MarsRobert

Tue Sep 25, 2012 4:39 pm

PhilThib wrote:Someone is already working on an Aurelian scenario :thumbsup:

Thanks so much Philippe. Keep talking like that and I'm going to have to fork out the money for the Praetor version! ;) Seriously, AJE is the game I've been waiting for all these years. I remember how excited I was when Creative Assembly did their Barbarian Invasions expansion to Rome Total War, but was disappointed to find that rather than give us campaign scenarios like AJE, all we got was the usual Total War sandbox game starting in 375 AD and a couple of tactical battles. :(

Anyway, keep up the great work. AJE is a masterpiece. :)

PS.......Love your mean looking Roman eagle. I'm using it as my Steam avatar icon. ;)

MarsRobert

Tue Sep 25, 2012 4:50 pm

I recall in the board game Imperium Romanum 2 we played Theodosius vs. Arbogast (The Frigid River Campaign). As Theodosius I spent the better part of a year getting my army and supplies together. When I finally marched up through Dalmatia and concentrated my army to confront Arbogast, using up my most of my supplies in the process, the jerk retreated before combat! :( At that point I said the heck with it, and let Arbogast remain as Imperator of the West. ;)

MarsRobert

Tue Sep 25, 2012 4:51 pm

wijse wrote:Heres a reference list for possible future civil war scenarios not in the game yet. Feel free to mention if anything is not covered.

Republic
  • Social War 91-88 bc (Medium Campaign)
  • Catiline Conspiracy (63–62 BC) (short campaign)
  • Final War of the Roman Republic (32–30 BC) (Short campaign) between Octavian and Marc Anthony.
Middle Empire
  • Year of the Six Emperors (238 AD) (Maximinus Thrax fighting off Gordian I and II and then suddenly three more usurpers spring up, Pupienus and Balbinus and Gordian III) (Short Campaign)
  • Roman civil war of 284–285 AD between Diocletian and Carinus (Short Campaign)
Late Empire
  • Civil wars of the Tetrarchy (306–324) (Awesome Long Campaign)
  • Roman civil war of 350–351 AD, between Constantius II and Magnentius (Short campaign)
  • Roman civil war of 360–361 AD, between Constantius II and Julian the Apostate (Short campaign
  • Roman civil war of 387–388 AD, between Theodosius I and Magnus Maximus (Short campaign)
  • Roman civil war of 394 AD, between Theodosius I and Arbogast (Short campaign)

I recall in the board game Imperium Romanum 2 we played Theodosius vs. Arbogast (The Frigid River Campaign). As Theodosius I spent the better part of a year getting my army and supplies together. When I finally marched up through Dalmatia and concentrated my army to confront Arbogast, using up my most of my supplies in the process, the jerk retreated before combat! :( At that point I said the heck with it, and let Arbogast remain as Imperator of the West. ;)

Narwhal

Tue Sep 25, 2012 4:54 pm

Man, I wish I had friends into Wargames. The most wargamish friend I got plays Warhammer Battle, and I coerced my father into playing Jutland twice :)

MarsRobert

Tue Sep 25, 2012 5:41 pm

Narwhal wrote:Man, I wish I had friends into Wargames. The most wargamish friend I got plays Warhammer Battle, and I coerced my father into playing Jutland twice :)

I hear ya man. Back in the 90's I was in a wargame club, and Imperium Romanum 2 was quite popular. As I recall my big victory was beating back Fritigern and the Goths, and my great loss was playing Antony/Cleo against Octavian. I'm just sorry we could never quite get five people together to do the Sons of Constantine scenario.

Speaking of playing against humans, I sense that PBEM multiplayer of AJE would be great fun. I definitely want to give it a try once I've gotten some more experience with the game. Thus far my online multiplayer experience has mostly been ship-to-ship fights in Star Trek Online. ;)

Anyway, time to give Marius one more go. ;)

Searry
Colonel

Sun Oct 07, 2012 2:36 pm

I hope there could be an expansion towards late wars against outer enemies. The Sassanid campaigns look particularly interesting.

ess1
Lieutenant Colonel

Mon Oct 08, 2012 4:00 pm

MarsRobert wrote:I hear ya man. Back in the 90's I was in a wargame club, and Imperium Romanum 2 was quite popular. As I recall my big victory was beating back Fritigern and the Goths, and my great loss was playing Antony/Cleo against Octavian. I'm just sorry we could never quite get five people together to do the Sons of Constantine scenario.

Speaking of playing against humans, I sense that PBEM multiplayer of AJE would be great fun. I definitely want to give it a try once I've gotten some more experience with the game. Thus far my online multiplayer experience has mostly been ship-to-ship fights in Star Trek Online. ;)

Anyway, time to give Mariu s one more go. ;)

A list/thread for those wanting a pbem game would be helpful.

Wiking
Sergeant

Mon Oct 08, 2012 10:50 pm

PhilThib wrote:Someone is already working on an Aurelian scenario :thumbsup:

:thumbsup: from me, can't wait.

Speedy
Conscript

Tue Oct 09, 2012 12:30 pm

Imperium Romanum II - loved that game, still got the books, maps and counters in a drawer, the box however hasn't survived the last quarter century. :)

As for scenarios I would like to see pretty much all of Romes history and beyond its fall as well, but the first thing I would want to see is the 3rd and 4th century's A.D.

MarsRobert

Fri Nov 02, 2012 1:15 pm

Speedy wrote:Imperium Romanum II - loved that game, still got the books, maps and counters in a drawer, the box however hasn't survived the last quarter century. :)

As for scenarios I would like to see pretty much all of Romes history and beyond its fall as well, but the first thing I would want to see is the 3rd and 4th century's A.D.

Yeah, I'm proud to say that I have my copy of Imperium in excellent condition; by far my favorite board game of all time (with maybe the Starcraft board game as a distant second lol) BTW, I used the scenario manual as the basis for a history term paper I did and the prof loved it. And yes, the reason I forked out the money for the Praetor Edition is because I wanted to encourage AGEOD to do all those great 3rd Century AD and beyond scenarios that you mentioned. ;) To me having a PC game version of Imperium Romanum is a gaming dream come true.

Return to “Alea Jacta Est”