anibal barca
Lieutenant

cesar vs pompey scenario

Sat Oct 27, 2012 1:46 pm

the cesar vs pompey scenario,Why has a duration of 121 turns?if one turn is equivalent to one month in the game.
this civil war lasted 51 months,of 2 January 49 BC with the crossing of the Rubicon River by cesar to 17 March 45 BC with the battle of Munda.
addition to murder Julius Caesar in 15 march of 44 BC, impossible for him to continue the campaign historically.
Any clarification on this?
thank.

yellow ribbon

Sat Oct 27, 2012 2:21 pm

anibal barca wrote:the cesar vs pompey scenario,Why has a duration of 121 turns?if one turn is equivalent to one month in the game.
this civil war lasted 51 months,of 2 January 49 BC with the crossing of the Rubicon River by cesar to 17 March 45 BC with the battle of Munda.
addition to murder Julius Caesar in 15 march of 44 BC, impossible for him to continue the campaign historically.
Any clarification on this?
thank.

hm, the original civil war ended already in -48. by this time you can have a moral victory in game and have won. but all Pompeian troops are still out there and giving his faction units and resources. i.e. Sextus Pompeius Magnus Pius kept on fighting the successors of Caesar until -35, even taking Sicily.

So if Caesar was not supposed to be killed in the game, i believe you can carry on and seize the map, fight against Pompeis former allies instead of all the conflicts of forces around the historical second Triumvirat thereby. One could even have it extended to -30, Octavian taking Alexandria, but the 120 turns are more practical as is the name "civil war" for the scenario, than "civil war and the possible aftermath if Caesar is not murdered"
...not paid by AGEOD.
however, prone to throw them into disarray.

PS:

‘Everything is very simple in War, but the simplest thing is difficult. These difficulties accumulate and produce a friction which no man can imagine exactly who has not seen War . . . in War, through the influence of an infinity of petty circumstances, which cannot properly be described on paper, things disappoint us, and we fall short of the mark.‘

Clausewitz

anibal barca
Lieutenant

Sat Oct 27, 2012 3:55 pm

yellow ribbon wrote:hm, the original civil war ended already in -48. by this time you can have a moral victory in game and have won. but all Pompeian troops are still out there and giving his faction units and resources. i.e. Sextus Pompeius Magnus Pius kept on fighting the successors of Caesar until -35, even taking Sicily.

So if Caesar was not supposed to be killed in the game, i believe you can carry on and seize the map, fight against Pompeis former allies instead of all the conflicts of forces around the historical second Triumvirat thereby. One could even have it extended to -30, Octavian taking Alexandria, but the 120 turns are more practical as is the name "civil war" for the scenario, than "civil war and the possible aftermath if Caesar is not murdered"

pompey dead before that cesar,scipio and caton fight in africa and they were defeated in the battle of tapso.

Florent

Sat Oct 27, 2012 3:58 pm

The last battle is Munda in Spain in 45 BC.

yellow ribbon

Sat Oct 27, 2012 4:13 pm

Pompeys death is September 48 BC, its obviously the end of the War with Caesar, but not of the civil war.

now lets take Munda -45, but this did not end any open fights in the republic, nor the republic itself

go on with the battle of Philippi -42 as a consequence that Caesar was murdered, its a logical conclusion that, if Caesar is still in game, he can move on and wipe out all Pompeian helping hands, which were active on the republics/senates behalf until at least -36.

Now you need for different difficulty levels and skills of players a reserve time especially if playing Pompey, maybe 25%.
while 120 turns is kind of traditional for Ageod. the moment the map is turned into one color, the game ended.
...not paid by AGEOD.

PS:

‘Everything is very simple in War, but the simplest thing is difficult. These difficulties accumulate and produce a friction which no man can imagine exactly who has not seen War . . . in War, through the influence of an infinity of petty circumstances, which cannot properly be described on paper, things disappoint us, and we fall short of the mark.‘

Clausewitz

yellow ribbon

Sat Oct 27, 2012 4:17 pm

and of course, at least i hope so, to offer us enough room to mod any additional content into this scenario ^^
...not paid by AGEOD.

PS:

Clausewitz

anibal barca
Lieutenant

Sat Oct 27, 2012 4:27 pm

then this is historical or hypothetical scenario?
i prefer the historical scenarios with historical events,is what most attracts me AGEOD games with exquisite care historicity in all aspects as events, units, generals and VIPs, visual appearance of the units and all aspects that give historic dive to these games.

yellow ribbon

Sat Oct 27, 2012 4:37 pm

anibal barca wrote:then this is historical or hypothetical scenario?
i prefer the historical scenarios with historical events,is what most attracts me AGEOD games with exquisite care historicity in all aspects as events, units, generals and VIPs, visual appearance of the units and all aspects that give historic dive to these games.

as i never saw many situations with ten legions and more on each side,
as Caesar can be killed in battle, but no event kills him...

historical background, dynamical game, changing history.
but i would have a question back, when historically the war DID NOT END with Pompey dead, why should the scenario end with Caesar murdered? ;)

the most logical conclusion is, to have a GRAND campaign, which has to differ from the majority of the 3,4,5 year scenarios. and which needs an "open end" to ensure that you can win, independent of you skills. making mistakes and just needing more time, if the mistakes were not too large...
...not paid by AGEOD.

PS:

Clausewitz

Laruku
General of the Army

Sat Oct 27, 2012 6:36 pm

There wasn't kryptonite at that time, so Caesar cannot die. :)

yellow ribbon

Sat Oct 27, 2012 6:48 pm

Laruku wrote:There wasn't kryptonite at that time, so Caesar cannot die. :)

aaaaaaaah, thanks, i stand corrected. why the hell this is not already on the modding list.... *curse myself*
...not paid by AGEOD.

PS:

Clausewitz

Return to “Alea Jacta Est”