wijse

Ptolemaic or "Pharaonic" Egypt?

Fri Sep 14, 2012 7:42 pm

Are we going to see a Hellenistic egypt? with mercenary greek phalangites and peltasts and native nubian, egyptian and libyan auxiliary?

I ask because a lot of screenshots show egyptian generic leader pictures of a classic pharaoh.
Attachments
1198599338_ptolemaic1.gif
Also known as wis on the paradox forums.

Narwhal

Fri Sep 14, 2012 7:53 pm

Egypt is hellenestic with Elephants

wijse

Fri Sep 14, 2012 7:57 pm

Narwhal wrote:Egypt is hellenestic with Elephants

Whats with the pharaoh picture then? and are we going to see nubian, egyptian and libyan auxiliaries?
Also known as wis on the paradox forums.

Narwhal

Fri Sep 14, 2012 8:20 pm

Quickly enough, the Ptolemeic dynastic used "classic" Egyptian iconography for obvious reason.

Ptolémée VI :

Ptolémée XI

Same picture, two kings - you can't trust the Internet :)

There are all sort of auxiliaries, of all nationalities, but Egyptian auxiliaries are still hellenistic.

Boomer
Lieutenant Colonel

Fri Sep 14, 2012 8:21 pm

I think this is an issue that goes way back. Even as far back as 2004, the first Rome Total War game had 'Egyptian' leaders, and fans made such a stink about it that almost all future mods had Hellenistic Greek rulers instead. It's a flip of the coin really. Historically the Ptolemy dynasty took on the trappings and titles of the Pharaohs, even if their bloodline, language, and culture was still entirely Greek.

As far as the units go, it looks like a little of both will be included.

Sir Garnet

Fri Sep 14, 2012 8:46 pm

Usurpers frequently take on as many of the trappings of legitimacy of the prior regime as possible - Alexander himself affected customs of the Persian King of Kings.

Rome Total War's Egyptian army was anachronistic for the period of the game - that aside, it was a fun oddity to fight against.

PANGI

Sat Sep 15, 2012 7:20 am

The story behind this is this:

I need to make generic egyptian ruler pic and dont know which symbols ptolemaic kings used - presumed that they still used ancient pharaoh's crown. which was confirmed for me by the coin narwahl posted. but if its ahistorical we can still change it.

edit: now i found that they maybe used a crown with sun rays as seleucid:

crown1.jpg

crown1.jpg
Attachments
crown2.jpg
ImageImage

BodyBag
Private

Sat Sep 15, 2012 8:04 am

PANGI wrote:The story behind this is this:

I need to make generic egyptian ruler pic and dont know which symbols ptolemaic kings used - presumed that they still used ancient pharaoh's crown. which was confirmed for me by the coin narwahl posted. but if its ahistorical we can still change it.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]19838[/ATTACH]
[ATTACH=CONFIG]19839[/ATTACH]

Hi

Are you still right now working on the game up till release the 19th?

Is that why we all have to walk around in circles for 4 more days... damn you :-)

PANGI

Sat Sep 15, 2012 8:28 am

I'm not sure if its becouse of me :) But yes, im still working on AJE. But i think i will make more for the game in near future anyway...
ImageImage

yellow ribbon

Sat Sep 15, 2012 9:02 am

PANGI wrote:The story behind this is this:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]19838[/ATTACH]
[ATTACH=CONFIG]19839[/ATTACH]

not really a-historical, as there is a problem what you want to depict. 250 years the Ptol. didnt change the temples art/clerical use of icons. i searched around in the digitalized library last evening, for the same time you find a large quantity of images on coins and sculptures which would be clearly "Greek" / hard to distinct from greeks...

but the thread really calls out for being put into the historical discussions thread and some market research for a sprite pack in few months ^^
...not paid by AGEOD.
however, prone to throw them into disarray.

PS:

‘Everything is very simple in War, but the simplest thing is difficult. These difficulties accumulate and produce a friction which no man can imagine exactly who has not seen War . . . in War, through the influence of an infinity of petty circumstances, which cannot properly be described on paper, things disappoint us, and we fall short of the mark.‘

Clausewitz

Florent

Sat Sep 15, 2012 10:33 am

Pangi, it seems that the Crown 1 are Angus Mc Bride Art. Is this the Montvert Publication about Seleucids ? It doesn't seem to be Osprey ?

Florent

Sat Sep 15, 2012 10:43 am

Cleopatra here in a greek hair cut.
Attachments
Cleopatra.jpg

PANGI

Sat Sep 15, 2012 1:44 pm

Florent wrote:Pangi, it seems that the Crown 1 are Angus Mc Bride Art. Is this the Montvert Publication about Seleucids ? It doesn't seem to be Osprey ?

Yeah. From Montvert "Seleucid and Ptolemaic reformed armies" with McBride's illustrations (love his work)
ImageImage

Return to “Alea Jacta Est”