anibal barca
Lieutenant

visual units

Thu Sep 20, 2012 9:17 pm

i love the historical visual aspects of most units,but there are some units that have historical errors visually,for example the helmets of the republican roman auxiliary or a unit of pontus kingdom having uniform Carthaginian,is possible to fix these glitches historical visual appearance of some units in some future patch?,thanks.

yellow ribbon

Thu Sep 20, 2012 9:25 pm

maybe you two should work together/discuss

( with wijse )

http://www.ageod-forum.com/showthread.php?25669-Modding-Questions

:p apy:
...not paid by AGEOD.
however, prone to throw them into disarray.

PS:

‘Everything is very simple in War, but the simplest thing is difficult. These difficulties accumulate and produce a friction which no man can imagine exactly who has not seen War . . . in War, through the influence of an infinity of petty circumstances, which cannot properly be described on paper, things disappoint us, and we fall short of the mark.‘

Clausewitz

wijse

Thu Sep 20, 2012 9:27 pm

I have been thinking about making some historical correct unit graphic mods. Besides that i don't know if we can convince Philthib or Pangi to alter some stuff.

from 88 bc and till the time of Augustus. The Romans did not have any "Roman Cavalry" units. They used Thracian, Germanic, Gallic and Numidian auxilia cavalry. Yet all the roman legions in the Caesar vs Pompey scenario have roman cavalry and roman archers(not in the legions, but recruitable) with coolus E "early imperial helmets"[RIGHT][/RIGHT]

From the same ledger you recruit gallic and germanic cavalry, you should be able to recruit numidian cavalry, belearic slingers, african archers and greek archers.
Also known as wis on the paradox forums.

yellow ribbon

Thu Sep 20, 2012 9:42 pm

this kind of units are in game, but need graphical improvement

Num. are mercenaries

balearics are in game, but there is a trick i tell you only in PM, otherwise in events

greek archers go on account of crete and rhodus, or east Greece in other scenarios

africans need more work, since up to now it splits into Mauretanian, Numidian and Greeks Lagides mainly

for the sprites, you could work endless and i admired your work in the past, even if it were hats in the right color ^^
...not paid by AGEOD.

PS:

‘Everything is very simple in War, but the simplest thing is difficult. These difficulties accumulate and produce a friction which no man can imagine exactly who has not seen War . . . in War, through the influence of an infinity of petty circumstances, which cannot properly be described on paper, things disappoint us, and we fall short of the mark.‘

Clausewitz

anibal barca
Lieutenant

Thu Sep 20, 2012 9:49 pm

[quote="wijse"]I have been thinking about making some historical correct unit graphic mods. Besides that i don't know if we can convince Philthib or Pangi to alter some stuff.

from 88 bc and till the time of Augustus. The Romans did not have any "Roman Cavalry" units. They used Thracian, Germanic, Gallic and Numidian auxilia cavalry. Yet all the roman legions in the Caesar vs Pompey scenario have roman cavalry and roman archers(not in the legions, but recruitable) with coolus E "early imperial helmets"[RIGHT][/RIGHT]

very good news.
the roman republican used roman cavalry in the legions.

wijse

Thu Sep 20, 2012 9:54 pm

Only till 88 bc, the equestrian class were recruited into equites. But after that it dissapeared. The legions might have had a small 120 sized roman cavalry scout unit. I kid you not, look it up. It wasn't till Augustus who started using Roman cavalry alaes outfitted with roman equipment. From 88bc till the reign of Augustus there weren't any Roman cavalry.

Ever heard about Julius Caesar using Roman cavalry? He was famous for using Germanic, Gallic and Numidian allied cavalry.

"Republican cavalry (338-88 BC) End of the citizen cavalry. The Jugurthine War is the last war in which Roman/Italian confederate cavalry is attested as having played a significant part. After that references to the citizen cavalry become rare and the Roman army seems to have become largely dependent on non-citizen cavalry, either recruited in the subject provinces or supplied by allied kings."
Also known as wis on the paradox forums.

yellow ribbon

Thu Sep 20, 2012 10:06 pm

formally 300 men, but only till around the social wars / -88 mainly

centuries later they even had 1200-1500 men strong legions, mainly mounted. but not that much in Caesars time. In mind the AUX are dominating, since they were thousands.
as Caesar you have three options to get mounted mercenaries from, German, Numbian and Gauls. while you have to many Aux in provinces which use the same counter than Roman cav.

PS:

even if not saying it was worthy cav. the romans had few hundreds of "roman"riders as recon force, antecursores, exploratores, not always mounted, it seems

PPS:

not sure, but i think in Bibracte it was truly ROMAN cav. which lost.
while most later battles of the civ. war where Numidians/Gauls
...not paid by AGEOD.

PS:

Clausewitz

Return to “Alea Jacta Est”