Edorf74
Private

Thinking of buying the game

Fri Mar 08, 2013 8:46 pm

Hi.

As the title suggest I`m in to possible buying the game but my concern is on the replay value of the game.
I`m more into grand strategy games and AJE and BOR is more scenario based. So what are the possibilities
for me here?

If I buy I will probably get both AJE and BOR

Erik Springelkamp
Brigadier General

Fri Mar 08, 2013 9:24 pm

I expect new scenario's to appear regularly in the (near) future.

Since the introduction of AJE we have already seen the bonus scenario Spartacus, the Cantabrian War DLC, and the six scenario's of Birth of Rome, and new ones are already being developed.

These scenario's appear faster than I can play them.

PJJ
Captain

Fri Mar 08, 2013 10:08 pm

I think there's plenty of replay value offered by AJE and BOR. Many of the scenarios have several different factions that you can play, and depending on which one you choose, things can go very differently in each scenario. Even the smaller scenarios, like the Spartacus revolt, are a lot of fun and play differently depending on your choice of faction.

Agesilaus
Corporal

Sat Mar 09, 2013 6:45 am

Both titles feature a few large-scale scenarios that may be described as grand campaigns. The scenarios can be played a large number of times, too; I load up the smaller scenarios like the Spartacus War a lot, and the longer scenarios will take enough of your time up the first time around let alone the second or third.

If you only plan to buy one, pick the one that corresponds with the period you're most interested in. Personally, I like Birth of Rome more.

Durk

Sat Mar 09, 2013 6:49 am

There are at least three grand strategy scenarios in the two games. But it is actually difficult to segregate the scenarios into the two categories you suggest. Some very short games are so complex that you will come to think of them as grand strategy. The magic of both games is this, easy to play, very hard to master.

Edorf74
Private

Sat Mar 09, 2013 4:55 pm

Thanks for your helpful comments.

Both AJE and BOR is added to my purchase list. Too hard to resist since the games looks fantastic and my only real alternative to the time frame is EU: Rome from Paradox. But that one is unstable and still in beta...

Math2
Conscript

Sat Mar 09, 2013 8:32 pm

EURome from what I've seen actually looks like a well rounded game....You should pick it up, but AJE looks even better to me

Fabius Maximus
Conscript

Sat Mar 09, 2013 11:46 pm

Birth of Rome or Alea Jacta Est? Which first?

Franciscus

Sun Mar 10, 2013 12:58 am

Fabius Maximus wrote:Birth of Rome or Alea Jacta Est? Which first?

It really depends on your interests, because the game engine and mechanics are almost the same.

Birth of Rome scenarios are more limited in terms of geographical space and put the romans fighting against their main enemies, in the years of Rome ascenscion to power in Italy and the mediterranean sea (so, Gauls, Samnites, Carthage - First Punic War - Pyrhus)

AJE depicts some of the main civil wars that were fought among roman factions, in a later stage, the main scenario being THE Roman civil war (Caesar vs Pompeius); but you also have the chance to play as or against Mithridates in 2 scenarios. The geographical space of the scenarios is larger, too.

Regards

Return to “Alea Jacta Est”