Yarpen
Private

Speed of movement

Sun Sep 23, 2012 10:37 pm

Maybe I'm missing something, but... In "Year of 4 emperors" I have in spring 2 large stacks under Valens & Caecina trying to cross the Alps to Galia Cisalpina through 2 different mountain passes. If I keep in these stacks Germanic mercenaries (some of heavy infantry, cavalry and archers from a starting set-up) predicted times to pass the Alps are like 60-80 days. Crazy. If I remove these Germans, leaving in stacks only legions, but also Gallic auxiliaries, their time suddenly is like 16-18 days. WTH? The difference has no rational explanation to me.

BTW, freezing rivers offer interesting tactical possibilities. But in my current campaign I have a small remains of beaten Otho's army from Vindonissa, which probably try to run after the siege through then frozen river, but somehow stuck on it (Rhenus Superior) and now they sit on a river (so says toolip) - can't be attacked by ships, by land units, are not moving themselves. Apparently a bug.

yellow ribbon

Sun Sep 23, 2012 10:43 pm

look for the detailed units panel, a velocity variable of 100 for such merc. would be common. add this far slower speed coefficient plus the bad terrain and bad weather and it can indeed end up with 30 days difference.

dont know here, but happens in Asia minor regularly
...not paid by AGEOD.
however, prone to throw them into disarray.

PS:

‘Everything is very simple in War, but the simplest thing is difficult. These difficulties accumulate and produce a friction which no man can imagine exactly who has not seen War . . . in War, through the influence of an infinity of petty circumstances, which cannot properly be described on paper, things disappoint us, and we fall short of the mark.‘

Clausewitz

Yarpen
Private

Sun Sep 23, 2012 11:00 pm

OK, thank you.

Franciscus

Sun Sep 23, 2012 11:03 pm

What you describe regarding the germanic units is WAD but adequate feedback is indeed missing for the player. These (and others) are a kind of "local" units, that get severe movement penalties when they leave "their" region (in this case going to the Italian theater). This penalty is transmitted to the whole stack.
All this is by design, but adequate feedback is for the moment missing, we are discussing this.

Sorry for the inconvenience

Yarpen
Private

Sun Sep 23, 2012 11:34 pm

Thanks. But it's not a problem of general logic behind this, rather of the size of "time gap". I.e. now I'm trying to move Vitelius (slow drunkard anyway) with only Germanic auxilia form Vindonissa to Argentarum - just 2 provinces anway - and it shows arrival time of 80 days! It's insane (middle of summer, good weather).

Franciscus

Sun Sep 23, 2012 11:52 pm

Yarpen wrote:Thanks. But it's not a problem of general logic behind this, rather of the size of "time gap". I.e. now I'm trying to move Vitelius (slow drunkard anyway) with only Germanic auxilia form Vindonissa to Argentarum - just 2 provinces anway - and it shows arrival time of 80 days! It's insane (middle of summer, good weather).

The slow mover ability of Vitelius (and others) kicks in if he is not active (which happens a lot to the poor drunkard) and reduces the stack's movement rate % value by an absolute 25, so it can easily give those slow movement rates. I am sure you will soon find the effect of the slow-mover "ability" coupled with the out of home movement penalty (IIRC, reduction of 2/3 to whole stack) of the germanic units... It can lead to movement rates of hundreds of days...

To avoid this for the time being you must: try to leave "local" units out of stacks that are going to other theaters; and separate slow mover leaders from stacks that you intend to move..

Return to “Alea Jacta Est”