tormos
Civilian

Where to start?

Tue Mar 04, 2014 12:39 pm

Hi, I'm a complete newbie to Matrix/Slitherine/AGEOD/whatever games, and an almost total newbie to wargaming generally (outside of getting my tail kicked in Unity of Command). I downloaded AJE last night, read through the manual, and played the tutorial scenario. Now, however, I see a bunch of campaigns, evidently arranged in chronological order. Is there one in particular that is "Newbie friendly" (constrained to a smaller area, or generally easier/more straightforward)? If not, what are your suggestions for campaigns and sides to start with?
Regards,
Tormos

loki100
AGEod Guard of Honor

Tue Mar 04, 2014 12:46 pm

Hi and welcome

I'd say the easiest faction and scenario is the Vespasians in the 4 Emperors. You need to be a wee bit careful to make sure you squash the Jewish revolt but its probably the simplest faction - the other two will fight each other.

its good to learn how NM, VPs, EPs are collected and used (you need to bribe the Danube legions) and the early campaign in Judea will help you get your head around sieges etc.

I've not played it under 1.3, but Sulla in the Marius-Sulla-Mithradates campaign was another side that was a bit easier (even if you start surrounded ... or in the central position if you are an optimist).

edit - you may find this AAR helpful. It was with the beta so some things are different now (the legions have been toned down), but it may help give you a feel for the options and things to watch out for.
AJE The Hero, The Traitor and The Barbarian
PoN Manufacturing Italy; A clear bright sun
RoP The Mightiest Empires Fall
WIA Burning down the Houses; Wars in America; The Tea Wars

tormos
Civilian

Tue Mar 04, 2014 1:06 pm

Thanks for the quick reply. I will thumb through that AAR and then give the campaign a shot. Will report back on how it goes (assuming that I don't snap under the pressure)

Jim-NC

Tue Mar 04, 2014 2:30 pm

@ Tormos - welcome to the forums :wavey:

There are some other AARs on the game as well. You may want to read all of them.
Remember - The beatings will continue until morale improves.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Narwhal

Wed Mar 05, 2014 2:55 pm

Hello,

Vespasian is easy to win, but the easier to play in my opinion is the Sertorius faction in the Great Mithridatic War. I would use that as a tutorial [no fleet, powerful land units on a rather small theater, weak enemies at the beginning, no significant supply issues].

I would absolutely avoid playing anything Pontic before getting the grasp of supplies.

Hobbes

Thu Mar 06, 2014 11:27 pm

Hi Tormos, I would definitely take your time and read a few AARs. You can even play against yourself which I think is a good way of learning the game (but not a lot of fun). I have to know every rule before I enjoy a game but a friend of mine used to just charge in and not care - I beat him about 60% of the time so knowing everything seems to make little difference (unless I'm an idiot of course).

For a newbie friendly game I would just pick a short one (but these, along with tutorial scenarios, are often not the best).

Cheers,
Chris

Return to “Alea Jacta Est”