verabreden, deine Strategien auszutauschen oder um andere Mitspieler zu finden?
Dann bist du hier genau richtig!

Deutsches PoN PBEM

Franciscus

Fri Jan 23, 2015 9:24 pm

VigaBrand wrote:One question to the evenst.
I know, that sicily is switching sides after caesar is landing.
Which are the conditions that spain switch sides and with spain all the legions there. In my current PBEM, I built some reinforcements and now all troops switch sides and ceasar became spain. I choose "east", too.

Hi. For the Hispania "switch", Caesar must be in Hispania and Pompey must NOT be in Hispania; Caesar must control Carthago Nova, Salduba, Cesse and Ilerda.

Regards
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Return to “Alea Jacta Est”