Drax
Corporal

Unofficial quick fixes for the fearless

Mon Feb 06, 2012 9:00 pm

Fearless like in "who do not fear to get his/her hands dirty with a little file editing" :D

There are several little annoying bugs or mistakes in various files of the game that are "easily" fixed with little work. These will be probably fixed by AGEOD, but they can't possibly release a patch as soon as a glitch is discovered.
However the adventurous gamer has not to wait for an official patch to polish his/her game. I personally can't bear to let a something broken if I know how to fix it, so here are my little fixes.

Disclaimers:
- This is completely unsupported by AGEOD nor PARADOX, they won't provide support if you break your game.

- In case a new patch is released, all these fixes will probably not work anymore, but more importantly there is NO guarantee that these fixes will not interfere with the future patch. So, if you are not confident stay away from these! (However the worst thing that could happen is to have to reinstall the game clean)

- If you don't know what is a file, or that you should make a backup in a safe place (and remember where is that safe place 3 month later) of every file you modify or replace, please, wait for official patches. Thank you! ^^

Quick Fix #1: opt_notify_DecreeXXPassed

You've all seen this strange message once in a while (the turn after you took a government Decree in F1 to be accurate). This is because there is a slight mistake in "LocalStrings_VGN.csv" game file, that governs almost all text you see in the game and/or "CMN General Measures.sct" file which command what happens with Decrees. The last file calls for "opt_notify_DecreeXXPassed", but the localstring file only knows "opt_notifyDecreeXXPassed", so you get the name of the "missing" string, instead of the text.

How to fix:
1- Download the attached file, and unzip it
2- go to your game \Pride of Nations\VGN\Events directory
3- copy the original file "CMN General Measures.sct" to a safe place
4- replace it with the one in the zip file
done!
Attachments
notify_fix01.zip
(5.17 KiB) Downloaded 308 times
Les impatients ne savent pas ce qui est bon.

Drax
Corporal

Mon Feb 06, 2012 9:13 pm

Quick Fix #2: Newspaper title alignement

There is this little aesthetical issue reported by Kensai @ Paradox forum with the Newspaper title misaligned. I might as well copy here for those interested the quick fix I found.

Problem:

Solution:

1- go to \VGN\FrontEnd folder
2- find the "EventWindow.fte" file
3- open it with notepad or a better text editor, and modify these lines:
Caption0 = 80|120|0 <------ change 120 to 132
Various7 = 540|120|0 <---- change 120 to 133 (not 132 or the date will look a little higher than the title, thats because the relative height is taken from the top of characters, not the middle height)
4- save.
That's it.

How it looks after:

Kensai

Mon Feb 06, 2012 10:52 pm

Impressive! Regarding the newspaper fix, are you certain that by fixing the Japanese one you don't mess with the other "editions" (British, French, etc)?
Care to unify Germany as Austria? Recreate the Holy Roman Empire of the 20th Century:
Großdeutschland Mod
Are you tough enough to impersonate the Shogun and defy the Westerners? Prove it:
Shogun Defiance Mod (completed AAR)

Laruku
General of the Army

Mon Feb 06, 2012 11:49 pm

Interesting fixes.

Drax
Corporal

Tue Feb 07, 2012 12:35 am

Kensai wrote:Impressive! Regarding the newspaper fix, are you certain that by fixing the Japanese one you don't mess with the other "editions" (British, French, etc)?

Yes. Look at my french newspaper ^^
But I thought about that too, before doing anything, and compared all newspapers images.
There is a frame common to all (including the 2 black lines above and below the title, and the image of the text on the right side).

I'll do another one for the Battle Report screen. When there is a lot of casualties, both sides report lines go beyond the screen left and right, so you actually can't read half the line... Its easy to fix but icons have to be moved. Trickier but it should work.

thanks for the feedback ^^

Laruku
General of the Army

Tue Feb 07, 2012 1:30 am

The Japanese newspaper header is in Chinese, and the Chinese one in Japanese. There was a post that explained that, btw, and it can be easily fixed.

Drax
Corporal

Tue Feb 07, 2012 10:19 pm

Laruku wrote:The Japanese newspaper header is in Chinese, and the Chinese one in Japanese. There was a post that explained that, btw, and it can be easily fixed.

Are you sure that hasn't been patched already?
Because in the above screen, playing japanese, the newspaper displays a japanese title (as far as i can tell...). I don't see any issue here :confused:
(however it was not supposed to be another bug report thread :D )

Laruku
General of the Army

Tue Feb 07, 2012 11:54 pm

Totally sure because I have just checked it.
Look here:

C:\Games\Pride of Nations\VGN\Graphics\FrontEnd\EventWindow

EventBack_CHI.png --> clearly those are Japanese characters (kanji + hiragana)
EventBack_JAP.png --> just Chinese characters

That was confirmed in this post. I changed manually the names and they worked:

http://www.ageod-forum.com/showpost.php?p=218583&postcount=5

Funnily, there is a not used Japanese header:
JAP_NotUsed.png --> Japanese characters.

Drax
Corporal

Wed Feb 08, 2012 11:50 am

Aaah you're right... So that's the 3rd quick fix! =)

btw thanks for the pointer to your mod, I missed it somehow, it looks very good.

Mac Linehan
Private

Sat Feb 11, 2012 9:29 pm

Drax wrote:Fearless like in "who do not fear to get his/her hands dirty with a little file editing" :D

There are several little annoying bugs or mistakes in various files of the game that are "easily" fixed with little work. These will be probably fixed by AGEOD, but they can't possibly release a patch as soon as a glitch is discovered.
However the adventurous gamer has not to wait for an official patch to polish his/her game. I personally can't bear to let a something broken if I know how to fix it, so here are my little fixes.

Disclaimers:
- This is completely unsupported by AGEOD nor PARADOX, they won't provide support if you break your game.

- In case a new patch is released, all these fixes will probably not work anymore, but more importantly there is NO guarantee that these fixes will not interfere with the future patch. So, if you are not confident stay away from these! (However the worst thing that could happen is to have to reinstall the game clean)

- If you don't know what is a file, or that you should make a backup in a safe place (and remember where is that safe place 3 month later) of every file you modify or replace, please, wait for official patches. Thank you! ^^

Quick Fix #1: opt_notify_DecreeXXPassed

You've all seen this strange message once in a while (the turn after you took a government Decree in F1 to be accurate). This is because there is a slight mistake in "LocalStrings_VGN.csv" game file, that governs almost all text you see in the game and/or "CMN General Measures.sct" file which command what happens with Decrees. The last file calls for "opt_notify_DecreeXXPassed", but the localstring file only knows "opt_notifyDecreeXXPassed", so you get the name of the "missing" string, instead of the text.

How to fix:
1- Download the attached file, and unzip it
2- go to your game \Pride of Nations\VGN\Events directory
3- copy the original file "CMN General Measures.sct" to a safe place
4- replace it with the one in the zip file
done!

Drax -

Thank You for your work!

Mac

Drax
Corporal

Sun Feb 12, 2012 1:12 pm

Glad to help =)

Return to “PON Mods”